The "NEW" Nissan Pathfinder

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

My wife had a 96 Pathfinder. First year of Unibody if I recall? It got her out of some pickles, one being a ditch... Was a good rig, we took it to the Gulf several times. Holly Beach in the old days pre hurricane "Rita".

Then they sorta morphed into a soccer Mom / minivan thing.

I'm seeing all these new commercials now about the "new" Nissan Pathfinder, showing the old ones, climbing hills, yada yada etc., etc.

Is Nissan back, or is it all just hype ?

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I don't know about that but that old one they show in the commercial looks awesome!
The new one looks like it's still a unibody with low hanging body cladding, small tire sidewalls, and probably doesn't include a low range but instead a hyped-up AWD system.
Rarely do vehicles become more fundamentally off-road capable throughout the years.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

in the early 90's they were "hardbodies"...probably marketing hype but cool looking. I think 31's were available. A large tire for a stocker at the time.

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
in the early 90's they were "hardbodies"...probably marketing hype but cool looking. I think 31's were available. A large tire for a stocker at the time.
Drove my buddies early 90s Pathfinder quite a bit back then when I had my 85 Toyota pickup. His rig wasn't quite as capable as mine offroad but was still pretty damn legit for a stock SUV.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Had a 98/99 pathfinder chillkoot trail edition, bought new. 3000km in struck a moose on the highway and did 20k in damage. She was repaired by Nissan in Newfoundland, but they forgot to fix the hoof mark in the roof line about the windshield. It's still there to this day.

One great thing about the 2022 PF, is that they ditched the chitty CVT transmission for a real trans. CVT is the worst thing to ever put in a vehicle.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Had a 98/99 pathfinder chillkoot trail edition, bought new. 3000km in struck a moose on the highway and did 20k in damage. She was repaired by Nissan in Newfoundland, but they forgot to fix the hoof mark in the roof line about the windshield. It's still there to this day.

One great thing about the 2022 PF, is that they ditched the chitty CVT transmission for a real trans. CVT is the worst thing to ever put in a vehicle.
Struck a moose in Newfoundland huh....did a bike trip up there in 2010. First time I ever saw one up close and personal, what impressed me most was the size of them....like a cow on stilts!They scared the hell outa me, did not want to meet one on the hiway!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Struck a moose in Newfoundland huh....did a bike trip up there in 2010. First time I ever saw one up close and personal, what impressed me most was the size of them....like a cow on stilts!They scared the hell outa me, did not want to meet one on the hiway!
Even less so coming into your lap! I was driving from Gander to Grand Falls-WIndsor just outside Gander on top of "repeater hill" a cow and a calf walked out in front of me, I picked the calf and still got 20k of damage. I call them tree cows. ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Krusty

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Had two Hardbody, body on frame, low range Pathfinders along with twin turbo 300ZX. Miss them all to this day.

Nope, new one is still unibody new Blazer category. It'll get you out of shallow mud puddle if you have skills.

Reactions: Arailt

Jeckel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Had two Hardbody, body on frame, low range Pathfinders along with twin turbo 300ZX. Miss them all to this day.

Nope, new one is still unibody new Blazer category. It'll get you out of shallow mud puddle if you have skills.
I have an 04, first gen of the unibody with the vq35 and manual TC. It does very well off road in the mud and snow, and climbing. Definitely not a rock crawler tho. I really wish they had stayed body on frame.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

Not quite, The new one has selectable 4wd as far as I can remember so an honest to goodness transfer case. Unlike the new blazer which is basically an equinox with a different body.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just watched the video and a couple others in this. What a joke. Yes nice vehicle, yes nice "Intelligent 4wd" (sounds like AWD w options to me) but no, not a serious offroad vehicle. Great with highway snow and rain but just such a lack of clearance.

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Not quite, The new one has selectable 4wd as far as I can remember so an honest to goodness transfer case. Unlike the new blazer which is basically an equinox with a different body.
It has "intelligent 4x4" and a "terrain mode selector," not a transfer case. Seems like a marketers spin on AWD.

My vote @OP - all hype.