Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
So I'm starting to get my small build list together and one of the most important things to me is a tire inflator/deflator. I know I'm going to get the ARB air compressor kit but I need a deflator/inflators. Can this product(picture) by ARB be used for inflating AND deflating?

Attachments

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

It looks like there is a button on the side you could use to release air but it would be a pretty slow process I would imagine. I have this for deflating and it is amazing. Screenshot_20170920-110619.png

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I have the Currie version of that one, was cheaper at the time, and love it. You just have to make sure you get the tire valve all the way off/unscrewed or else it will not work that great.

Woodchuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Goldsby, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Cohn
Member #

I use Staun tire deflators.
They come in a 4-pack,They're easy to adjust,and allows you to deflate all 4 tires at once
I used these as well and they are fantastic and super easy once you get them dialed in properly. One note though, when I first got started, I bought some cheap knock off (I'll refrain from naming the brand for now) ones and they were absolute crap. Either didn't let out the right amount of air, or kept going till the pressure was at zero.

Woodchuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Goldsby, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Cohn
Member #

I like the idea of the Staun but have never tried them. But do like that you do all 4 tires at the same time. I will look into them more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
I used to run some trails in Colorado. We would meet up in a parking lot about 10 minutes from the trailhead. I'd screw all four on the valve stems, hop in the Jeep and head for the trail. At the trailhead I'd stop and remove the stauns and I was ready to roll.

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I've tried several kinds. The kind you screw on individually for all 4 tires work pretty well but they can get knocked off your setting somewhat easily (in my experience) and most of them are somewhat of a pain to initially set up. They aren't consistently accurate either. The best system I have found is the ARB. They air down fast and accurate and are quick to put on after you do it a time or two. I found that I could do all 4 tires with the ARB in about the same or less time than others using the individual deflators (you still have to go to all for tires and put them on and then wait for them to do their thing).

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I use a valve stem extender and remove the valve from it for airing down. As the tire airs down a pressure gauge still works on the stem. When you hit the right pressure just screw it off.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I'll cast another vote for the ARB deflator. You'll find cheaper units but these are the best I've used. I'll bet I've cycled my Jeeps tires with the Arb deflator a good 30 times with no signs of wear.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I put an arb compressor under the hood, and the compressor came with a hose and quick disconnect end that clams on the valve stem. After using my tire deflaters on several trips, I now just use the quick disconnect end yhat I got with the arb. You can check the air pressure with a standard stick gauge on the end of the quick disconnect fitting and pull the end off the valve stem when you get to the desired pressure. My son and I both bailed on the deflaters, as the quick disconnect end is faster and more accurate, even doing one tire at a time.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have both the Staun and the ARB deflator. The Stauns are nice because you can put them on let them do the work but the downside is they are set to just one pressure... and that pressure is not always accurate. Some folks adjust one pair to one pressure and the other pair to another pressure.

I use the ARB deflator more but you have to tend to it... while the air bleed screams in your ear. I'm not completely happy with either devices.

I am going to give the Power Tank Monster Valves a try. Expensive and my tire size (35") might not warrant it. But I want to speed up the process.

Last edited: