The Morrison Jeep Trail, Shoshone National Forest, WY

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

The Morrison Trail; are we getting ourselves into something more difficult then we're used to?

Merri and I are putting together trip logistics for this year and are in need of a little info on a detail. On one of our trips we'll be coming west out of the Big Horn Mountains in WY heading towards the Shoshone and Yellowstone. Have any of you driven up the Morrison Road/Trail lately? I'm not finding a whole lot of credible info to base our decision on whether we want to do it alone (one vehicle) or not. We would value your opinion.

A little about us and our rig. Although fairly new (four years) to the upper end of difficult trails we do have experience on many of the trails around the San Jaun Mnts in CO, most notably Black Bear and Imogene. Another fun one for us was Elephant Hill in Canyonlands NP, as well as much lesser known trails all over the US. We've had some, although limited, offroad driving and recovery training. Probably our best attribute we have going for us is our common sense and problem solving skills.

Our rig is a '17 4Runner, 3" lift sitting on top of 33" mud terrains. It's equipped with all the usual armor; skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, etc.

What do you think? Are we about to bite off more than we can chew?

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
The Morrison Trail; are we getting ourselves into something more difficult then we're used to?

Merri and I are putting together trip logistics for this year and are in need of a little info on a detail. On one of our trips we'll be coming west out of the Big Horn Mountains in WY heading towards the Shoshone and Yellowstone. Have any of you driven up the Morrison Road/Trail lately? I'm not finding a whole lot of credible info to base our decision on whether we want to do it alone (one vehicle) or not. We would value your opinion.

A little about us and our rig. Although fairly new (four years) to the upper end of difficult trails we do have experience on many of the trails around the San Jaun Mnts in CO, most notably Black Bear and Imogene. Another fun one for us was Elephant Hill in Canyonlands NP, as well as much lesser known trails all over the US. We've had some, although limited, offroad driving and recovery training. Probably our best attribute we have going for us is our common sense and problem solving skills.

Our rig is a '17 4Runner, 3" lift sitting on top of 33" mud terrains. It's equipped with all the usual armor; skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, etc.

What do you think? Are we about to bite off more than we can chew?

View attachment 88486
I'm interested in the The Morrison Trail. And would love to see a GPS track and review from anyone who has run it in the last couple of years.

SCSawman

Rank 0

Traveler I

I too am looking to do it but will probably be out there too early this year but we will see. I plan to do it solo unless I run into someone or hear of someone wanting to venture thru. I will be leaving South Carolina on June 14th to head to Glacier N.P., hopefully I can find some mountain road to explore that is not still covered in the white stuff.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Snow is slooooowly going away out here. Especially at elevation. We have a conference call this weekend and usually get a snow report from @RyuKyuRvr. He lives up pretty high and can give you an idea of how high you might be able to get.

-Sandpoint Steve

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I have safely gotten up to 5800ft without being challenged and I was at 6212 on a north facing slope before I got stopped Thursday. With this rain I imagine we’ll be clearing the higher elevations soon

SCSawman

Rank 0

Traveler I

If the Morrison Jeep Trail is not open do any of you suggest another overland route in Montana that might be open? My big destination for this years trip is the east side of Glacier N.P., but will have several days to do some exploring.

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I did a little research on the Morrison trail while exploring ideas for this years trip. Doesn't look like it would normally open until late August. With the snow the west has gotten this year I wouldn't bank on it being open any sooner than that, if not several weeks later. Based on the videos I've seen of people doing the trail, I wouldn't go it alone that's for sure.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I have safely gotten up to 5800ft without being challenged and I was at 6212 on a north facing slope before I got stopped Thursday. With this rain I imagine we’ll be clearing the higher elevations soon
Thanks for the report. What are the odds the trail will be clear and relatively stable around mid-July?

Kdj

Rank 0

Contributor I

Naptown
Funny just watched this yesterday . Looks like a great trail. But like kenstaroni said I wouldn't do it alone