Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yes, it is permanently mounted. It's not always in the ideal position to capitalize on the sun, but I was working on whittling down the time it took me to break camp and I wanted to minimize what I had to disconnect and pack up. It has been up there for over a year now without issue.
I'm trying to figure out how to permanently mount a solar panel as an air damn like you have on my F-150 Supercrew. My problem is the roof of the F-150 doesn't have any cross bars, trying to decide what would be the best option for cross bars that are low profile, maybe even put a low profile basket up there. I guess I'll go look through the full size vehicle thread and see if I can get some good ideas.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Anyone have an issue with the 12V plug falling out of the socket? I took my Dometic CFX3 55IM off-roading today and twice when I went back to grab something noticed that the fridge was off. Turned out that the plug backed out enough to lose power and I had to push back in. The trail had some washboards and was bumpy, but I've had other 12Vs plugged in before with no issue.Comparing the 12V plug to other ones, it does seem skinnier. I'm going to do another test run next weekend to see if it happens again.
Because of where I placed my refrigerator, I opted to install an aftermarket 12v plug nearby. I used Amazon.com: Sea Dog 426053-1 12V Power Socket with Plate: Automotive and it has been a snug fit from which nothing has come loose. I have one in the grille as well for charging random stuff in camp or plugging in my compressor to air up.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Dometic is recalling all CFX3 fridges... FYI

Keywords "Dometic has not yet identified a proposed remedy plan."

They have stopped selling them but have not proposed a solution yet.
So on Expedition Portal, the official Dometic account posted the recall letter and their stated "fix" for the recall: a warning sticker to not plug both in at the same time. Sounds like they will be offering refunds if you want to return. Not very happy with their idea of a fix, and will probably be returning the unit.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So on Expedition Portal, the official Dometic account posted the recall letter and their stated "fix" for the recall: a warning sticker to not plug both in at the same time. Sounds like they will be offering refunds if you want to return. Not very happy with their idea of a fix, and will probably be returning the unit.
I agree, the fix is not a fix. I would return it for a refund if I owned one of the impacted models. My fridge is older and not effected. I use it all the time with both DC and AC plugged in though. Guess I will grab a volt meter to double check mine is not having this issue though. Electrical fires are no fun.

Here is the thread: Dometic CFX3 Recall info thread

Reactions: PonoAdventures

KadenVentures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Kaden
Last Name
Galvez
Member #

After 6 months of beating this fridge up on the trail and driving across the country with it, I finally got around to putting a 6+ month review on the Dometic CFX3 45L fridge - Pros/Cons/Power setup/cost/anything I'd change with my purchase - Hope this video is helpful if your in the portable fridge market!

Reactions: 1Louder