Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

A couple months ago I decided to part ways with a car that I’ve had for the past 8 years (but hadn’t driven in almost 4) and go a different direction. Photo Sep 20, 10 23 45 PM.jpg

I traded in the low life for something more practical, an ‘09 Nissan Xterra Off-Road with 175k, that had been owned by a close friend who meticulously maintained for the last 120k and had outfitted it 33” General Grabbers.
IMG_1009.JPG
Apart from the tires and accompanied melt mod, the car was completely stock (he had previously sold the Volant intake before I decided to buy it). In the weeks leading up to me flying to Philadelphia I started to browse the Xterra forums and come up with some sort of a game plan for it. So far I’ve:

-Built a bike rack
IMG_1031.JPG

-Retrofitted a mirror with Ambient Temp from a Pathfinder
IMG_1102.JPG

-Painted the stock wheel since the clear coat was peeling
IMG_1398.JPG

-Purchased a 3”F/2”R spacer lift (which I didn’t realize would cause issues so I didn’t install)
0416B0BC-F477-406B-B6D4-344EADBF1B3F.jpg

-Installed some LED pods in the rear bumper to aid in the fact that I can’t see anything when reversing at night due to the dark tint
IMG_1429.JPG

-Mounted a car safe in my arm rest to keep my wallet and valuables safer than they would be in say the glovebox
IMG_1479.JPG

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

[continued from the original post]

-Purchased and installed some Navara hood struts to replace the saggy, stock prop
IMG_1554.JPG58940632830__49EA8421-8B9C-4C53-A932-8123BD887FA9.JPG

-Managed to find a set of lightly used Nisstec 5100 coilovers for a great price that I just couldn’t pass up (I’m going to use the 2” rear shackle from the previous kit for a temporary lift in the rear)3EE5BEF5-A3A5-477A-91F1-B36F4B5D36F0.jpg

-Scored a deal on a Smittybilt Overland Rooftop Tent and annex that I’ll hopefully be putting to use in the next two weeks when my buddy and I attempt to knock out a part of the Kentucky Adventure Trail IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1524.JPG

I also have a GOBI ladder on order that should be here in the next couple of weeks as well as some Shrockworks sliders (which I’ll document and install once they arrive)

In preparation for the ladder I built some brackets for mounting my recovery boards to the ladder in order to keep them on the outside of the vehicle since the RTT will take up all the roof storage.
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

The adventure is just beginning. Off-road tires + Maxtrax = ready for anything.

Reactions: Dusther210

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

The adventure is just beginning. Off-road tires + Maxtrax = ready for anything.
Oh most definitely, I’ve got a set of coils sitting in the garage waiting to go on and some sliders that should be here in the next couple of weeks. Definitely going to push myself a little further out of my comfort zone next time

Looks like it was a good trade up.
You’re not kidding, I’m having way more fun that I ever did in the Audi

Reactions: RoarinRow

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Not a whole lot going on lately. Been waiting on my buddy to pick up the Audi so I can get my lift on. So in the mean time, I’ve been trying to keep busy.

Managed to knock out the spark plugs (which were a PITA) because my buddy believes they’re the original ones and at 180k it definitely needed to be addressed. IMG_1844.JPG

Picked up a Coleman 426b from the 50/60’s and started a small restoration project. It fired up but it didn’t burn well enough to be efficient. IMG_1850.JPG While I’m still working on getting all the bugs sorted out (cleaning the rust out of the tank/rebuilding the pump) it definitely cleaned up nicely. IMG_0024.JPG

After 14 weeks my ladder finally showed up from Gobi. When I called on Sept 24th they initially said it would ship On the 27th but they missed that, and when I called back they said it would ship the 18th and that wasn’t going to fly. After being transferred twice they told me it would ship on the 11th. IMG_0104.JPG

And finally, after seeing six60six’s post about the Bracketeer Fire extinguisher Mount I decided to make my own since I wasn’t willing to fork out $60+cost of the fire extinguisher and bracket. All together I was just under $40 and that thing isn’t going anywhere. IMG_0122.JPG

Still waiting on my sliders but those are still a couple weeks out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Not a whole lot going on lately. Been waiting on my buddy to pick up the Audi so I can get my lift on. So in the mean time, I’ve been trying to keep busy.

