The Mother of All Trips (AZ to WA, ID, MT, UT)

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will be heading up to the Northwest Overland Rally and then heading back via MT, ID, and UT. Some of my planned route will be along the Idaho BDR (Border to Border) trip. I have never been to MT or the sections of the ID BDR route. If anyone has any suggested camping spots, towns, restaurants, POI like the largest ball of twine please let me know. We have been to Sandpoint, ID and love that area. If we can make it to Alpine, WY I want to make a quick visit to the airpark there and drool over homes I can probably never afford.

I will most likely be driving via eastern NV up into ID then OR to get to the NWOR. Never been there so if there are any particular stops to note let me know. I fly over it all the time audit seems pretty darn desolate.

The route takes us up to Plain, Wa for the Northwest Overland Rally and then to the following proposed locations:

• Cascades National Park for a quick visit
  • Over to Sandpoint, ID
  • East to Kalispell, MT and Glacier National Park
  • Down to Missoula, MT and then back into ID
  • Modified ID BDR Route which will exclude a few sections and add a couple of different routes for places I want to see including - Sun Valley and the Craters of the Moon park
  • Then head east to take a peek at Alpine, WY (Time permitting) with the return to AZ via pavement through a portion of the UT BDR we did last year. One of my dream Airparks is located in Alpine.
  • After entering UT it will be the typical route via Salt Lake area towards Kanab and then down through Marble Canyon and home.
While the route is "planned" the number of days in places and specific campsites are not. There are too many variables including the weather, availability, finding a unique spot to stay, mood du jour, etc.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
When are you planning on being in the Sandpoint area? It would be fun to do a trail ride with you and maybe an overnight camp...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
When are you planning on being in the Sandpoint area? It would be fun to do a trail ride with you and maybe an overnight camp...
Most likely the 30th. I need to figure out where we might be able to camp. Last time I was there I flew in and we stayed in a hotel.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
There is room in the front yard next to the fire pit. Or we can head into the mountains.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
There is room in the front yard next to the fire pit. Or we can head into the mountains.
I will keep you posted. Since I don't think there is any camping on the lake above with a view of the lake would be nice.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anyone got camping recommendations around Missoula? I think we will there for the 4th. So I would be looking for something that is fairly close by. Facilities not required. From there we are going to work our way towards Boise.

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Not sure how you will be on time, but you would be passing by Magruder Corridor one of the most remote routes around. Exiting by Dillion MT, easy route to Boise.
Worth looking into IMHO.

If you decide to do the Yellowstone thing, let me know as there is far better way than what is published.

Sounds like great trip, enjoy. (Sand point has pretty great fly in airport)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Because I am going to be solo vehicle I will likely skip Magruder unless I run into someone that says they just did it and the road is clear. We are going to hotel it on the 4th in Missoula so I can drink beer and not worry about driving. Planning on Hwy 12 because I hear it is really scenic and then dirt after that along the ID BDR route.

Yes, Sandpoint is an amazing place. We flew in their in 2002 for the 4th of July.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Currently in Rockport, WA. I am going to head back through the Cascades National Park tomorrow and will likely camp at Gorge Lake Campground (anyone ever been?) or the big campground close to Diablo lake, Colonial Creek. Opinions and ideas welcome. I think I am going to go via Grand Coulee dam to Spokane. Is any camping along Lake Roosevelt any good?

Thanks!

PS: The NWOR was a blast. One fellow member camped next to me and I saw several others but was so busy running around that I didn't get an opportunity to stop and chat.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Looking for help for any open camping around Kalispell Whitefish area. Based on research I can see there are tons of small campgrounds in the area but they are either full or first come first serve. I don't think we will be there until Saturday the 2nd on 4th of July Weekend! Free free to laugh at me. Ha Ha look at that silly fool trying to find a place to camp!!!! It is just the way the timing is going to work or not. Worst case we do a day trip in the area and head south.

Thanks!
Chris

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just got back from my 4667.5 mile journey through AZ, NV, ID, OR, WA, ID, MT, ID, UT, AZ! I did most of the Idaho Backcountry Discovery route. Parts were closed and other parts I deemed less important and had to save time. Great trip. Idaho is damn amazing. There are campgrounds everywhere, even more designated camping spots, and of course open camping in the national forests. I will work on a complete write up but that will take some time. I hope to return and my next trip will involve going through UT, WY, MT and then back into eastern Idaho.

I highly recommend the Backcountry Discovery Routes. Idaho was the best so far. I also have done AZ and UT. Possibly doing NM in September. http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com

Hopefully I can have my trip report done within 2 weeks. It was a 2.5 week trip.