First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This could be a can of worms.......

My rig is a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins (400hp, 900+ ft/lbs Tq)......Translation = 9500+ pound tire eater.

I have been running Toyo MTR's 285/75-18 (35x11.50) for the life of the truck. I get about 40-45k per set, and they have load rating of 4080#.

I am wanting to step up to 37's.

I am liking the Maxxis Razrs. (40k warranty) Wondering if there is any experience here with these tires on any other fullsized diesel trucks?
I have seen a lot of Jeeps and Taco's running them, but that's nowhere near an equal comparison.

If I do decide to make the move, I will probably jump to a 20" wheel. This allows for a higher weight rating on the tires.

Thoughts.........

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This could be a can of worms.......

My rig is a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins (400hp, 900+ ft/lbs Tq)......Translation = 9500+ pound tire eater.

I have been running Toyo MTR's 285/75-18 (35x11.50) for the life of the truck. I get about 40-45k per set, and they have load rating of 4080#.

I am wanting to step up to 37's.

I am liking the Maxxis Razrs. (40k warranty) Wondering if there is any experience here with these tires on any other fullsized diesel trucks?
I have seen a lot of Jeeps and Taco's running them, but that's nowhere near an equal comparison.

If I do decide to make the move, I will probably jump to a 20" wheel. This allows for a higher weight rating on the tires.

Thoughts.........
I am running the Bighorns on my Bronco (I know not as heavy as your Ram and not the exact same tire). I love the Maxxis tire. If I keep my 2nd gen Ram I am going with the Maxxis Razr in a 35x12.50r16... You can’t go wrong with the Maxxis brand. I got mine on sale from Less Schwabs, I love their warranty combined with Maxxis warranty gives a great piece of mind.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Changing to a 20" wheel diameter is going to be counter productive in your effort to put what at times will be excessive torque to the ground.

Shortening the sidewalls will make it far more difficult to reduce inflation pressure to increase contact patch while simultaneously significantly increasing the likelihood of dismounting one or both beads when aired down.

If you have no intention of reducing inflation pressures for those purposes then 20" wheels may not make a difference. However if you are increasing the wheel diameter is not the optimal choice.

As for experience with that particular tire I have none personally.

Reactions: Brewbud

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Changing to a 20" wheel diameter is going to be counter productive in your effort to put what at times will be excessive torque to the ground.

Shortening the sidewalls will make it far more difficult to reduce inflation pressure to increase contact patch while simultaneously significantly increasing the likelihood of dismounting one or both beads when aired down.

If you have no intention of reducing inflation pressures for those purposes then 20" wheels may not make a difference. However if you are increasing the wheel diameter is not the optimal choice.

As for experience with that particular tire I have none personally.
It's rare that I air down below 40psi. Usually just enough to soften the rattle on gravel.
The reason to go to a 20 would be to keep the E rated tire. In 18's, look like the 37s are a D rating. This won't cut it when I pull my rv or my 12 ton equipment trailer.

Reactions: M Rose

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Get a set of Method Wheels for your 37x13.5r18 Maxxis Razors. Good tires. Put smaller towing tires on your current wheels, like you already are. I tried to avoid the entire extra set of wheels bit, as well. Don't waste time with that.

Friends don't let friends overland 20" wheels.

Those 37's are same e rated construction as the smaller 35's. Likely good weight rating as well. But they melt and explode under heavy towing, so D rating. If they ain't good enough for 37's, I'd question running them at all when towing.