Managed to knock out the spark plugs (which were a PITA) because my buddy believes they’re the original ones and at 180k it definitely needed to be addressed. View attachment 122322

Picked up a Coleman 426b from the 50/60’s and started a small restoration project. It fired up but it didn’t burn well enough to be efficient. View attachment 122323 While I’m still working on getting all the bugs sorted out (cleaning the rust out of the tank/rebuilding the pump) it definitely cleaned up nicely. View attachment 122325

After 14 weeks my ladder finally showed up from Gobi. When I called on Sept 24th they initially said it would ship On the 27th but they missed that, and when I called back they said it would ship the 18th and that wasn’t going to fly. After being transferred twice they told me it would ship on the 11th. View attachment 122329

And finally, after seeing six60six’s post about the Bracketeer Fire extinguisher Mount I decided to make my own since I wasn’t willing to fork out $60+cost of the fire extinguisher and bracket. All together I was just under $40 and that thing isn’t going anywhere. View attachment 122330

Still waiting on my sliders but those are still a couple weeks out.
I think your on the right track. Your about to embark into the unknown and now it's time to think about the winch you will probably need for your planned adventures into the back country. If you need sliders you will need a winch sooner or later. Good idea to visit an expo and attend some classes on rig retrieval, A winch is useless if you dont know how and when to use them as well as the other recovery equipment. Have fun !

Reactions: Dusther210

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Those old plugs dont look a bit over 5,000 miles.... electrodes look great, no carbon build up, no contamination.... I would have put them back in for anoth 100,000

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

I think your on the right track. Your about to embark into the unknown and now it's time to think about the winch you will probably need for your planned adventures into the back country. If you need sliders you will need a winch sooner or later. Good idea to visit an expo and attend some classes on rig retrieval, A winch is useless if you dont know how and when to use them as well as the other recovery equipment. Have fun !
Winch and mount are the short list. I more or less bought the sliders as a point to stand on and add a little bit of extra protection since the Western Kentucky part of the KAT can get a bit rocky.

Those old plugs dont look a bit over 5,000 miles.... electrodes look great, no carbon build up, no contamination.... I would have put them back in for anoth 100,000
I was definitely expecting much worse when I pulled them out. The car runs so much smoother now, it’s almost night and day.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Good news! My sliders showed up! But it’ll be a bit before they’re on, I need to coat them still. IMG_0249.JPG

Pulled the Audi outside and decided to knock out pads, rotors and an oil change on the X. The brakes went so smoothly that I decided to try to tackle the lift again... and that’s where everything went downhill.

As of right now the casualty count stands at:
(2) UCA’s [boots tore on the ball joints when they started spinning]
(1) 3/8 extension
(1) Breaker bar

59415642735__DE41D6E6-7AD4-461A-AF3B-96338C457462.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
59435703032__F3372001-20FD-46BD-992B-F1FD39291856.JPGIMG_0280.JPG

Also I traded the annex I got with my RTT for an awning. Finally get to use the mounts I bought a couple months ago, sometimes it pays to think ahead I guess
IMG_0269.JPG

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Is it just me, or are a bunch of people jumping on the xterra bandwagon lately? I did the same thing recently (bought a low mileage 03). I just find it interesting that I'm seeing more X build threads pop up lately.

Good looking X, btw.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Is it just me, or are a bunch of people jumping on the xterra bandwagon lately? I did the same thing recently (bought a low mileage 03). I just find it interesting that I'm seeing more X build threads pop up lately.

Good looking X, btw.
Do they have a low range transfer case. If so it should be a nice smaller rig. It is neat looking and has a good stance.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Good looking X, btw.
Thank you! Yeah haha I’ve noticed that. I think because they’re cheaper and as capable as 4runners people are realizing they’re good little rigs. (Also have less frame rust issues)

Do they have a low range transfer case. If so it should be a nice smaller rig. It is neat looking and has a good stance.
Yes they do. And depending on the model (off-road, pro 4-x) they have rear e-locker and downhill assist from the factory. I haven’t had to use my locker yet but it’s nice to know it’s there.

IMG_0304.JPG

Managed to get the lift fully installed, just waiting on two shackle bushings from Nissan to finish completely so I can take it for a test ride. Right now it’s sitting at 38 front and 38.5 rear gtf but I’m hoping the front settles for more rake.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Nice looking rig!

Do you plan to upgrade the upper control arms at some point? The oem's are going to limit your wheel travel quite a bit.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looks good with that lift!

When I decided to pick up a dedicated adventuring vehicle, I was considering 4runners, 1st and 2nd gen xterras, xjs and early 2000s grand cherokees.

Jeeps are hard to find with lower milage and no rust. Not to mention jeep issues. 4runners were all super high mileage for anything approaching $6k (my budget).

I settled on a first gen with low milage (135k) for a few reasons.

Bullet proof motor. The vg33e motor in the first gen xterras is pretty hard to kill. Change the timing belt, and keep an eye on the valve cover gaskets for oil leaks, and you're good.

Simplicity. Manual transfer case, torsion bars, leaf springs, all old school tech, and simple to work on.

Cost.
I paid 5800 for a really good first gen with low mileage and a good service history. I was also able to confirm the timing belt and associated parts were changed at 111k.

I've been driving it since I bought it, and dare I say, I like it better than my truck (except when it's REALLY cold).

Reactions: eagle_A40