Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I've gone through most of the trailer threads here and on some on forums, but have a few questions and could use some insight. I currently have an AT Habitat, which was great when we lived out west and could camp four seasons, but now that I'm back east, need something more winter capable. I also miss having a truck as a truck, the habitat is not easy to take on and off. I've never towed anything for more than a few hundred miles - moving, ATV, or motorcycle. So my questions are:

1) Has anyone with limited tow experience discovered that they hated towing and regretted buying a trailers - they are not cheap? There was a thread with video on Expedition Portal about not using trailers for long expeditions.

2) I really like the Off-Grid Expedition 2.0 - saw it at Northwest Overland Rally 2019. It is a big commitment, around $30k, and on the large and heavy end of the spectrum. Have other's started smaller and worked their way up as you got more comfortable - kind of the "bigger boat syndrome" - I want to avoid constantly buying and selling.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I guess my question would be, where you planning on going and what do you consider a long expedition?
I have 2 trailers, have tent camped, slept in the bed of a pickup and slept in the back of my cruiser. All of these for multiple days.
My M-100 has an RTT and I have spent 2 weeks traveling and camping. This trailer completely loaded weighs 1300 pounds. I have towed it down the Rubicon and Dusy trails behind my TJ. The Dusy took a bit of finesse but was doable.
My other trailer is a hard sided. This one weighs 2000 pounds. I took it out to death valley for a week last month. It got down to mid 20's and the wind howled for 3 days. At that point I was glad I wasn't in my RTT. The route I took would be considered moderately hard by some.
Thanksgiving, I was on the Mojave Road for four days. I slept in my cruiser and wished I would have brought my hard side trailer.
I would not pull anything heavier than what I have now and have used trailers for several decades off-road. The only reason I use them is because I got away from pick up's. None of my Jeeps had any real room and I started bringing an M-100 just for the extra cargo space.

Trailers are not for everyone and I would recommend renting one for several outings first. Several because the first one is always new and fun. The next one, the newness has worn off. Also, do you have a place to store it and how often will you actually use it? Twice a year is hard to justify a 15k-18k price tag if most of your trips are day trips.

If you plan on buying, there are only a few manufactures who actually build an off-road trailer. Just putting a lift on a trailer doesn't mean its going to hold up to the abuse of dirt roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berkshires

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I've gone through most of the trailer threads here and on some on forums, but have a few questions and could use some insight. I currently have an AT Habitat, which was great when we lived out west and could camp four seasons, but now that I'm back east, need something more winter capable. I also miss having a truck as a truck, the habitat is not easy to take on and off. I've never towed anything for more than a few hundred miles - moving, ATV, or motorcycle. So my questions are:

1) Has anyone with limited tow experience discovered that they hated towing and regretted buying a trailers - they are not cheap? There was a thread with video on Expedition Portal about not using trailers for long expeditions.

2) I really like the Off-Grid Expedition 2.0 - saw it at Northwest Overland Rally 2019. It is a big commitment, around $30k, and on the large and heavy end of the spectrum. Have other's started smaller and worked their way up as you got more comfortable - kind of the "bigger boat syndrome" - I want to avoid constantly buying and selling.
I really like the HQ Black Series Classic Double and Dominator models, Dominator - Pop Up Campers - Black Series. I had scene a HQ black series with a Stove Jack added and a Kni Co Packer wood stove. I was looking into the Opus 4 trailers, but the black series runs about 10k less - you can find the two models above at 17 to 22k.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

All excellent points smritte - thanks for the detailed response. The plan, since leaving CA is to travel for a bout 6 weeks every winter to the west - Anza, Joshua, NM, AZ, then up the coast to Northern CA and OR. Also spring and summer use on the east coast for 1 week trips - Nova Scotia, NC Outer Banks, etc. Covid travel restrictions has shut down all of our plans, so it gives me time to research.

Renting is a great idea, harder to find in New England, though I found someone in NC with a Overland Boreas XT. I will try to find someone closer to rent from this spring.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
As others have mentioned go rent a few different types. It takes practice to get comfortable towing a trailer but it is not difficult by any means. Practice backing up in a larger empty parking lot for example. I have owned 5 different trailers in the past 7 years. All with pros and cons. Currently on an 2019 Expedition. I prefer sleeping with solid walls now.

Plenty of rentals on outdoorsy and other rental sites.