First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
First time poster, long time lurker.

I drive a 00 Jeep Wrangler with soft top and recently had my FTM-100DR stolen. I had the unit mounted in the coin tray on the dash with the industrial strength Velcro. It was the only thing of value that could have been stolen and they finally did. To get on with it...

While the FTM-400's were on their extreme discount I ordered one to replace the radio I had stolen. The major issue is that the base unit can't be mounted to the screen anymore (not that I would go that route again, too easy to steal).

Now to the burning question: Where the heck do I mount the base unit in my jeep so that I can still hear it and I won't need a mic extension? I can get a mic extension and remote speaker if need be.

I tried to remote mount the FTM-100's base unit originally but couldn't find a good spot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I won't have the radio until the end of January so there is some time to figure it out.

Thanks

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
Is it possible to mount it under the passenger seat ? I have my TYT 9800 mounted there and the control head on a mount stuck to the windshield above the try on the dash. I got a little speaker and it's on the kick panel on the passenger side. Maybe?

Dtyo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Delray Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Tyo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSO
Is it possible to mount it under the passenger seat ? I have my TYT 9800 mounted there and the control head on a mount stuck to the windshield above the try on the dash. I got a little speaker and it's on the kick panel on the passenger side. Maybe?
Mounted my D710G under the passenger seat with a MIC extension and external speaker. IMO, it’s the only real option. FWIW, I mounted it under the passenger seat since I intend to mount a storage box under the drier seat, eventually.

Dan

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Yep the radio under the passenger seat easy routing the control head cable to the dash and use a remote speaker. I use the pro clip dash mount on my 11 JKU and put the speaker between the driver and passenger on the roll bar. all works great.

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
I may have to scope out the passenger seat. I have the resources to fab brackets if need be. I wasn't so thrilled with such a low mounting location originally in case of water in the passenger area. The speaker overhead might not be so easy because I have the speaker bar. I'll have to do some looking.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
Reactions: TheKGB

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
Oof, I didn't know that they made all of these. Now you are going to make me spend money. Also seeing those pictures on their website and amazon has made me realize that my speaker bar in in there backwards. As a 6' 1" man I occasionally hit my head on it. I'll have to flip it around to put that in.

I'm also eyeing the under driver seat box and the center console. The center console mainly for the extra cup holders. The under rear seat slider looks cool too but the price is a little steep on it. Only issue is that I don't have $1500 to spend on all these ( I would want them ordered together so they are keyed alike).

I am going to give the overhead storage and under driver seat storage a hard consider over the next few days.

I still have to save some money back to get a rear bumper. My factory bumper has significant rust holes coming through.

Dtyo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Delray Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Tyo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSO
I attached my remote speaker to the center cross bar. It doesn't block the rear view mirror and is easily heard, especially in a soft top.

20190103_230750367_iOS.jpg

Reactions: Graeman

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
I went ahead and placed and order for the Tuffy overhead box and if i get anymore of their products later I can just order matching locks. This seems like it will be a good fit and I will have room for a GMRS radio in the future. The nice part with this is that i won't need an mic extension or remote speaker. I will have some work to do when it all arrives.
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Graeman

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I went ahead and placed and order for the Tuffy overhead box and if i get anymore of their products later I can just order matching locks. This seems like it will be a good fit and I will have room for a GMRS radio in the future. The nice part with this is that i won't need an mic extension or remote speaker. I will have some work to do when it all arrives.
Thanks for the help.
Awesome! Post up pics once you get it installed. [emoji106]

RichardHdz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irving, Dallas County, Texas, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6POE
That overhead mount is a good idea so you can’t keep it away from any water that may get into your vehicle. That has always been my concern with the under the seat mounting. You might still want an external speaker though to direct the sound to you. I believe that radio has a stereo speaker jack and separates the audio from band A and B so if you are to utilize it, it will help determine which band you’re receiving a signal on. Don’t know that that interests you.

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
It looks like my overhead console will be delivered on Monday(14th). I should be able to stay after work and install it on Tuesday. Radio isn't expected until later next week but I can do all the prep work before hand. Based on the size of the compartment and the size of the radio itself, I will have to fab up an adapter to make it work.

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
Console is installed. I didn't take any pictures while putting it in but it is an easy install. I will shoot some pictures of it installed when I get my radio in. I will have to fab a bracket to get the radio up there. I also have to run the head remote cable to the dash and I think I'm going to try to make or find a cable to move the mic to the dash so it doesn't hang down in the middle of the cabin.

The hardest part was running wires to it and redoing my sound bar. The sound bar used to sit over my head in front of the middle roll bar but is now in the rear.

Anyone have any suggestions on adding some dome like lights to the console? Jeeps don't have dome lights on a soft top but I can run wires for door plus on/off control. I saw some on Amazon that had a switch for red or white light that seemed pretty neat but they had weird form factors.

I am also considering running a power bus up there with a positive and negative 10 AWG wire to a blue sea systems fuse box. It would make adding a second radio or other things very easy. The console is also in a good place that I could probably run a dash cam off the front so that it would hang just above my mirror.

This is pretty rambly at this point so I will try to take some pictures to help aid some of these questions.

Thanks

Reactions: Prerunner1982

TheKGB

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8EOA
I called HRO on Friday to check on the status of my order. They told me that they won't be getting their next shipment in until Feb 14th now. I guess i have lots of time to do the dedicated power line up to the overhead console. I guess it is time to spend some more money on this project.

Reactions: Prerunner1982