FOR SALE 10% DISCOUNT GUARANTEED! Torro Offroad Group buy opportunity: 10-15% savings. 7 Feb order deadline

• HTML tutorial

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Hi, I am relatively new to the Overland Bound forum, and spend most of my time on OB lurking and checking out your ideas as I transition to taking my whole family out on the trail in my 2010 TE and 2007 Tundra DC. I know new members whose 1st posts include an offer to buy something are looked at with caution/suspicion. So I offer that I have been a supporting member over on the IH8MUD forum for 15+ years, where I go by stumpalama there as well, and I am the VP of Capital Land Cruiser Club in Northern Virginia as proof I am not a scammer or a secret vendor. I have no affiliation with the seller other than as a prospective customer. I am only offering the group buy as a way to save a few coins and help a guy establish his business. I don't get any special discount beyond what is offered with this group buy; I get the same deal everyone else gets and will be counted as one of the buyers.

Now onto the important stuff:

The weekend before last, I went and checked out a RTT from a seller local to me in Virginia, Torro Offroad. He is importing ikamper Skycamp style RTTs from China. I am looking for a side opening hard-shell RTT that can fit my family of 4 and have seen only a few options , with ikamper being the de facto standard. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of materials, construction and fit and finish of the shell and the tent. It is high quality and, IMHO, a solid deal. I am a cheap bastard and it's saying something if I am going to drop $3K on a piece of gear. He has done his research and hooked up with a good manufacturer. Like I said, he is a local guy in the Alexandria/Arlington, VA (but shipping nationwide is free) area. He is getting established and has sold and delivered several tents.

For the past few months, I've been torturing myself over the possibility of buying an ikamper RTT, but the price of the tent and then the additional cost of the annex and awning was keeping me from pulling the trigger. I started looking around for similar style tents and found this one. The fact that I could put my hands on it, open it up and sit/lay in it was just what I needed to do to help me make the decision.
I am ordering one this month, and in talking with him, I thought there might be an opportunity to get a break on the pricing, so I offered to setup a group buy to help him fill his shipping container and us to get a price break.

The Tent:

He has 2 sizes of RTT, one that fits 2-3 and one that fits 4. The package includes 2 hanging shoe/gear bags, quilted winter insulation liner, awning with poles AND the annex with poles, all of which you would have to order separately if you bought an ikamper Skycamp; plus, purchasing all those additional items would bring the total investment to $5400. We can save between $2300 and $2500.

Tent Specs:

SkyLux Bantam (2-3 person) Specs:
Open: 4'10" x 6'11"
Closed: 4'10 x 4ft
Weight: 121 lbs

SkyLux (4 person) Specs:
Open: 6'3" x 7'3"
Closed: 6'3" x 4'7"
Weight: 150 lbs

The Deal:

10% to 15% discount, depending on how many are ordered with the discount code "OVERLAND2020". The package includes 2 hanging shoe/gear bags, quilted winter insulation, the awning with poles AND the annex with poles, for $3400 (full size tent) or $2997 (Bantam size tent) (not including the 10%-15% group discount if we can get 5 or more peeps to order). If we get 5 -14 buyers (or close), the discount is 10% and if we get 15 or more buyers, the discount is 15%;.

The Math:

Skylux full size:
10% discount = $3060
15% discount = $2890

Skylux Bantam
10% discount = $2697
15% discount = $2548

If we get 5 people to order tents BEFORE 7 FEBRUARY, we all get 10% off; 15 or more and we save 15%. Plus it is free shipping to your door. The Overland Bound discount code is "OVERLAND2020". He will automatically apply the discount code, once the sales hit the appropriate gates. Also, if you are around Northern Virginia and want to see and touch the tent before committing, he is happy to meet and show it off, so you can check it out in person. I can schedule a meetup with him pretty easily.

The owner's name is Corey and he wanted me to post his tech number to answer any questions. 1-888-585-1245

Post up if you are interested or have questions. You can also PM me.

Here is a link to some pics I took of the tent: Torro Offroad RTT

Cheers,
Mike "Stump" Thomas

Attachments

superman910

Rank I

Contributor III

Virginia
First Name
Eric
Last Name
S
I got the skylux bantam like version aka Queen size from another vendor. Definitely a solid setup camped in it a few times already.

Would have jumped on this one in a heart beat. Good prices.

Be interested to see a diagram of dimensions of that king size.

Shout-out from NOVA as well.

