The OVS Nomad 270 Long Term Review - Spoiler It's Still Awesome

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Well it's been two years, and 40k miles since I purchased my first Overland Vehicle Systems Nomad 270 Awning. When I first purchased the awning the were basically no reviews or info on the awning or much on the company it's self. My goal was to find a free standing awning, without the need to deploy poles every time I wanted to eat a quick bite in the shade.

Previously I used a 6 foot CVT awning. This worked great, and it's still in the family. Now my grandfather uses it on his built F250. But I wanted something with more coverage so I started looking into 270 awnings. I had seen reviews on the Batwing, but most reviews showed that the supports were a little to weak for extended use. I also looked at other options like the Alu-Cab 270, but found them to be a little smaller than what I was looking for and a lot more money. At the time, I was able to purchase the OVS awning for $764.98. The list price was $899 but with a little digging around I was able to save 15% with a coupon code.

I installed the awning on my GoFastCamper before leaving on a two week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Little did I know that we would use the awning nearly every day. With the high elevations and cold temperatures we quickly learned that using the awning, the 3 walls, and a propane fire pit we could have a warm place to spend the evenings off the trail. Each evening we lit the propane fire, cooked dinner, and hung out with friends in the awning. We had snow, winds, and rain pelting the awning but it never caused any problems.

Later that year I sold the GoFastCamper to switch to a Super Pacific Camper. The first thing I did, was order another OVS Nomad 270. This time the price went up for $899 to $949. Once again, I found a %15 off coupon on campsaver.com and purchased the awning for $862.90, but $30 in reward points I later used.

This last year my wife and I traveled to Montana for our annual 2 week trip. Once again we used the awning every evening that the weather got chilly or the rain picked up. We used the propane firepit when possible (Montana bans propane fire firepits during bad fire seasons) and the walls, tho bulky are a great way to escape the wind. The biggest test we put the awning through this last but trip was South Dakota. We watched a storm blowing in across the plains and we quickly decided to throw the walls and awning up to have a place to relax and cook. The wind and rain battered the walls all night, but in the morning the awning was no worse for the wear.

Like most things, there are some things we like, and somethings we don't.

Pros:
The cost of the OVS is lower than most similar sized awnings
It's very sturdy, and with no wind we are able to use it without the legs.
The material doesn't seem to mildew, even when wet for days.
The zippers are large and easy to use on the walls.

Cons:
The cover can be tight. There is a trick to rolling the awning up and once you figure it out, it's not a problem
The cover isn't water tight. We often find a little water in the cover after a heavy rainfall
If you don't use the included stakes, water can pool in the middle of the awning.
I'd like more windows in the walls.

After two years, we still use this awning nearly every single month. This last weekend we had a surprise shower come through. We pulled the truck over to the fire, opened the awning, and enjoyed the evening by the fire without getting wet. If we are camped near a trail we often bring just one wall to add a little privacy to camp, and help with the winds. It's easy to heat with a propane firepit in the winter too!

IMG_7849.jpg699D5D57E6B439573F99C4308EB6CB02.JPGF5C6C54DD0A45B52E0D132A3318ABB8C.JPGDSC00294-HDR-2.jpg

JK_TrailRider

Rank I

Contributor III

Richmond, VA
Member #

I LOVE my 270 so much on my JKU, that I ended up buying the 180 for my trailer. Used it the first time at Cape Lookout, NC last weekend and it was perfect! I had to use the legs and anchor them down due to wind, but not a big deal since this was base camp. On my Jeep I have yet to use the legs, like you I wanted something that was freestanding and SOLID!!!

Loup407

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fruita, CO, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Patterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LHP
The same awning came on our Mission Overland Trailer. At first, I was nervous about setting up if it was breezy, but have gotten over that. It’s quite stout. I’d love to have more windows in the wall kit, when you zip in all three, it’s pretty cave-like.

NHMachinist

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin NH
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Minzner
Member #

Well it's been two years, and 40k miles since I purchased my first Overland Vehicle Systems Nomad 270 Awning. When I first purchased the awning the were basically no reviews or info on the awning or much on the company it's self. My goal was to find a free standing awning, without the need to deploy poles every time I wanted to eat a quick bite in the shade.

