Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Hello all,
I have a trip to Yosemite Nation Park set for December. The NPS website says to come prepaired with snow chains.
I have an F250 4x4 with 275/70R18E All Terains.

My questions are:
1. How many pairs should I take? 1 or 2 pairs?
2. What are some brand recomendations that I should look at?

I may have some new Falkin Wildpeaks by then, if Santa is good to me and mails them early. :)

Thanks all!
73's

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

We have spent numerous winters in the Valley, While we had dual set of chains for the LandCruiser, n.e.v..e.r deployed them. One New Year's morning there was 4" of fresh snow on the Tent. We drove to the Lodge for Breakfast (Planned) returned to Camp, Lit a hot fire and planned the next couple days. Yosemite is winter is wonderful. 90% less people and vehicles. Telemark opportunities are wonderful.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would get 2 pairs of chains, one set front, and one set for the rear. Stay away from cable chains for trail use, they dont hold up well (ask me how I know). I personally like Glacier Steel V-Bar Tire chains with Cam Adjusters. they are quick and easy to deploy, the v-bar design digs deep into ice while self cleans the snow away from the tread to get a better bite. I have the philosophy of having and not needing outways needing and not having. I have used these chains not only to get out of snow situations, but also to help aid in mud and sand conditions as well.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Ideally having 2 sets of chains is the best. If you only have 1 set chain the front up so you'll have steering, braking and traction. Quality chains are expensive so if you're going to buy chains buy "V" block chains, they will last 5-10 longer than cheap chains or cables.

Once you have your chains AND tighteners one a nice sunny, dry day practice putting them on and taking them off a couple of times. That's a better way to learn to put them on instead of a cold, snowy, wet, pitch black night in the middle of no-where or on the side of a busy road.

While you have them on and tightened up, drive 50-60 feet and see if they rub or hit anything, do they rub when you turn the steering wheel. If they aren't right get a set that fits before you need them and tear your vehicle up.

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
If your really going to just use them for one trip. One pair will work heck you might not even need them. If you regularly drive in snow and ice 2 pairs are better. Or just get snow rated tires.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Two would be ideal but the NPS will plow and sand the roads before you need two pairs of chains. In reality, you just have to show them that you have a pair of chains to get through the gates, but you won't need them. Depending on who is at the gate, they can (and have) turned 4x4's around when they weren't carrying chains.

Reactions: CTO1Mike