Those with kids and ground tents, do you also pack a screen area?

• HTML tutorial

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

Those of you with younger kids do you also pack and put up a separate screen room or have a screen room attached to a tent for them to play in if necessary? I’ve camped my whole life and never had a screen room when I was a kid but I do see it’s benefit. So, who has one and what are your thoughts?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yup we have a T4 Gazelle tent for sleeping and depending on the duration / location / type of trip we will also take our pop up gazebo that has a screen. The screen gives us a safe place to eat and relax especially if there are bees (I'm allergic). This way our sleeping area won't be tracked with dust and dirt.

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

How young? We've had 3-11 year olds in recent years with the family/friends trips. We just douse them in Deep Woods Off and let 'em do whatever it is they're going to do. We also use the Thermacel insect repellents when they're sitting around and that seems to help. We're in Florida so mosquito heaven at times, but they manage ok. I figure they're trapped indoors most of the time (Especially with Covid Lockdowns now) so they can deal with it while camping.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

We use ground tents but no screen tents. Hasn’t been a problem for us, but it probably helps that my kids are usually covered in about 1/8” dirt layer.