Previously I used a 6 foot CVT awning. This worked great, and it's still in the family. Now my grandfather uses it on his built F250. But I wanted something with more coverage so I started looking into 270 awnings. I had seen reviews on the Batwing, but most reviews showed that the supports were a little to weak for extended use. I also looked at other options like the Alu-Cab 270, but found them to be a little smaller than what I was looking for and a lot more money. At the time, I was able to purchase the OVS awning for $764.98. The list price was $899 but with a little digging around I was able to save 15% with a coupon code.

I installed the awning on my GoFastCamper before leaving on a two week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Little did I know that we would use the awning nearly every day. With the high elevations and cold temperatures we quickly learned that using the awning, the 3 walls, and a propane fire pit we could have a warm place to spend the evenings off the trail. Each evening we lit the propane fire, cooked dinner, and hung out with friends in the awning. We had snow, winds, and rain pelting the awning but it never caused any problems.

Later that year I sold the GoFastCamper to switch to a Super Pacific Camper. The first thing I did, was order another OVS Nomad 270. This time the price went up for $899 to $949. Once again, I found a %15 off coupon on campsaver.com and purchased the awning for $862.90, but $30 in reward points I later used.

This last year my wife and I traveled to Montana for our annual 2 week trip. Once again we used the awning every evening that the weather got chilly or the rain picked up. We used the propane firepit when possible (Montana bans propane fire firepits during bad fire seasons) and the walls, tho bulky are a great way to escape the wind. The biggest test we put the awning through this last but trip was South Dakota. We watched a storm blowing in across the plains and we quickly decided to throw the walls and awning up to have a place to relax and cook. The wind and rain battered the walls all night, but in the morning the awning was no worse for the wear.

Pros:

Cons:
The cover can be tight. There is a trick to rolling the awning up and once you figure it out, it's not a problem
The cover isn't water tight. We often find a little water in the cover after a heavy rainfall
If you don't use the included stakes, water can pool in the middle of the awning.

After two years, we still use this awning nearly every single month. This last weekend we had a surprise shower come through. We pulled the truck over to the fire, opened the awning, and enjoyed the evening by the fire without getting wet. If we are camped near a trail we often bring just one wall to add a little privacy to camp, and help with the winds. It's easy to heat with a propane firepit in the winter too!

View attachment 226400View attachment 226401View attachment 226402View attachment 226403
I just took delivery of one with the walls , just have to wait a couple more weeks for my A.R.E dcu cap to arrive. I can't wait to try it out.

Contributor I

Boone, NC, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gambrel

Pros:

Cons:

View attachment 226400View attachment 226401View attachment 226402View attachment 226403
I have the same awning. It takes me forever to get it all stuffed back in the bag. Please tell us how you do it. Could you possibly post a video?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have heard that some people have had problems with the cover's zipper after some time and it was recommended to me to lube the zipper by rubbing a candle on it. I had some beeswax in the shop so that is what I used. Great awning!

Contributor II

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Webb
I recently installed the OVS 270* awning on my overlanding trailer and I like it very much. It does seem to fully support itself w/o the additional vertical poles but the directions stated that the vertical support poles be used every time the awning is deployed. This brings me to a question. The attached swing down poles have a ball and socket joint on the tips of the aluminum trusses that allow them to be released from the Velcro straps and swung down into place. The two additional 2 support poles that are not attached to the awning have the ball socket on one end and a steel pin on the other end. I used these for the first time a few weeks ago and I wasn't entirely sure how to install / insert them. I ended up using them upside down compared to the attached poles, with the steel pin inserted in the hole on the bottom of the aluminum truss and the plastic ball on the ground. This seemed kind of weird to me but was the only way to really make it work as you couldn't connect the plastic ball into anything if you did it the opposite way. I put a beer bottle cap under the plastic ball on the ground in an attempt to prevent it getting scratched up too bad. Not sure that was necessary but hey... I just got this thing. When I woke up the next morning I found that the wind moving the awning up and down caused the both of the additional support poles to fall out of place. Admittedly I did not use the guide wires to secure it to the ground with the stakes, but I was actually at a paved campground site so that was not an option.

I'm curious, 1) if I am using these correctly? and 2) if someone has a better method / idea for utilizing the additional, non-attached support poles.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveInCO

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Quite a few of the guys in my group have this. I'm the last hold out ( I need to buy 2 with walls). The average age of the awning is over a year and heavily used.
I think you have the pole upside down. I have helped the guys set up and I think I remember the ball being up.
The areas we camp tend to be windy so, everything is guyed down. As far as I know, none of the poles have come loose.
Cold winter camping, throw a small propane fire pit inside and its great.
I cant wait for mine. It will be one one my best upgrades.