Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Just wondering some of yalls views on something. When you see someone post pics that obviously is showing miss use of land and trails, do you comment or keep quite? Everyone is trying to get that perfect or awesome shot for social media. I get taking pictures and recording your adventures but there are so many times that by doing this that it's going 100% against the whole "take care and preserve" the land. I use to see it in backpacking a lot. People have even died trying to get a selfie or picture. I don't know, maybe it's just me but that just kinda hits a nerve. Especially when they know what they are doing is harmful but use the excuse of, "its just this one time" or my favorite..."I know this is wrong but gosh what an awesome pic"!! Maybe I'm just looking to much into it. Everyone is quick to point the blame somewhere else when trails/roads get closed or shut down. We all need to take care of what we have and appreciate nature and EVERYTHING more. Just my opinion.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I guess I agree, but at some point on the scale we all live in glass houses. And that's the issue I see, who decides what is right or wrong, and is it worth starting an argument due to your (or my) belief of what is correct behavior or not in the great outdoors. Our judgements our based on our personal beliefs, and where we live and play to a large extent. Who am I to really say how others may live and enjoy the outdoors, based on my views alone.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I guess I agree, but at some point on the scale we all live in glass houses. And that's the issue I see, who decides what is right or wrong, and is it worth starting an argument due to your (or my) belief of what is correct behavior or not in the great outdoors. Our judgements our based on our personal beliefs, and where we live and play to a large extent. Who am I to really say how others may live and enjoy the outdoors, based on my views alone.
I get what your saying and I do agree with that...to an extent. It is hard to really say whos right and whos wrong but there are those defining times when I feel it is a pretty clear as to the wrong doing or general lack of concern for things. But it will vary from person to person. I think sometimes that is where the aggravation comes from. Atleast for me.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
good question. as you can tell by the current environment we are all living in right now, its not so much what is being done as it is who is doing it.

as your picture taking example goes, its obvious how one particular person could disobey the signs saying to stay on the trail and they can walk where they want and do what they want if they get called out by someone, the person calling them out gets told to mind their own business and not go looking for trouble and starting problems, etc. and people nearby will swoop in to 'protect' the one doing wrong. then, a different person could be the one disobeying the rules doing the exact same thing and that person will get called out for it, video clip posted to facebook and the mob will want that person's head.

just like mandatory mask wearing. if i went into lowes without a mask on, i would be told to leave and if i put up a fuss, i would have a mob going off on me...yet, there are some people who go into lowes (and other places) without the mandatory mask on and nobody will dare say a word to them.

so, to answer the question...i usually won't speak to anyone concerning their wrong doing because i know i will be viewed as the "aggressor" by confronting them and then if things go south from there, i would be the one in trouble. even correcting someone on social media can have a backlash...

Last edited:

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You should say something but be tactful. People turning a blind eye is the reason why so many places get shut down. Hell I've been called out and didn't know I was in the wrong. Dude was cool about it and I still speak to him regularly. Especially since he knows the area I love to visit so well

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Saying something via comment on social media or on forums is useless so I don't. But if you are somewhere and you see someone cleary tearing up our public land for a photo op, or something dumber, like a guy trying to drive across a body of water he shouldn't be taking a vehicle into, I will definitely take it upon myself to say something that that person. I am not proud of it, but I have gotten into altercations after seeing people do stupid things like litter in a national park, or on a river bank I am fishing from, or someone trampling wild flowers for a gram shot. As I have gotten older, I have definitely found ways to be polite about telling people to pick up their trash or to refrain from doing things that ruin our public land. I don't think speaking up is for everybody, but for me, I can't stand by and watch people do stupid stuff on land we are all trying to enjoy. And yes, if I am in a public building with my young son, or my elderly relatives and I see you walking around without a mask, I will politely ask you to put your mask on.

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So are we talking to shame or not to shame. For me, I would prefer people to take it to the offender and not everywhere unless that didn't work.

At the same time, I will tell anyone to piss off.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

TREAD LIGHTLY !!
PACK OUT MORE THAN YOU PACK IN !
RESPECT NATURE, BE INVISIBLE, BE SILENT !

DONE, it really is that simple.

INTEGRITY, ETHICS, RESPECT

To be responsible, you need to address the abuses. The trick is to do that politely, to win over those too ignorant to even realize they are the problem and change that abusive behavior. Shaming is not the best first course of action, but asking a question to open a discussion can do wonders as others chime in reinforcing your veiw.

