Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hola from 450 miles south of the U.S. Border in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Overland-Mexico-Jeepsies-Overland-Bound-Basecamp.png

Wanted to be a resource for anyone considering overlanding down here. I'll try and remember to get back here and add some more photos later.

For what it is worth, it is me, my wife, and our 2 year old son. If you want to see our Overlanding Setup you can check out this article I wrote.

Overland-Mexico-Jeepsies-Back-EL-Salto.jpg
Jeepsies-in-El-Salto-Mexico.png

Also here is how we prepared for the crossing which in hindsight may have been a little overkill, you can read about that here if you are interested.

Border crossing:
We crossed in at the Columbia crossing (near Laredo, Texas) took us about 45 minutes. Super easy. They asked for our passports, visas, registration, and drivers license. We paid for the TIP pass $460 for six months. $400 for the TIP (which is refundable when you leave the country) and $60 for the decal which we didn't know about but no big deal. (Also they didn't ask for it, but you are required to have Mexican Insurance at a minimum) We have extra coverage that covers everything no matter what. We also paid for three visas which were around $30 each.

Border checkpoint:
After leaving the documentation area, we drove through a little security area to the inspection area. I got out of the Jeep and the lady asked me where I was coming from, where I was headed to and what was on the top of my Jeep. I told her, that we came from Texas we're heading to Monterrey and that it was a tent. She said, "Adelante" (which means move ahead) and we were on our way.

First Federale checkpoint:
Two guys in uniforms smoking cigarettes sitting down at the checkpoint. Same questions. Where are you coming from? Where are you heading? I responded, coming from Texas, heading to Monterrey. One of the guys then says, "Nice Jeep!" and gives me a thumbs up and waves me through.

No further checkpoints or issues all the way to Monterrey.

First night overlanding:
We arrived at our campsite by 3pm in a canyon near EL SALTO deep in the mountains of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. This is an area known for rock climbing, ATV roads, and offroading. We make it a point to be at our campsites by 3pm. It is never a good idea to drive here at night.

Heading to San Luis Potosi:
We left the campsite around 7:30 AM and headed 7775 feet up the mountain pass to get out of the canyon. About an hour and a half later we were on a toll road that would take us all the way into the city of San Luis Potosi where we are now.

You can read about our border crossing, and travel to the interior as well as see photos of our first night overlanding in Mexico here if you like.

General tips:
1. DRIVING: Never drive at night in Mexico. It's not the cartels you have to worry about as much as the speed bumps, potholes, and random animals that are practically everywhere.

2. FUEL: Fill up when you are at a half tank of fuel. Also fuel is stupid expensive here. About twice what you'd pay in the States. The offset is that EVERYTHING else is crazy cheap here. Also there is currently a fuel shortage in Central Mexico. So bring your extra fuel tanks. we have a Titan Fuel Tank Trail Trekker II which holds 12.5 gallons of fuel. We keep it full in case we cannot find fuel and start looking for fuel as soon as we get to just over a half tank. Yes this kind of sucks with a Jeep, but better safe than sorry.

3. TIPPING:
Tip well. The average daily wage here in Mexico is about 75 pesos. Which is $3.91 per day. Crazy right? So the locals appreciate a tip tremendously of 20-50 pesos. Which is $1 and $2.60 respectively. If you tip someone 50 pesos to watch over your vehicle while you park to to go eat, they'll watch it like a hawk.

4. COMMS:
AT&T and VERIZON work pretty well down here near the cities and even in some of the rural areas. In some places better than the states even. We simply called our carriers and asked them to make sure we had Mexico coverage. AT&T added it at no cost. We use our same plan that we have in the states. Verizon's fee was nominal for our hotspot use. About $5 a day but we haven't needed it yet. AT&T has been good.

Garmin-Inreach-Explorer-Plus.png

More importantly when overlanding make sure you have some sort of SATCOM. We carry the Garmin InReach Explorer + which allows us to communicate from anywhere as long as we have a clear view of the sky.

5. SAFETY:
Everyone is worried about the "Three C's" 1. Crooked Cops, Corruption, and Cartels. Let me debunk this a little. COPS: Every cop we've met, both Federal and Local has been super kind and gone out of their way to help us or be nice. We haven't had any issues (knock on wood) as of yet.
CORRUPTION: Same thing. No issues at all regarding "mordida" aka bribes or anything of the sort. Not even a hint.
CARTELS: I think they're busy. We've seen no trace of them and they probably have better things to do than look for us.

Having said all that, again we don't drive at night, we use common sense, we stay vigilant, and park in areas where they have active attendants and tip them well. We also have a viper alarm system, and the newest Gorilla Wheel locks on the Jeep which deter theft of the tires.

