Launch Member

Member I

California, USA
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Hecker
Member #

Making my first post on my build. I have a 2018 GC Overland with the High Altitude Package. Here's a list of the build so far:
1) Fuel Wheels- 18"
2) BGF KO2 tires- 265/65R18
3) Chief Products Rock Rails- Bare Bones
4) Chief Products Lower Front Guard
5) Chief Products Recovery Hooks
6) Gobi stealth roof rack (with customization)- with Maxtrax/Shovel/Axe attachments

This post is a run through on the front tow hook install for anyone unsure or questioning the purchase.

I love Chief Products and am pretty loyal to the company. I think their customer service is unprecedented along side their products. These WK2 Recovery Hooks are no exception. I feel they give a nice flare to the Jeep while also providing solid anchor points for when I help pull people out of the snow/mud (or when I get stuck- we have all been there). They also look a little different than the OEM hooks which I really like. The heaviness and build quality of these hooks is exceptional.

I wont go into detail on every step because Chief explains it very well. However some tips below may help.

I already had my lower front guard installed awhile back, and I didn't want to remove it just to install hooks. Luckily the instructions by Chief are really good and easy to understand, and it's very doable to attach these without removing the guard. I finger tightened the front most bolt and nut together (connecting the hook and middle plate) before installing the three pieces (outermost plate as well) onto the frame. It helped keep everything together and you'd have a difficult time dropping in the front most bolt down into the hook if you installed everything underneath already. Tightening the back bolt attainable via accessing behind the wheel well cover (you only need to remove one screw at the lower end and then fold it out of the way). A simple socket set and wrench will do the trick for this quick and easy install. The hardest part (if installing with the lower front guard on already) is getting the front bolt started with your fingers into the frame- it's just a tight space.

Attached are some pics. Hope you all enjoy.B5881CBE-3355-4B45-9B9B-B115CED4DF9D.JPGB5881CBE-3355-4B45-9B9B-B115CED4DF9D.JPGIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2889.JPGIMG_2883.JPGIMG_2886.JPGIMG_2887.JPGIMG_2892.JPGIMG_2893.JPG

The Ox

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

California, USA
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Hecker
Member #

Those look nice. What’s next?
Thanks! For the next project I’m thinking of adding a winch. I’m in between two winches: Warn VR Evo 10S or the Smittybilt Gen2 X20. Do you (or anyone else out there) have personal experience with either of these models? I think they are both very solid platforms.

thanks for the input

The Ox

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have seen both firsthand at 4wheel parts, but have no knowledge of either.