Reactions: Stumpalama

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Hmm...would I have seen that Jeep in the Annandale area yesterday? I remember the RTT on top of it because I glanced at the name on the front of the tent. Good looking Jeep!

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Hmm...would I have seen that Jeep in the Annandale area yesterday? I remember the RTT on top of it because I glanced at the name on the front of the tent. Good looking Jeep!
High probability you did... The Jeep in the pics is his and he lives in/around Annandale...

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Seems like a pretty good deal. Can this be mounted the other way so the opening is on the driver side?
These are meant to be mounted so that the tent opens on the passenger side. I wouldn't mount it "the other way" the roof of a vehicle. Though, I have seen them mounted backwards when mounted to a pick-up truck bed rack that is below the cab roof line.

Vert20

Rank 0

Contributor I

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Donni
Last Name
Melendez
Just did 15 minutes of research when you said the guy went through a manufacture in China. After jumping on the alibaba site it didn’t take long to find the same manufacture selling these for about 1k.

you can even provide your own logo and start reselling them just like Torro Off-road! Nice markup even with the group buy.

Reactions: Tommy B

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Just did 15 minutes of research when you said the guy went through a manufacture in China. After jumping on the alibaba site it didn’t take long to find the same manufacture selling these for about 1k.

you can even provide your own logo and start reselling them just like Torro Off-road! Nice markup even with the group buy.
I surfed alibaba as well, when I started looking at the ikamper. It quickly became apparent that the quality was all over the map and it wasn't worth my time to try to filter the good from the bad, Did you factor in the added costs for shipping, brokerage and customs? I didn't see your costs for the annex, awning and winter insulation. I'm not here to debate whether or not one can get the same tent for cheaper... There is always a cheaper option, IF you are willing to put in the time, due diligence, and are willing to accept the risk. I'm fairly certain those Chinese suppliers don't offer a 90 satisfaction guarantee or a 3 year warranty. Those are factors I take into consideration when assessing the value, to me, of a high cost item I am looking to purchase.
That's a sweet striped mattress cover, btw.

From my discussions with Corey, the vendor, he has done his due diligence with the supplier and incorporated addition features (such as taped seams, led lighting inside and out, gear bags, and the awning and annex) into these tents not provided on the average tent found on alibaba.

I have no affiliation with this vendor, other than my interest in the tent, getting a discount and helping a local guy succeed.

What do you think is an acceptable mark-up for roof top tents? What do you think the average mark-up is for a rooftop tent? What do you think the mark-up is for this tent? Did you consider the vendor's cost to provide free shipping, nationwide?

Perceived value will be different for everyone, and you don't see it in this product.

there's tons of ikamper knock offs on alibaba. for 3k, why would you NOT get an iKamper?
The Skycamp is $3900, for the tent alone. When you add all the extra's in this deal, the cost of the Skycamp climbs to around $5400... One could almost buy 2 of the Torro tents for that much money.

That's why I haven't bought the ikamper. There are a couple aspects of the ikamper that i don't like and couldn't see paying that cost for. For example, the hanging gear bags hang way under the edger of the panel, to the point where one risks falling out of the tent when trying to access them from the tent; the thinner, 2 piece mattress.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabjku and No mad

No mad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Crutcher
Member #

I just moved in the Chesapeake area and I’m very interested in joining this buy. I noticed the 280 gsm is there any possibility to get the 300, just a question and I still want in on the buy.

No mad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Crutcher
Member #

I just moved in the Chesapeake area and I’m very interested in joining this buy. I noticed the 280 gsm is there any possibility to get the 300, just a question and I still want in on the buy.
And also how fast will be the shipping if we purchased now?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I surfed alibaba as well, when I started looking at the ikamper. It quickly became apparent that the quality was all over the map and it wasn't worth my time to try to filter the good from the bad, Did you factor in the added costs for shipping, brokerage and customs? I didn't see your costs for the annex, awning and winter insulation. I'm not here to debate whether or not one can get the same tent for cheaper... There is always a cheaper option, IF you are willing to put in the time, due diligence, and are willing to accept the risk. I'm fairly certain those Chinese suppliers don't offer a 90 satisfaction guarantee or a 3 year warranty. Those are factors I take into consideration when assessing the value, to me, of high cost item I am looking to purchase.
That's a sweet stripped mattress cover, btw.

From my discussions with Corey, the vendor, he has don his due diligence with the supplier and incorporated addition features (such as taped seams, led lighting inside and out, gear bags, and the awning and annex) into these tents not provided on the average tent advertised on alibaba.

