louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
nope. been to argentina and it was beautiful (so were the women!) but didn't drive there
i recently watched a youtube channel called trent and allie and they drove from the US down to argentina and had quite a few episodes showing what they went thru, how to get permits and all that going thru the different south american countries. it might be worth checking out to get some decent info...they are a little silly, but really have some solid info concerning driving thru south america. youll probably do a lot of fast forwarding and skipping...

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

You can't drive all the way to Ushuaia Argentina ... You have to ship your vehicle around the Darian Gap. This requires planning on your trip going down. Most go down to the end on the road in Panama, and then double-back to to the Canal. Look for the Expedition Overland videos. Clay does a great job explaining the issues. You might consider reaching out to Scott Brady at Overland Journal as well. Immediately I can't remember the Ladies who did this in their UZJ 80 series LandCruiser. [ I'll look for my photo's of the Northwest Overland Rally] and will update this.
DcG

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Not in a single trip, however we've driven in Mexico off and on many times, as well as Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panamá, and have also driven many Km in Venezuela, Argentina, and Brazil. In addition some years ago we did a trip around South America from Bogotá to Tierra del Fuego and back - south on the Pacific Coast and Andes, north on the Atlantic Coast and inland. SACER tripline map dark background w logo.png
So the answer to your initial question is "not exactly, however if you have more questions I suspect that we can offer some answers".

Are you looking for suggestions on where to plan to go? Visas? TIPs or carnet? Medical concerns? Happy to help if you give us a bit more insight.

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

nope. been to argentina and it was beautiful (so were the women!) but didn't drive there
i recently watched a youtube channel called trent and allie and they drove from the US down to argentina and had quite a few episodes showing what they went thru, how to get permits and all that going thru the different south american countries. it might be worth checking out to get some decent info...they are a little silly, but really have some solid info concerning driving thru south america. youll probably do a lot of fast forwarding and skipping...

Awesome. Thank you!

Reactions: grubworm

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

You can't drive all the way to Ushuaia Argentina ... You have to ship your vehicle around the Darian Gap. This requires planning on your trip going down. Most go down to the end on the road in Panama, and then double-back to to the Canal. Look for the Expedition Overland videos. Clay does a great job explaining the issues. You might consider reaching out to Scott Brady at Overland Journal as well. Immediately I can't remember the Ladies who did this in their UZJ 80 series LandCruiser. [ I'll look for my photo's of the Northwest Overland Rally] and will update this.
DcG
Thank you

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Not in a single trip, however we've driven in Mexico off and on many times, as well as Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panamá, and have also driven many Km in Venezuela, Argentina, and Brazil. In addition some years ago we did a trip around South America from Bogotá to Tierra del Fuego and back - south on the Pacific Coast and Andes, north on the Atlantic Coast and inland. View attachment 200117
So the answer to your initial question is "not exactly, however if you have more questions I suspect that we can offer some answers".

Are you looking for suggestions on where to plan to go? Visas? TIPs or carnet? Medical concerns? Happy to help if you give us a bit more insight.
I don’t know what I don’t know. This is helpful. I’ll work on it and ask more questions as I get to planning it.

Reactions: Road

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I don’t know what I don’t know. This is helpful. I’ll work on it and ask more questions as I get to planning it.
OK - here's the blog for this trip - Sur América contra el reloj

It may give you some ideas and raise some questions.

325 nights / 326 days
48,911 Km driven in our car, using 5781 L of gasoline
600 Km (approx) driven in a hire car (Brasilia to Goiáa and back)
Lots of ferries (didn’t count them)
1500 Km by river boat (Amazon from Belém to Manaus)
Train journeys from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes and back to Ollantaytambo
17 border crossings
196 blog posts (and counting…)
56,488 photos

tetonshaggy

Rank IV

Traveler III

Mapleton, UT, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Berry
Member #

OK - here's the blog for this trip - Sur América contra el reloj

It may give you some ideas and raise some questions.

325 nights / 326 days
48,911 Km driven in our car, using 5781 L of gasoline
600 Km (approx) driven in a hire car (Brasilia to Goiáa and back)
Lots of ferries (didn’t count them)
1500 Km by river boat (Amazon from Belém to Manaus)
Train journeys from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes and back to Ollantaytambo
17 border crossings
196 blog posts (and counting…)
56,488 photos
That’s dope! Thank you

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I know a few folks that have done the trip:
Guy on a bike, took 2 years.
Couple in a 4 Runner 3 years then went to Alaska another 3 years.
Couple 1 year total got married after the trip.
I am planing to do it over 5 years playing along the way.
Look up Drive Nacho Drive. There are a bunch of blogs out there.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Not in a single trip, however we've driven in Mexico off and on many times, as well as Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panamá, and have also driven many Km in Venezuela, Argentina, and Brazil. In addition some years ago we did a trip around South America from Bogotá to Tierra del Fuego and back - south on the Pacific Coast and Andes, north on the Atlantic Coast and inland. View attachment 200117

Wowww it's truly an overland trip! Amazing journey! Congrats

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Does anyone have experience driving from Tijuana (or similar) to Ushuaia Argentina?
You can see a little about my trips in South America in this thread: South America - routes and locations
I can say it's easier than it sounds. But I strongly recommend that you find some routes off the Pan American highway. It will be the best part of your trip, I bet!.
I am available if you want some tips about Brazil, Argentine, Chile, Bolivia, and Peru - the most visited countries on my trips. Also, you can find two realistic YouTube Channels about south America in English (dirtysunrise and theroadchoseme).

Reactions: Alanymarce