Toby the TJ

• HTML tutorial

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Thus retroactively begins the build thread of Toby the TJ!

Start point:
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ with 110,000 mi.
3" (maybe 2.5"?) suspension lift
31" BFG AT2s
Alloy wheels in OEM style

Current:
Still a '97 TJ
33" BFG AT2s
XD Alloy wheels

One of the first mods was lighting and a CB. What better way to run lights from the battery via alligator clips attached to cut and hammered flat copper end pipes?

Months later I conceded that I was playing with fire and worked on a less sketchy wiring setup with a Blue Sea Systems fuse box which was linked to the positive battery terminal via marine terminals and wing nuts for toolless removal.

Here's the classic powerpoint wiring diagram for my electronics as of March 2017:

After the wiring shenanigans began, it was game on. This is a Jeep, it must be fixed better. My buddy mocked up a bumper I had in mind and picked up some round stock Turns out it was piping and not tubing, so the pipe benders in town couldn't bend it but worry not.

In place of a tube bender we cut v-notches with an angle grinder and deadlifted the pipes to close the gap, which was filled in with a weld.

The brushguard bumper was attached to what was left of the stock bumper by welding it to a 1/4" steel plate and putting 4 3/8" bolts through the assembly.

Now for the headlights - swapped out the stock bulbs for some KC H4 Halogens. For the price (around $90) and ease of install it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Those KCs put out a pretty crisp light pattern. Thoughts on putting in LED/HIDs for the headlights? If I do, it wouldn't be the Amazon broke college kid lights but rather a solid set from a reputable company.

As we all know, each square inch of chrome takes 5hp, so being a good jeeper, later on the black rattle can came out to fix the shiny bezels.

Last edited:

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I'd been tossing around the idea for a while, and given that I had about 4.586% of the carpet left in I decided to Raptor line the inside. $150, a couple beers and 13 hours later:

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Things were getting a bit toasty around SLO, and so did my engine:

I believe the source may've been that the epoxy I used to reconnect the vacuum tube to the air breather/exchanger box that got melted reached its flash point and kicked off the flame.

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Next up were mounts on the LOD tire carrier for an axe and shovel. A buddy and I cut some flat stock then drilled out holes to fit the pre existing hardware on the tire carrier and attached Quickfists, two for each tool. Add some black rattle can and lock nuts like a good jeep boy and we're rollin.

The hi-lift mount is a couple of lumber load plates with the channel drilled out about 1/2" to mount an eyebolt secured with a wingut through the jack on one end, and a nut and bolt through the holes meant for a cargo rack from LOD.