I have no affiliation with this vendor, other than my interest in the tent, getting a discount and helping a local guy succeed.

What do you think is an acceptable mark-up for roof top tents? What do you think the average mark-up is for a rooftop tent? What do you think the mark-up is for this tent? Did you consider the vendor's cost to provide free shipping, nationwide?

Perceived value will be different for everyone, and you don't see it in this product.

The Skycamp is $3900, for the tent alone. When you add all the extra's in this deal, the cost of the Skycamp climbs to around $5400... One could almost buy 2 of the Torro tents for that much money.

That's why I haven't bought the ikamper. There are a couple aspects of the ikamper that i don't like and couldn't see paying that cost for. For example, the hanging gear bags hang way under the edger of the panel, to the point where one risks falling out of the tent when trying to access them from the tent; the thinner, 2 piece mattress.
Being in retail my entire life, you could not have explained this any better.

Bottom line, if you’re going to compare pricing then compare apples to apples and factor in EVERY single element to the equation, including how much time you spend doing all of the research. And, after all of that, and if you decide to place a direct order through any of those manufacturers on Alibaba, hope and pray you don’t have any issues at all.

Reactions: Mein and Stumpalama

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Being in retail my entire life, you could not have explained this any better.

Bottom line, if you’re going to compare pricing then compare apples to apples and factor in EVERY single element to the equation, including how much time you spend doing all of the research. And, after all of that, and if you decide to place a direct order through any of those manufacturers on Alibaba, hope and pray you don’t have any issues at all.
Yikes! I just reread my post you quoted and I noticed I really dropped the ball on my spelling and grammar. I fixed it in the original post. Nothing says attention to detail like misspellings and poor grammar.

The 90 day guarantee and 3 year warranty; built in LED lighting; shoe and gear bags; awning, annex and insulation, were big selling points for me.

Reactions: Mein and sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I didn't even notice the misspellings and grammar errors!:)

It definitely seems like a very good price for all that it includes!

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
I'll ask, but my theory for going with the 280 is he was trying to keep the weight down and he compromised with a slightly lighter weight fabric.
With the combo of the waterproofing and rainfly, I think the 280 will hold up fine.
We hit the 10% gate, so that is guaranteed.
It is Chinese New Year, so Corey tels me they will start back into production next week, this the 7 Feb deadline. He is aiming for a mid March delivery. I suspect he wants to have all the tents shipped from Northern Virginia I time for an early April delivery to customers... Just in time for spring camping season.
You could probably save some delivery time and pick it up in person. It's only a 3hr trip from Norfork to Arlington (it's a joke, I was stationed there many moons ago).
Give him a call directly, if you have more questions. He is happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers,
Stump

Tommy B

Rank 0

Contributor I

Well, granted there is a lot in the package. I'm still not sold on the quality. iKamper out priced itself for me...I regret not getting in on the launch when the prices were way lower. But they are over-built. I honestly would like to get in on deal like this...but then I see things like the latch system on the Torro RTT. It looks nylon straps and cam buckles instead of a legit locking latch. Does that seem like a feasible system for hard shell going for 3k? Sorry, I'm not trying to bash this product...just airing out some concerns and like I said...i like a lot about what's offered.

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Well, granted there is a lot in the package. I'm still not sold on the quality. iKamper out priced itself for me...I regret not getting in on the launch when the prices were way lower. But they are over-built. I honestly would like to get in on deal like this...but then I see things like the latch system on the Torro RTT. It looks nylon straps and cam buckles instead of a legit locking latch. Does that seem like a feasible system for hard shell going for 3k? Sorry, I'm not trying to bash this product...just airing out some concerns and like I said...i like a lot about what's offered.
Your comments are fair. I mentioned that as well, and suggested a modification like a snowboard binding ratchet and release system.
It feels to me like the current setup is a bit "belt and suspenders".
I noticed the ikamper only has the side latches; though, I'm not sure the purpose for the locks, as it seems like just an opportunity to lose the keys at the worst time or realize only after you've driven 3 hours into the woods that you accidentally left the keys on the shelf at home. The locks serve no real purpose, in my opinion.
As far as the Skylux goes, I probably won't use the front or rear straps and will only use the side Velcro as a fail safe.
The ratchets on the sides were simple and sturdy, though, like I said, I think I'll repurpose some of my old snowboard binding straps.
The straps aren't a show stopper for me.
For a mere $2500 more, you can have locking straps with the ikamper and equivalent extras. I'm being facetious.