Traveler III

Portland, OR
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Keene
Member #

Hi all, new here.

We're looking to replace the tires on my new-to-us Xterra.

Here are the details:
  • 2006 Nissan Xterra 4WD MT
  • Planning on slight improvement in struts/shocks and maybe strengthened rear springs (for the weight, not for the lift)
  • No lift planned
  • Want to go from 265 70 16 to 265 75 16
  • Not a commuter car
  • Less than 50% off-road.
  • Not trying to challenge the vehicle to do anything a Jeep can do. :D
  • I want the vehicle to do well off-road, decent on-road and great in the snow.
  • It currently weighs about 4760 (2500 F - 2260 R). I expect that to increase permanently (mounted gear) about 300 pounds. With cargo and humans, roughly 5700 pounds finally.
  • I do/will air down from time to time.
Right now, I'm leaning toward Toyo Open Country A/T III (I'm open, though). Here are the questions:
  1. Should I go LT (123R/E1) or P (116T/SL)?
    1. OPEN COUNTRY A/T III - LT265 /75 R16 123R E1 BSW
    2. OPEN COUNTRY A/T III - 265 /75 R16 116T SL BSW
  2. With either tire, are there issues reasonably airing down (e.g., 35psi to 18-25 psi)? I would do the chalk test to decide where to start - but today, it's 35 psi.
  3. What would your concerns about the LT version be (if any)?
  4. What would your concerns about the non-LT version be (if any)?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Reactions: KAIONE and Shahn

Krieg

Rank III

Traveler III

Portland, OR
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Keene
Member #

And, Forum Admins, new here, so if I posted in the wrong forum let me know. Thanks!

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I ran Toyos prior my current tire (BFG KO2). I ran the lighter tire but I'd probably go with the E-rated simply for the reinforced sidewall. One, because you will be running a little overweight, and two because I'd imagine you'd want a better sidewall for protection, and because you'll be airing down. I typically run at 18 PSI when I do so. The E-rated will have a little stiffer ride. I didn't really run the Toyos through anything tough offroad as I was in the middle of upgrading everything. They were good for the time I had them on.

For reference, I'm running fully armored at 6300 pounds fully loaded (on trips) and upgraded suspension for lift and weight. It's retired from Daily Driver as well. For me, I went with the KO2 (although I went 285) because they were the best rated AT Tire that was also snow rated. It has worked flawlessly in the NE snows. They are a little louder than the Toyos but they have worked very well offroad. I may back down to 265 on my next set, although I love the look.

Krieg

Rank III

Traveler III

Portland, OR
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Keene
Member #

I ran Toyos prior my current tire (BFG KO2). I ran the lighter tire but I'd probably go with the E-rated simply for the reinforced sidewall. One, because you will be running a little overweight, and two because I'd imagine you'd want a better sidewall for protection, and because you'll be airing down. I typically run at 18 PSI when I do so. The E-rated will have a little stiffer ride. I didn't really run the Toyos through anything tough offroad as I was in the middle of upgrading everything. They were good for the time I had them on.

For reference, I'm running fully armored at 6300 pounds fully loaded (on trips) and upgraded suspension for lift and weight. It's retired from Daily Driver as well. For me, I went with the KO2 (although I went 285) because they were the best rated AT Tire that was also snow rated. It has worked flawlessly in the NE snows. They are a little louder than the Toyos but they have worked very well offroad. I may back down to 265 on my next set, although I love the look.
Thanks Kilo Sierra! I've been wondering how the tires will feel aired down with E rating and under 5700 pounds. Given stock wheels, I have to be careful to go too low of a PSI, but hopefully can go low enough for how we'll want to use it (which is not crazy rocks, etc). Right now i can't see going fully armored.
Thanks again!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If you're not carrying heavy loads, or doing sharp, Rocky trails on a regular basis (where risk of sidewall punctures increase), an E rated tire is likely overkill, IMHO.

I have a set of Toyo At2s on my 03 xterra. They've been fantastic. They are at the end of their life though.

I will be replacing them with Toyo AT3s before the spring.

I've heard nothing but good things about the AT3s. Ive also heard good things about the Falken and pirelli scorpion all terrain plus.

Also, you shouldn't have any issues going from 265/70r16 to 265/75r16. They should fit without any modification.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

On my xterra and most every vehicle I own I have no problem going down to 10psi in snow , trails 12-15 , faster driving 18 . Running a e rated tire on a lighter rig you will feel a difference in ride quality and will probably have to run lower psi to get the tire to run true . I only ran 28 on the road but also had 35s .