Definitely feel free to question the misuse. And ask for opinions, just as you have done here. We ALL know what is expected.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I hate when I see photos of camping next to a lake. The rule is 100ft from any water source, I see other than that here all the time. I leave it alone, I don’t see many changing their mind because of social media. When I do point something out it tends to be a education sandwich, complement, suggest the change, complement. It’s a lot easier to help people when you do attack.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

just like mandatory mask wearing. if i went into lowes without a mask on, i would be told to leave and if i put up a fuss, i would have a mob going off on me...yet, there are some people who go into lowes (and other places) without the mandatory mask on and nobody will dare say a word to them.
I'm that guy.

I've NEVER had a mask on. I go anywhere I want to. If you are at risk, stay 6 feet away from me.

I get dirty "eyeball looks" from time to time from people with masks on, but have never gotten a ticket yet from a cop in Ky or Illinois.

The survival rate is way the hell over 99% and I refuse to live in fear, so if you are in fear stay the hell away from me.

Masks are stupid.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

TREAD LIGHTLY !!
PACK OUT MORE THAN YOU PACK IN !
RESPECT NATURE, BE INVISIBLE, BE SILENT !

DONE, it really is that simple.

INTEGRITY, ETHICS, RESPECT

To be responsible, you need to address the abuses. The trick is to do that politely, to win over those too ignorant to even realize they are the problem and change that abusive behavior. Shaming is not the best first course of action, but asking a question to open a discussion can do wonders as others chime in reinforcing your veiw.

Definitely feel free to question the misuse. And ask for opinions, just as you have done here. We ALL know what is expected.
Very well said!! Thank you!

Reactions: joshjunior

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m at the age now where I don’t give a crap what some one thinks of me. (Actually never have much), so I’ll call out an offender, long loud and hard. BTW, it’s not my opinion, it is the Tread Lightly Ethics. Sometimes I’ll start like this— Hey! Are you just having a bad day or do you always have your head up your ass? Or God gave you earlobes for a good reason, so you can pull your head out of your ass. However, always with a smile in a joking manner, as we all have a bad day once in a while. If they continue being assy, then the conversation gets serious, real fast. I’ve been labeled a dog hater, a tree hugger, a nazi, a shamer, you name it I’ve earned it. I called out a guy on these forums once for parking his Jeep off trail for a photo. Granted, he was only a couple of feet off the road, but still off the trail. I laid into him. “That’s the primary reason that trails are closed down because of idiots like you! “ once he finally understood the point, he PMed me and apologized. He didn’t understand he’d done anything wrong until it was pointed out. Ya know what, if a driver doesn’t understand the basic tenents of driving in the backcountry then that driver shouldn’t be there. Me? I’m just tired of having to put up with the offspring of poor parenting. Their parents/family failed at instilling any sense of responsibility for their actions. Instead, we have a small group of spoiled, obnoxious, entitled brats that have no business being out and about. Being nice to them never works, it never has. Sometimes a 2x4 up along side the head is what works. Jeeze, what did I just post? I’m so sorry I may have hurt little Johnny’s obnoxious feelings.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm that guy.

I've NEVER had a mask on. I go anywhere I want to. If you are at risk, stay 6 feet away from me.

I get dirty "eyeball looks" from time to time from people with masks on, but have never gotten a ticket yet from a cop in Ky or Illinois.

The survival rate is way the hell over 99% and I refuse to live in fear, so if you are in fear stay the hell away from me.

Masks are stupid.
great reply! it goes along exactly with what the OP was asking about calling people out for misuse of land and trails. you feel wearing a mask is silly just like some people think that having to be told to stay on a mandatory path in a state park is silly. mask wearing in louisiana is mandatory as per the governor, and some businesses are allowed to open provided everyone wears a mask in there...too many violations and that business is going to get shut down, just like some some public areas have been shut down due to violating rules. if there is a particular business i really like going to and its getting threated to be shut down due to mask violations and i see you walking in without a mask, should i say something to you? will it help or cause trouble? same thing as people violating park rules that will eventually lead to closure.
its a tough call and each side can be argued and each side will have backers. what i mentioned earlier was the double standard that is so prevalent these days. not to get all political, but there is a concern when calling someone out. i'm a white guy in my 50s and if i were in a state park and saw a white guy around my age group walking off the designated trail and trampling plants or whatever and i called him out for it nicely and we ended up getting into it, nobody is going to care. now, if i did the same thing to a woman or a non-white, the chances are really good that they will be highly offended and any by-standers would get involved and give me crap for "bullying" or being sexist or racist, etc. so my answer to this is that even though you may be right for calling someone out for violations, it depends more on WHO is being called out and WHO is doing the calling as to what results one can expect. we have to 'tread lightly' out in nature and now we have to 'tread lightly' when dealing with people...