Last Name
O'Kelley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPY415 (GMRS)
Service Branch
Army
Ok,

So this might seem a little long winded. But here we go.

I got some wider wheels with a bigger offset to push the tires out for my Gen 5 4Runner. (In order to fix a rubbing issue with my after market upper control arms) and now my tires rub when turning hard over on the back of the wheel well.

So far I've heard of two basic "fixes" so far. One being to add a leveling block to the suspension. And the other being to hammer down the bottom corner of the wheel well to provide that extra room for the tire.

My primary concern with either of these "fixes" is that I might still run into issues on the trail when the suspension is in full flex and attempting to articulate the tires at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a better way to fix the issue?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

You should check for rubbing throughout the wheel travel (up and down) while turning the steering wheel as well. You can try covering the inside of the tire well with something like blue painters tape and drive to see where the rub marks are. How much clearance do you need to make? You can trim it with a saw, bash it with a hammer or just let it be if it's not too bad. If your tires are low on tread, you'll need to make more room to accommodate a new tire.

The old skool method is to roll the fender with a baseball bat as the tire rotates. Instant fender flares!

Reactions: NomadOverland

NomadOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Bellingham, Washington, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
O'Kelley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPY415 (GMRS)
Service Branch
Army
As far as I can tell the main rubbing is at the bottom rear corner of the wheel well and only when the wheels are hard over making a tight turn and more often in revers than moving forward. (I may need to post some pictures). But hammering the well may just be the answer.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

What control arms are you running and what is your caster set at? You will have better results with a utility knife then a hammer. There is a lot of plastic in the wheel well before you get to steel.

NomadOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Sean
Last Name
O'Kelley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPY415 (GMRS)
Service Branch
Army
I'm running JBA control arms, I'm not sure of the specific caster setting by the shop said that the alignment could not be more perfect in all accounts to include caster (wondering if there might be some wiggle room in the caster) and as far as I know it's rubbing on the metal floorboard corner of the well, I don't think there's any plastic splash guard there.

NomadOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Sean
Last Name
O'Kelley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPY415 (GMRS)
Service Branch
Army
Hopefully these pictures better illustrate the rubbing issue that I'm having and my concern for when the suspension is fully flexed. It doesn't seem like I need a ton of space.IMG_8457.JPG IMG_8456.JPG IMG_8458.JPG

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

That's your cab mount. You won't be fixing that with a hammer. It need to be trimmed back and have a plate welded back in. Pretty common for 285's and up.

NomadOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Sean
Last Name
O'Kelley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPY415 (GMRS)
Service Branch
Army
Awesome! That is exactly the information that I have been needing. How about when you put the tire on a rock and it retracts into the wheel well? Any issues of it fitting?

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Once you do the cab mount chop you may hit the well liners. If you can have the caster checked and set to at least 3 degrees or more.