Too simple to sleep in my 5th Gen 4Runner?

• HTML tutorial

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
My needs are simple. I want to camp with my dog infrequently and at times spontaneously. Have seen some excellent sleeping platforms and RTT set-ups, but the only one that came close to my needs was a lightweight cot that fits nicely in my truck. The drop-off from folded rear seats to the cargo area is around 3 inches (calibrated eyeball for now).

That said, why not simply cut some rigid foam insulation panels and make a hinged subplatform for the cargo area. Even a "Jacob's Ladder" will fold nicely for storage. Then drop a sleeping pad or softer foam beneath the sleeping bag, and I'm done.

BTW, my rescue gear packs tightly into two containers and some door pockets, so it can go up front at night, along with food. Other non edibles can stay on the roof or under the vehicle as necessary overnight.

Too simple? I mean me, not the idea...

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

That's and interesting idea making your sleeping platform out of rigid insulation. I wonder if that would work?

Here's some pics of my sleeping arrangement, maybe they'll give you some ideas.

The rear portion is kept in place with some shackles on the cargo D-rings. The front portion rides upside down on the back portion while in transit. I though about folding options and hinges, but this works and is simple. I usually leave the back part in even when I'm not camping and leave the front part in my garage.
600_8961.jpg 600_8970.jpg 600_9073.jpg 600_9428.jpg 600_9549.jpg 600_9631.jpg

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's and interesting idea making your sleeping platform out of rigid insulation. I wonder if that would work?

Here's some pics of my sleeping arrangement, maybe they'll give you some ideas.

The rear portion is kept in place with some shackles on the cargo D-rings. The front portion rides upside down on the back portion while in transit. I though about folding options and hinges, but this works and is simple. I usually leave the back part in even when I'm not camping and leave the front part in my garage.
View attachment 22936 View attachment 22937 View attachment 22938 View attachment 22939 View attachment 22940 View attachment 22941
Nice, clean and simple build for your needs. I like that. Since I only dream of longer trips, I won't have the larger gear and storage requirements, so the elevated compartments are not yet necessary to build. That said, I really like the slide-out with table top. Have you considered handles for the drawers? I've seen a few that use bottle openers as handles for that whole form/function thing. Oh, and that Pellegrino orange soda goes great with vodka or as a splash in tequila--or so i've heard!

Reactions: MBroenkow

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Its a work in progress, handle will come some day : ) The elevated area in the back is necessary to fit over the folded down rear seats for the flat sleeping surface. It could have been maybe a half inch lower but I wanted the drawer to fit my camp stove. The space below is always really handy.

Reactions: SAFETYRUNNER

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Mine's a 4th Gen, but that's essentially what I do. I've done two trips thus far (3 days and 5 days) where I've gone somewhere with my motorcycle and I just sleep in the back. After the first trip, I decided to remove the back seat bottoms (two bolts each) to give myself some more headroom (I'm 6'3"). I have an inflatable REI pad and a sleeping bag and I'm good to go. I'm pretty minimalistic when it comes to meals, etc. (from motorcycle camping for so many years). I bring a Jet Boil, a few boil in bag meals, and some Starbucks vias and that's most of what I need for food. I have a small soft-side cooler for the beers. Everything stays inside with me at night or goes on the roof.

This was from this past weekend:

Reactions: MBroenkow

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

After the first trip, I decided to remove the back seat bottoms (two bolts each) to give myself some more headroom
I do that as well. Not for the headroom, but to recover the lost footwell space when the seat bottom is tumbled forward. In my Outback, I kept a lot of heavy seldom used stuff there, and really missed having that space available in the 4Runner.

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
[QUOTE="This was from this past weekend:
[/QUOTE]

What's on your roof rack, or is that an optical illusion of something behind the 4R?

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I saw this bu BouldER on the T4R.org forum, and it is very simple and clean when covered by carpet. Custom fit to the rear of the 4Runner and raises the back to the level of the folded seats.

For those not familiar with the truck, the issue is caused by those vehicles that exclude a third row of seats and the sliding cargo tray. Many of the Trail Edition trim vehicles come with the cargo tray, which results in a flat sleeping or loading surface. I wish I had that now.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Have you considered handles for the drawers? I've seen a few that use bottle openers as handles for that whole form/function thing.
@SAFETYRUNNER Thanks for the idea! I've been thinking about this since you mentioned it. Friday night I looked around on Amazon and found one I figured would work out well. It arrived at 8:00 this (Sunday) morning! I think it turned out pretty well for almost zero effort!

700_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: YETI X and Boort

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
When I sleep in my X, I use an old heavy foam mattress float my mother bought at a Sam's club years ago. It's only about three inches thick and rolls up nicely ... It works for me and that's all that really matters! Whatever works for you is all that should matter.

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@SAFETYRUNNER Thanks for the idea! I've been thinking about this since you mentioned it. Friday night I looked around on Amazon and found one I figured would work out well. It arrived at 8:00 this (Sunday) morning! I think it turned out pretty well for almost zero effort!

View attachment 25377
Beautiful. Should I have the pleasure of meeting you on the trails, next beer is on me!