Milder 34's and some mud rated chains (as needed) are a great towing option.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
are you sure you want Maxxis 37's in 18"?
i had a look at their website and the only 18 inch 37 i see they have is a D at a paltry 3400lb per tire
the 20's are better at around 3900. the 20's would prob be more than enough for what you need, but then your needing new rims
personally myself, i think you already have a good brand on there. Toyo's do extremely well on heavier trucks, (my truck is 4 tons too)their D ratings are good or better than Maxxis E rated, their D's are just shy of 4000lbs per tire, and you won't need to purchase new rims...unless you want new rims..:grinning:
having had 38" toyo's on my crew for almost 20 yrs, i can wholeheartedly say there are one of the better tires, in all catagories. my 16"ers are rated for almost 4200lb per.
i have never run Maxxis truck tires, but i have been running Maxxis tires on our 3 quads for yrs, and have no complaints-their very tuff tires
Yup, Just like I had mentioned in the first post, The Maxxis 37s on an 18 don't allow much payload. Hence, exploring the 20's. I have my eyes on a new wheel, but I do not want to derate my truck.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm running these on my WJ and like them so far, but i have no experience with them on my pickups... I do have a co worker who has a set on his F350 CC longbox (35x12.5R20 maybe), he only has about 10k miles on them with some of that being a trip to Utah and back pulling a 40ft gooseneck snowmobile trailer 2 weeks ago. I'll check with him and see what his first thoughts of them are. He has been ran mainly Nitto's up until now on his diesel pickups and the Toyo A/T2 on his work pickup.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I'm running these on my WJ and like them so far, but i have no experience with them on my pickups... I do have a co worker who has a set on his F350 CC longbox (35x12.5R20 maybe), he only has about 10k miles on them with some of that being a trip to Utah and back pulling a 40ft gooseneck snowmobile trailer 2 weeks ago. I'll check with him and see what his first thoughts of them are. He has been ran mainly Nitto's up until now on his diesel pickups and the Toyo A/T2 on his work pickup.
Let me know what he says. This is the wheel I am pondering....
truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-armory-5-lug-20x9-5-gunblack-std-700.jpg

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Let me know what he says. This is the wheel I am pondering....
View attachment 137097
I love those wheels appearance but I would have to question if they are a good choice on a vehicle that heavy where brake cooling is an actual thing.

I know I am just casting doubt on all of your choices here, but I hope you take it in the intended spirit.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I love those wheels appearance but I would have to question if they are a good choice on a vehicle that heavy where brake cooling is an actual thing.

I know I am just casting doubt on all of your choices here, but I hope you take it in the intended spirit.
It's all good. I was actually thinking the same thing. Black Rhino has a similar wheel with some small holes that i also like...
truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-arsenal-5-lug-20x9-5-textured-matte-black-std-700.jpg

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you have almost 8000# on your rear axle, in spec or no spec, 37's ain't going to work so hot. lol.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

It's all good. I was actually thinking the same thing. Black Rhino has a similar wheel with some small holes that i also like...
View attachment 137098
I like both wheels, maybe the one without the holes a little more they look like military beadlocks. If you're worried about braking you can always upgrade the brake system with performance rotors, pads and calipers and really if you're looking to run 37's and pull a heavy trailer that might not be a terrible idea anyway. Once the pads wear out on my Ram I'll probably look into upgrading the brake system since I'm running a bigger 35 and most of its miles have a trailer hooked to it. If you like that style you can always go full beadlock with a custom wheel....

Screenshot_20200125-073806_Chrome.jpg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I finally remembered to ask my coworker how he's liking his tires, and he really likes them. His are 35x12.5x18 on stock wheels, so a little wide for the wheel and he has the centers siped. He said it took a little adjustment of pressure to find the sweet spot but for him 60-65 is where he likes them. They handled pulling a 10k gooseneck good on snow and ice on his way back from Utah. He also said they are quieter than the ridge grapplers he's run in the past. He said he'll definitely buy them again, probably start running them on the pickups at his family farm and wants me to put them on his work pickup. So I would consider that a thumbs up for at least that size on a bigger diesel pickup. Still to early to comment much on how long they will last but I was looking at his tires today and the wear looks even and no cupping.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I finally remembered to ask my coworker how he's liking his tires, and he really likes them. His are 35x12.5x18 on stock wheels, so a little wide for the wheel and he has the centers siped. He said it took a little adjustment of pressure to find the sweet spot but for him 60-65 is where he likes them. They handled pulling a 10k gooseneck good on snow and ice on his way back from Utah. He also said they are quieter than the ridge grapplers he's run in the past. He said he'll definitely buy them again, probably start running them on the pickups at his family farm and wants me to put them on his work pickup. So I would consider that a thumbs up for at least that size on a bigger diesel pickup. Still to early to comment much on how long they will last but I was looking at his tires today and the wear looks even and no cupping.
Sounds like he likes them. I will be interested in what kind of mileage he gets out of them. I may run one more set of the Toyo's.