Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

We were looking over the cost sheet. A lot of things didn’t make sense so he’s going to challenge them. They have a gas tank on there and neither of us can figure out what that could be about

It’s at a friend of a friends body shop now so he’s going to look at it and give him a better breakdown of what it needs.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Took advantage of the warmer weather today and got my sliders installed on the X. And with that, I think I’m done with modifying it for the next couple months. Going to do some maintenance on the daily and on this, as well as try to determine whether I go full steel bumper or just winch mount like the one below (leaning towards just the mount)

IMG_0359.JPGIMG_0360.JPGIMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Took advantage of the warmer weather today and got my sliders installed on the X. And with that, I think I’m done with modifying it for the next couple months. Going to do some maintenance on the daily and on this, as well as try to determine whether I go full steel bumper or just winch mount like the one below (leaning towards just the mount)

View attachment 126093View attachment 126094View attachment 126095
View attachment 126096
Tough decision ! I must go for steel bumper for tire clearance, so it's a wait till I find the money as always.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Mount for the win!

IMG_4005.jpg

In all honesty, it depends if it’s a daily or not. A full steel bumper is nice for the better angles but chips away at liveablity for day to day use. You’ll also need to upgrade to heavier springs to deal with the weight. I also like the stealth aspect of the mount. If done right it looks stock. Make sure you get the ‘wings’ if you go with the mount as you’ll be removing the stock crash bar.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Mount for the win!

View attachment 126105

In all honesty, it depends if it’s a daily or not. A full steel bumper is nice for the better angles but chips away at liveablity for day to day use. You’ll also need to upgrade to heavier springs to deal with the weight. I also like the stealth aspect of the mount. If done right it looks stock. Make sure you get the ‘wings’ if you go with the mount as you’ll be removing the stock crash bar.
I’ve got a civic to daily so theoretically I could do the steel bumper but I just really love the look of the mount and the stock bumper. I don’t plan on doing anything crazy so angles aren’t a huge issue to me and stock bumpers are a dime a dozen if I kill one lol

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Mount for the win!

View attachment 126105

I daily drive my X with a full Shrockworks bumper on it. It did add some weight but I also have 2.0 Rads with 650lb/in springs up front.

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
I daily drive my X with a full Shrockworks bumper on it. It did add some weight but I also have 2.0 Rads with 650lb/in springs up front.
Fair enough. I just remember my previous rig eating ball joints after I installed my full plate bumper. I got to be a pro at swapping them out since it require new ones roughly once a year lol!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Fair enough. I just remember my previous rig eating ball joints after I installed my full plate bumper. I got to be a pro at swapping them out since it require new ones roughly once a year lol!
Just checked my records and I've currently got about 25k miles on my front suspension setup (Rads have a little less, started with converted 5100s) and everything seems to be holding up ok. I have had to swap the steering rack but it had 170k miles on it when that happened.

I run MOOG full replacement LCAs and SPC upper control arms.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just checked my records and I've currently got about 25k miles on my front suspension setup (Rads have a little less, started with converted 5100s) and everything seems to be holding up ok. I have had to swap the steering rack but it had 170k miles on it when that happened.

I run MOOG full replacement LCAs and SPC upper control arms.
If I had a rig that ate ball joints I think I would grease the joints after ever off road run to get rid of what eats them. I doubt weight has anything to do with ball joint destruction. IMO but I could be wrong. I have never worn out a ball joint or king pin though I have changed them out on cars I have bought that others have owned before me. Always I have found zerts that are frozen and haven't been serviced in years. Same with u-joints. Never buy a rig that a woman has owned. :- )

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Well, the Audi is gone and it freed up some money for Xterra parts. While I’m going to hold off until closer to spring to order my fridge, I decided to pull the trigger on some recovery points since upgraded bumpers aren’t necessarily on my short list.

Adjustments.JPG

Hopefully they show up later this week so I can get some better pictures.

Also working through my final draft of a storage system so that should get started before New Years if all goes as planned.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well, the Audi is gone and it freed up some money for Xterra parts. While I’m going to hold off until closer to spring to order my fridge, I decided to pull the trigger on some recovery points since upgraded bumpers aren’t necessarily on my short list.

View attachment 130437

Also working through my final draft of a storage system so that should get started before New Years if all goes as planned.
Are they specific for your vehicle or will they work on all vehicles. Where do they attach ?

Reactions: M Rose

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

View attachment 130437

Would love to see your draft, mine is on hold for the time being ---stupid holidays ;) -- my one hold up is finger joints for the drawers want nice strong drawers but bought a cheap dado blade that refuses to cut clean

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

View attachment 130437

Where did you order the shackle kit?

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Are they specific for your vehicle or will they work on all vehicles. Where do they attach ?
They are specific to 2nd gen Xterras and Frontiers. The fronts bolt right up to the frame but the rears will require me to cut two slots in my rear bumper so they can attach to the frame.

Would love to see your draft, mine is on hold for the time being ---stupid holidays ;) -- my one hold up is finger joints for the drawers want nice strong drawers but bought a cheap dado blade that refuses to cut clean
Definitely will post up the plans once I finalize something. Trying to incorporate a way to easily switch between a fork mount for my bike and a fridge slide (or even another option)

Where did you order the shackle kit?
I ordered them from Habitat Off-road, they’re really the only option for rear points short of ordering a new bumper. AllDogs is planning to have a recovery point for sale sometime in early 2020 though.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Managed to get the fronts on, despite getting my butt kicked by the flu. These things are impressive, definitely worth the money for some peace of mind IMG_0669.JPGIMG_0670.JPGIMG_0676.JPG

Hopefully I’ll be feeling better by Monday to knock out the rears before I go run some trails later in the week.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Couldn’t sleep last night so I decided to brave the 20 degree temps and do the rears. Cutting the bumper did not go as smoothly as I had hoped and I spent most of the time drilling holes around the outline since the Dremel was taking an eternity (Probably didn’t help that I couldn’t feel my fingers though).

Attachments