Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Howdy,

Not sure this is the best thread for this - as it's not quite a build question - more maintenance and repair. My otherwise trusty 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 40K in mileage is trapped on the lift at the local dealership due to a right tie-rod joint failure. The connecting tube has it's own story of malfunctioning and they are replacing both joints and the connecting tube.

My question and curiosity is, whether or not this is normal wear and tear to have them give out on an otherwise young rig. Yes, I actually put the rig Jeep through it's paces, but the techs do not believe this should have occurred. They've never seen one fail (till today) on the 2017 model.

I'm financially committed to them doing a standard repair on my otherwise stock rig, but would love more information from the OB community. Food-for-though to consider in the future, etc.

I'm aiming for an eventual AEV 3.5 lift kit with BFG 35s (AT) in 2019, with intentions to grow as an off-road driver. The work I'm doing requires a dependable rig that can navigate challenging landscapes as a solo traveler who is off-the-grid for long periods of time. I need to plan/build the most dependable/capable off-road /overland vehicle I can - your thoughts and feedback mean a great deal!

Thank you!
Jennifer + Monty
www.photosthatunite.com

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
That is unusual to see at 40k unless you have been really hard on the rig, like high speed rough terrain. I would ask at a Jeep forum. It is possible you did have a defective part from the factory. If you had a lift I could see having increase wear and tear and steering components.

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

That is unusual to see at 40k unless you have been really hard on the rig, like high speed rough terrain. I would ask at a Jeep forum. It is possible you did have a defective part from the factory. If you had a lift I could see having increase wear and tear and steering components.
I do off-road but I'm at low speed and when the terrain is rough - seeing the Jeep is also my full-time home, can sincerely say I keep things in check. No modifications and running 100% on stock and surprised that with the Rubicon such an important part of the steering of a vehicle designed for off-road/rough terrain would fail. Trying to see if there is anyone else out there and you are right, I should dig into the Jeep forums (This community just feels like home!) Thank you @madecratebuilder for chiming in! - Jenn

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Jeeps with the parallel link suspension are not easy on the steering system and they have always been prone to bending the tie rod itself.

There are steering upgrades out there that use upgraded TREs that will hold up better and an aluminum tie rod that will bend back after its been hit. A good friend on mine uses one of these setups on his JKU and has had great luck after replacing the factory tie rod twice before with OE style parts.

This is the system my friend uses.

http://rpmfab.com/Jk-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Tie-Rod_p_30.html

They offer a drag link system as well.

You can probably find a more affordable setup if you do some research.

Good luck!