Toll collect system

• HTML tutorial

ALNSM_Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meulan, FRANCE
Member #

I never used one here in France, when I travel I'm not in a hurry... Plus, I'm not even sure you save so much time.
I highly suggest you to use de departemental roads instead of the expensive highways : you can stop (and pee) where ever you want, less fuel consumption, cheaper fuel and sandwich and most of the time the difference in time is not that huge.
The landscape is also better and at least you don't give your money to the sharks who run this private highway business ;)

Reactions: Rockwilder

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

Thanks Jordan, I will certainly look at that option but some of my trip needs to be getting from a to b as quick as possible so I can enjoy the destination as I will be limited on time, I guess it’s just a case of avoiding toll roads on my route planner. I know about the sharks... if we have a truck break down on a French toll road it costs a fortune, they don’t allow any other company work on a truck unless it’s their choice, then we have to pay for recovery... not cheap for a 40t truck...

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Correct Mark.

Yes, you save time using the toll badges. And the more crowded the road is, the more time you save, as it allows you to drive at 30kmh and detects the chip to open the barrier without having to stop. It's a real game changer on highways, as everybody is waiting in lines and you just drive through "VIP" lane.

The badge costs 0 if you don't use it.

Reactions: John Smith

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

My only option is to use the toll roads, if i avoid them my 7 hour drive turns into 9 hour and 20 minutes and that without considering stopping, if i have the time it would be ok, i would add an extra stop, i dont know how my 4 year old will be with that, the longest we done so far is 8 hours, after 20 minutes she starts to ask if we are almost there yet.

Reactions: 76_overlander

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have been using the toll badge for France and Spain since a few years and I really don't want to miss it.

Tomduckerz

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maasband
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Duckers
Member #

I used the toll badge 3 years in a row now. Great to have! Sometimes french people would wave and honk at me because they thought I was in the wrong line [emoji23]

Reactions: 76_overlander

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

With the badge you can use all the lanes. But to use the badge on the badge reserved / 30km/h lanes your vehicle height must not exceed 2m.
Remembered this only now.View attachment 103558
so i would be class 1 as they don't include accessories like roof boxes in the height measurement but i will need to pass under a gate not restricted to 2m as i am over that with the tent on, do they have gates over 2m that you don't need to stop at a barrier? can i go in the same lane as the trucks?

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I can't tell you for the truck lanes because I never had to pass there. But I am pretty sure that these are reserved for trucks only.
At the normal >2m lanes it will only be a very brief stop at the barrier.
The most annoying thing on these lanes is that you will be stuck in the main traffic.

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

So.. i got the badge and it worked perfect! i am yet to receive the bill but at the gates it worked well.

i always headed to the gates with the 30 above and no height restriction, normally where the trucks are passing but when there are less trucks everyone uses it. (i am over 2m)

especially good on the small gates, when there are a line of people waiting for the old couple in the camper at the front to count their coins out and you can just pass in the lane for the badge :grinning:

one tip is on the gates without the 30 above you need to go really close to the gate for it to work.

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

So.. i got the badge and it worked perfect! i am yet to receive the bill but at the gates it worked well.

i always headed to the gates with the 30 above and no height restriction, normally where the trucks are passing but when there are less trucks everyone uses it. (i am over 2m)

especially good on the small gates, when there are a line of people waiting for the old couple in the camper at the front to count their coins out and you can just pass in the lane for the badge :grinning:

one tip is on the gates without the 30 above you need to go really close to the gate for it to work.
Great!
I think I will have to pass on the truck lanes too on my next journey.

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Actually there is a new badge available including France, Spain, Italy and Portugal.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The toll bridges in Vancouver, you don't even see the toll master, never mind slow down. It is all cameras watching your license plate.
The bill arrives in the mail.
image-1.jpg

Last edited:

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The toll bridges in Vancouver, you don't even see the toll master, never mind slow down. It is all cameras watching your license plate.
The bill arrives in the mail.
View attachment 124966
In Europe the toll badge is scanned and as soon as you get a "beep" the barrier opens and you can pass.
The bill also comes in a mail and is debited automatically from your bank account.