First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks good with that lift!

When I decided to pick up a dedicated adventuring vehicle, I was considering 4runners, 1st and 2nd gen xterras, xjs and early 2000s grand cherokees.

Jeeps are hard to find with lower milage and no rust. Not to mention jeep issues. 4runners were all super high mileage for anything approaching $6k (my budget).

I settled on a first gen with low milage (135k) for a few reasons.

Bullet proof motor. The vg33e motor in the first gen xterras is pretty hard to kill. Change the timing belt, and keep an eye on the valve cover gaskets for oil leaks, and you're good.

Simplicity. Manual transfer case, torsion bars, leaf springs, all old school tech, and simple to work on.

Cost.
I paid 5800 for a really good first gen with low mileage and a good service history. I was also able to confirm the timing belt and associated parts were changed at 111k.

I've been driving it since I bought it, and dare I say, I like it better than my truck (except when it's REALLY cold).
Looking good!! I'm in a 2010 X, I had to take a sawzall to the bolts on my UCA's
Hey, don't I know you guys? haha!

Reactions: reaver and MeHere!

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Nice looking rig!

Do you plan to upgrade the upper control arms at some point? The oem's are going to limit your wheel travel quite a bit.
Yeah, I’ll be upgrading in a bit. I just needed to get it back on the road but I think I’ll have some CBC so it may have to come sooner than later.

Coleman white gas gear and Xterrras! I'm in!!!
Can’t wait to break it in, was definitely a fun little project. My buddy has a parts lantern he said I could rebuild if I wanted to.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Can’t wait to break it in, was definitely a fun little project. My buddy has a parts lantern he said I could rebuild if I wanted to.
Careful, that's a slippery slope! I have 8 running lanterns of various vintages and designs (even two rare AGM built lanterns from the 50's), a 1942 242B apart for rebuild and 4 stoves. It all started with a C-list two burner and a 220K for $40 about 6 years ago...

I gave a 220E I had no interest in to a friend two years ago and he now has 13 lanterns and 4 stoves as well.... His wife loves me.... :laughing:

zanethan

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, North Carolina
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Campen
Is it just me, or are a bunch of people jumping on the xterra bandwagon lately? I did the same thing recently (bought a low mileage 03). I just find it interesting that I'm seeing more X build threads pop up lately.

Good looking X, btw.
I picked mine up (2011 MT) a year ago as well. It’s probably because the X is arguably the best value modern SUV right now. Simple enough that you can still wrench on it (also reliable), new enough that you can pick them up with less than 50k on the clock, cheap enough that you don’t need a 10 yr loan to buy one (most are sub $20k), and capable enough to handle 95% of what the typical owner will throw at them.

Great build OP! Front suspension work is always terrible!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I picked mine up (2011 MT) a year ago as well. It’s probably because the X is arguably the best value modern SUV right now. Simple enough that you can still wrench on it (also reliable), new enough that you can pick them up with less than 50k on the clock, cheap enough that you don’t need a 10 yr loan to buy one (most are sub $20k), and capable enough to handle 95% of what the typical owner will throw at them.

Great build OP! Front suspension work is always terrible!
I think that's exactly it. I paid 5800 for mine, and while the 2nd gens have a bit more aftermarket support, there's still plenty of support for the first gens.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Is it just me, or are a bunch of people jumping on the xterra bandwagon lately?
I'm a leaf spring fan for the rear of a vehicle that's going to be carrying a load. Always have been and always will be I imagine. Combine that with full box frame construction and IFS and it was really my only option. I've always had a soft spot for Nissans and the wife and I had considered an Xterra before when we were searching for a small SUV for her years ago. We wound up with an extra kid and a Suburban at that time though...

When I started shopping for something to make a little adventure build out of, the Xterra was immediately on my radar and when mine popped up at a friend's shop, I couldn't pass it up. I can say I'm honestly very satisfied with my Xterra and still like it very much. There are days I miss the SFA of my Cherokee off-road but the IFS on the road makes up for those days easily.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Nice Xterra, :smile: the 4X4 versions are very good machines for off roading, they are way underated!!

Body on frame 4X4's are becoming a thing of the past, unibody construction has come a long way ............... but will never equal a body on frame 4X4 for long time durability.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm a leaf spring fan for the rear of a vehicle that's going to be carrying a load. Always have been and always will be I imagine. Combine that with full box frame construction and IFS and it was really my only option. I've always had a soft spot for Nissans and the wife and I had considered an Xterra before when we were searching for a small SUV for her years ago. We wound up with an extra kid and a Suburban at that time though...

When I started shopping for something to make a little adventure build out of, the Xterra was immediately on my radar and when mine popped up at a friend's shop, I couldn't pass it up. I can say I'm honestly very satisfied with my Xterra and still like it very much. There are days I miss the SFA of my Cherokee off-road but the IFS on the road makes up for those days easily.
Don't forget how easy it is to Titan swap the front suspension and get 10" or more of wheel travel using OEM style parts.....

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

The Xterras have a pretty good community as well, loving mine, can't wait to see how yours progresses!

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Really love the Xterra community, coming from a VERY tight knit b5 community it’s definitely important to me.

Pulled the X out of the garage for a test drive, 0 CBC and no odd noises. Getting it aligned tomorrow and hopefully breaking it in on Saturday with some of the OB:Southeast members.

IMG_0321.JPG

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

Is there an sas kit for the 2nd gens? I know of 2 for the first gens, but haven't looked into it too much.

Really love the Xterra community, coming from a VERY tight knit b5 community it’s definitely important to me.

Pulled the X out of the garage for a test drive, 0 CBC and no odd noises. Getting it aligned tomorrow and hopefully breaking it in on Saturday with some of the OB:Southeast members.

View attachment 125487
Looking good man! I'm doing the same with mine next weekend.

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Careful, that's a slippery slope! I have 8 running lanterns of various vintages and designs (even two rare AGM built lanterns from the 50's), a 1942 242B apart for rebuild and 4 stoves. It all started with a C-list two burner and a 220K for $40 about 6 years ago...

I gave a 220E I had no interest in to a friend two years ago and he now has 13 lanterns and 4 stoves as well.... His wife loves me.... :laughing:
Funny, my buddy just gifted me a 220D to rebuild IMG_0327.JPG

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

My buddy and I were planning a trip for next weekend to knock out more of the Kentucky Adventure Trail and do some camping but thanks to a distracted driver we’re gonna have to postpone it. My roommate called when my buddy and I were at dinner and asked me to describe his car and just responded with “I was hoping you weren’t going to say that”. From looking at it the damage toll consists of: one wheel, both drivers doors and a front fender. Thankfully somehow she managed to miss the quarter panel.

View attachment 125569
View attachment 125570

I’m just glad we had taken the X, despite the fact it needed an alignment, cause otherwise she probably would have pushed his car into mine.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My buddy and I were planning a trip for next weekend to knock out more of the Kentucky Adventure Trail and do some camping but thanks to a distracted driver we’re gonna have to postpone it. My roommate called when my buddy and I were at dinner and asked me to describe his car and just responded with “I was hoping you weren’t going to say that”. From looking at it the damage toll consists of: one wheel, both drivers doors and a front fender. Thankfully somehow she managed to miss the quarter panel.

View attachment 125569
View attachment 125570

I’m just glad we had taken the X, despite the fact it needed an alignment, cause otherwise she probably would have pushed his car into mine.
Attachments wont open