Tire deflators.

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Got a set of Boulder Tools tire deflators. Followed their instructions to set the deflators to about 16PSI. Do these look right to you guys? Two of them I had to back way the heck out before I started hearing air, the other two not much at all.

I haven't tested all 4 to see if they actually deflate to 16 because I was running out of daylight, but it just seems "off".

Reactions: Boort

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

Those look like the Stauns or Smittybilts that are available.
My Stauns are all about the same number of turns to get the same pressure setting.
Could be something wrong with the internal springs.
Pull the tops off, and check the springs to see if they look the same.
They could have put the wrong springs in two of those.

Todd

Reactions: ScorpioVI

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Got a set of Boulder Tools tire deflators. Followed their instructions to set the deflators to about 16PSI. Do these look right to you guys? Two of them I had to back way the heck out before I started hearing air, the other two not much at all.

I haven't tested all 4 to see if they actually deflate to 16 because I was running out of daylight, but it just seems "off".

I got a set of these from Boulder Tools after getting their HD Tire Deflator (rapid deflator) and liking it. They were running a sale, so I went for these too to test and compare. In followup correspondence with them, they mentioned they're not as precise as the rapid deflator, but more convenient since you can screw them on and walk away while they deflate.

All four of mine act the same, too, at least so far.

Write to Mike at customerservice@bouldertools.com - he may have more details on why the difference.

Road

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I have had a set of Boulders for the last 6 months. So far I like them. They aren't overly fast and make a lot of noise. You have to be careful not to accidentally unscrew the lock nut. However, the aren't as pricey as Stauns and seem pretty reliable, are easy to calibrate, and as mentioned you screw them on and walk away.

Bob K

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

long beach , california
Member #

i use the JT Brooks Pro deflators you can adjust them on the fly they have tire pressure marks on the adjuster so they are easy to set

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have had a set of Boulders for the last 6 months. So far I like them. They aren't overly fast and make a lot of noise. You have to be careful not to accidentally unscrew the lock nut. However, the aren't as pricey as Stauns and seem pretty reliable, are easy to calibrate, and as mentioned you screw them on and walk away.
If you put a dab of your wife's fingernail polish on the threads - once you set them to your liking it will help keep them set without loosening. If you want to change the setting later on just use her fingernail polish remover.

roninrunner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chesapeake, VA
Member #

I have the same set. All four look more or less identical now that they're set (about halfway for 20psi, which is all I need to run the beach). Double check that the center relief stem isn't clogged, I had some sand in mine on my last trip which threw everything off.