Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hi all,

Given that our family is growing and we'll be bringing our dogs and kids with us on overlanding trips, I need to switch from our bed rack to a cab-height topper. So far, I've been looking at both the A.R.E. Overlander and A.R.E. HD Series.

Are either of these good choices for running a roof top tent (120#) + me @ 200# + my wife @ 150#?

Are there any other toppers that I should be looking at? Preference is to stay at the $2k or below mark, but I understand that if I want this thing to last with the loads that we'll have, both at static and dynamic, that I probably need to be prepared to spend more.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Pindal

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I do not think I'm the most know, but after being a couple of months searching and asking we have decided to buy a CVT with extension.
Enter this page and you can see the different models.
https://cascadiatents.com/product-category/rooftop-tents/
We are interested in durability, resistance to inclement weather, especially wind, rain and snow. Then also the price is a factor, but when you are thinking of putting your family in a tent on the roof, the money is not necessarily the final factor.
We have a couple of very good tents for the ground. But those of the roof are assembled faster and you can move easily with ease, more if you think about it in times of emergency.
I think that if your family is extensive, the best can be
https://cascadiatents.com/shop/mt-denali-extended-summit-series/
or
https://cascadiatents.com/shop/mt-denali-extended-vestibule/
With these you have many spaces and possibilities to sleep.
A recommendation, from experience, that the entrance to the tent is covered, as in the two examples that I share. That will give you a lot of versatility in the use. More thinking about the money that you are going to invest.
We are not going to buy a trailer for the tent because like Michael, of OB, we think that everything has to be in the car.
I am available if you have more questions.
Hi @Pindal - Thanks for the info above. We actually already own a CVT roof top tent, but I'm looking for a topper to put it on, as I currently run bed bars for my Tacoma, but I need to enclose our dogs and gear on trips now.

You'll be happy with your CVT. We just bought my father-in-law a Smittybilt RTT, and it appears nearly identical to our CVT. I believe they're both made in the same Chinese factory.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Thank you for confirming the quality.
Maybe the only thing I do not like very much is that it is not made in the USA.
Are CVT tents made in the USA? They were made in China but not sure if they still are. I know the Smitty's are not.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I have the leer 100XL. Me, my wife and two dogs are ~550lbs combined and the tent is ~165lbs(I think). The shop that installed it was extremely confident in it when they had every opportunity to sell me a more expensive, more rugged, shell. I love this shell. So many options, really clean and sleek. I got a bunch of added options like remote keyless, LED bars and 12V adapter. Came out to $2500 painted and installed. They are about $2150 without the options.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was talking to a guy who had the same one getting installed on the day I was picking mine up. He said it was the second one he had and Leer was replacing it for free after 10 years because there was some cracks forming where his roof rack attached.

Last edited:

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

What a good reference. I decided to put a rack in my truck because I do not trust the ressistence of the shells to put an RTT. (I also have a Tundra)
I was super skeptical about the shell. I probably drove the dealer crazy with all my questions, calls, math, etc... I have done a lot of business with them now and I am glad I trusted them. It has been on there for several months and 6+ camping trips and I couldn't be happier.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Excellent, in the end, the important thing is that you feel safe, for you and your family.
Someone on these sides put a rack and then an inner shell, I think it's a customizer. But anyway I would like to know who did it.
The company that did my shell, Mobile Living in Concord, CA, said they could do custom reinforcement with a rack-like setup inside the shell if I wanted.

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I also have a Tundra, but opt for the "Leitner Designs Active Cargo System" (best of all is that they no longer come with the silver horizontals, everything is black, except the handles that are still silver but very easy to paint) . I realized that I am about 3 inches taller than the cabin, so now I need to better review the parking lots I'm going to go to.
In a couple of weeks I put the "Decked". For a few more months it would be the roof top tent.
I would like more people with Tundra to show their equipment or modifications, that would inspire many (sometimes it seems that everything is 4Runner, Tacomas and Jeep).
With that I am already a beginner.
I am putting in a decked system on the 8th. As far as parking lots go, I wont enter if under 9' clearance. Check out my Tundra build thread if you are interested. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2013-toyota-tundra-starting-june-10-2018.15511/

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I have the leer 100XL. Me, my wife and two dogs are ~550lbs combined and the tent is ~165lbs(I think). The shop that installed it was extremely confident in it when they had every opportunity to sell me a more expensive, more rugged, shell. I love this shell. So many options, really clean and sleek. I got a bunch of added options like remote keyless, LED bars and 12V adapter. Came out to $2500 painted and installed. They are about $2150 without the options.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was talking to a guy who had the same one getting installed on the day I was picking mine up. He said it was the second one he had and Leer was replacing it for free after 10 years because there was some cracks forming where his roof rack attached.

I think 10 years is liveable for sure, and if Leer replaced it for free, I would have zero worries. My tent is also smaller than yours, so I would hope that a topper would last a long time. Thanks!

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I am putting in a decked system on the 8th. As far as parking lots go, I wont enter if under 9' clearance. Check out my Tundra build thread if you are interested. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2013-toyota-tundra-starting-june-10-2018.15511/
This is definitely one aspect I'm not looking forward to. Currently, I can pull my truck into the garage with the RTT on. That'll all go away when I get the topper unfortunately. On and off after every trip

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

In regards to the shell. I have a rhino pioneer rack and then I have the mount Shasta cvt tent which is assembled in Canada. Then I have rhino 270 awning. I weight at 220, wife is at 125 and my duaghter is at 100. No cracks and I have put it through everything

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

In regards to the shell. I have a rhino pioneer rack and then I have the mount Shasta cvt tent which is assembled in Canada. Then I have rhino 270 awning. I weight at 220, wife is at 125 and my duaghter is at 100. No cracks and I have put it through everything
Perfect! I think I'm sold then. Just have to find a good deal on a used topper or fork out for something new. My plan is to build a DIY unistrut rack on the topper (super strong) and run the tent that way. Thanks!

Reactions: Cpol