Other stuff:

We did a Facebook Live yesterday where we answered 20 questions that our followers asked. If you want to check that out you can find it on our FB page here: Jeepsies Facebook

We are posting about our trip daily on Instagram too if you prefer that platform. Find us on Instagram here.

Future Plans in Mexico

We are connecting with a Jeep group here in San Luis Potosi on Friday called Nahuales 4x4. Looking forward to that.

We'll be overlanding in the mountains somewhere with other Overland Bound members the 18-20th

We'll be in Puebla City, Mexico the 22nd through the 8th of February and then we start our return trip.

QUESTIONS:

If you have any questions at all, like I said, we hope to be a resource for anyone considering. So go ahead and ask away. We'll do our best to answer them for you.

Until then, keep it dirty and wheels side down.

Eric aka Jeepsies #OB14045

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Thank you for all the concise information.
If I’m every able to convince my better half, we’re gone!
Stay safe out there.
You should have your other half watch our Facebook Live video. We had a bunch of folks tell us that after watching it, they are considering a trip now where before they weren’t as ready. Let us know if we can answer any questions!

Reactions: Doc Rey

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

You should have your other half watch our Facebook Live video. We had a bunch of folks tell us that after watching it, they are considering a trip now where before they weren’t as ready. Let us know if we can answer any questions!
I’m still in the process of trying to get her to go see the whales in Baja. Unfortunately she’s had a few sips of the Cartel Kool-Aid!
Lil history, we actually had a beach casita there with never a problem in over a decade.
Maybe she’s just jaded.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I’m still in the process of trying to get her to go see the whales in Baja. Unfortunately she’s had a few sips of the Cartel Kool-Aid!
Lil history, we actually had a beach casita there with never a problem in over a decade.
Maybe she’s just jaded.
Did y'all have issues with anything cartel related in your decade of owning a beach casita there?

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We never had an issue...ever. Mostly just hearing the occasional war story other people's (or their relatives) experiences. Sad to leave, for me anyway.
I think the media just really sensationalizes every negative thing that happens. We never hear about the majority of folks who are enjoying themselves down here without any major issues of course. There's no news there. Sad you had to leave too. I coulda stayed at your place haha!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Surprise topes in the darkness are absolutely no joke!
Great info, and hopefully it convinces more Americans to visit with comfort. I will say that we have had the same situation on all of our trips. Police haven't hassled us, Federales are nice, at the checkpoints they always seem to get a kick out of checking out our expedition trailer.

I will add a recommendation to get a dash cam.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Surprise topes in the darkness are absolutely no joke!
Great info, and hopefully it convinces more Americans to visit with comfort. I will say that we have had the same situation on all of our trips. Police haven't hassled us, Federales are nice, at the checkpoints they always seem to get a kick out of checking out our expedition trailer.

I will add a recommendation to get a dash cam.
Thanks for reminding me. I actually do have the Garmin 55 DashCam. I need to update my overland build article. Good call Brien.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Yesterday we met up with a local off road club called Nahuales Off Road 4x4 and they took us out to a small village called Purisima. There we were able to donate some blankets, toys, and food. Also we went and saw a pretty epic crater.

My wife wrote a pretty heartfelt article with a few photos if anyone is interested. You can read it here.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

WeOverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
G
Member #

Great Thanks for such good info. We are planning to cross into Mexico by way of Tecate or Mexicali. We are continuing our adventure through Mexico and possibly beyond. But for right now we are getting our ducks in a row, yes on the Satcom as well as insurance, as far as the visas where do you pick them up? Looking for a fellow overlander to hook up with as we cross. Our plan was to cross into Baja for some great adventure then take the ferry and cross from La Paz to the mainland make our way to Lake Chapala and over to Merida while taking our time. I will click on your links with my other half to experience your adventures. If anyone reading this is planning to go around February please feel free to connect with us, check us out at WeOverlander blogspot com

Cheers and Safe Travels to aFB_IMG_1527044968220.jpg ll!!

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Great Thanks for such good info. We are planning to cross into Mexico by way of Tecate or Mexicali. We are continuing our adventure through Mexico and possibly beyond. But for right now we are getting our ducks in a row, yes on the Satcom as well as insurance, as far as the visas where do you pick them up? Looking for a fellow overlander to hook up with as we cross. Our plan was to cross into Baja for some great adventure then take the ferry and cross from La Paz to the mainland make our way to Lake Chapala and over to Merida while taking our time. I will click on your links with my other half to experience your adventures. If anyone reading this is planning to go around February please feel free to connect with us, check us out at WeOverlander blogspot com

Cheers and Safe Travels to aView attachment 82122 ll!!
You will get your Visas at the immigration office at the border. You have to fill out the same form you’d use on a plane. Submit it with your passport and they’ll provide you the visa.