Top Three MVE (Most Valuable Equipment)

• HTML tutorial

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

I’m about to take the plunge and prepare for some overland camping. I’m not new to camping but this is the first time I’ve seriously considered going out past the camp grounds and into the “wild”.
What I am specifically looking for is everyone’s top 3 mods, must have, most valuable equipment. That thing that you’ve found yourself using more than anything or being surprised in its proven usefulness. That thing you forgot once and you didn’t think it was a big deal until it was or just the best bang for the buck value. The vehicle I’m about to modify is a 2009 Tundra in excellent condition but I’m not afraid of collecting some scars for the sake of a good time. Thanks in advance for all your replies!!!

Reactions: bajatacoguy

rustyrobo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Longmont, CO, USA
Member #

I didn't think I needed a fridge in the backcountry until I got one. This has revolutionized my camp meal prep and allowed for 5-7 days in the bush with out fear of spoiled meats and soaking wet vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: BigJoe1960

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

It depends on where you're going but in general I would say
Lift and tires together
Recovery boards
And your choice of refilling tires, even the harbor freight compressor is a good start it's better than plastic road side kit compressors
I would put diff breathers at the top if your thinking water

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Wet Wipes. Just kidding. No seriously, Wet Wipes. Followed closely by the fridge, probably the single best investment I have made is the Dometic CF50 fridge.

Sent from the Mountains

Reactions: Cottonwoody

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

My preference:

1. Recovery gear (and knowledge on how to use it)
2. Compressor (especially if you're going out alone)
3. A comfortable means to sleep. Doesn't matter if you're in a RTT, ground tent, or your truck's bed. Padding & warmth go a long way.

-CP TACO
OB #2376

Reactions: BigJoe1960

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Safety First....
Some form of communication
Means to collect water
First Aid/Trauma Kit

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

Thanks for the replies so far! It sounds like I'll probably start with a good fridge and power source then work towards recovery related hardware... I keep a number of first aid kits handy and close by where ever I go.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

That lil baofeng radio is pretty handy. Trying out a fridge this week and lastly the 440p compressor is prett handy

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

If I am not by myself then my list changes, but this is based on being by myself (no kids or wife)

Jetboil
GSI Cookware set (including plates, bowls, silverware, etc...)
Flashlight (A good one)

Reactions: stoney126