Too Young to Wheel?

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

1. At what age do you think someone is too young to wheel off-road?
  2. At what age do you think you should start teaching your kid to wheel off-road?

I first learned to off-road on an ATV and to drive using grandpas tractor on the farmland at the age of 7 or so.
I'm still debating at what age I want to do the same for my children, so I'm curious for those of you who have children and your thoughts?​

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I think it all depends on the kid. I started with my very first vehicle. A Jeep Liberty. I was apparently a little too young at the age of 16 because I absolutely destroyed that poor Jeep. But I was immature. Didn’t have anyone to look to for off-road advice, never did it before. Just me, a Jeep, some trails, and a lot of broken parts.

But, a kid who just got their license, but has had a lot of guidance and first hand experience, might be a little more mature and understands the right way and the wrong way to do things. Also understands the risks and consequences of poor decisions.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

At the age of 6 I started driving. (Never on a public road.) My dad always next to me. Started off on a sand route in low range. As i got better he started giving me more freedom. Age 10 i was allowed to drive on my own on the farm.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

1. At what age do you think someone is too young to wheel off-road?
  2. At what age do you think you should start teaching your kid to wheel off-road?

I first learned to off-road on an ATV and to drive using grandpas tractor on the farmland at the age of 7 or so.
I'm still debating at what age I want to do the same for my children, so I'm curious for those of you who have children and your thoughts?​
It all depends on the kid. Some are ready at 12 or 13. Some 15 or 17. I started driving off the roads by 10ish. We started with a minivan on a beach. Easy and open. No major obstacles.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Bozeman

Reactions: Jorrie

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My kid went on his first trail run at ~4 months :D .

I intend to get him into powered vehicles at age 2.5 or 3, with those little electric trucks. My goal is to get him out there sooner rather than later to build physical confidence

Also, it will give me an excuse to buy myself a dirtbike or ATV in a few years......

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My kid went on his first trail run at ~4 months :D .

I intend to get him into powered vehicles at age 2.5 or 3, with those little electric trucks. My goal is to get him out there sooner rather than later to build physical confidence

Also, it will give me an excuse to buy myself a dirtbike or ATV in a few years......
I think that is key. Getting your kid on the trail, understanding proper technique, recovery, safety, etc. Operating the vehicle comes after that.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I think that is key. Getting your kid on the trail, understanding proper technique, recovery, safety, etc. Operating the vehicle comes after that.
Yup! I figure the more I can help him understand about the physics involved in motorsports, the better he can understand the decisions (from minor line corrections on the trail, all the way to speeding on the street) and consequences of those decisions as they apply to wheeling and motor safety in general.