Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
18360940_1561245153899964_811123345_n.jpg 18386943_1561244440566702_1053191097_n.jpg IMG_5179.jpg G1M+cB0kQJa9%pI1b+0adw_thumb_5382.jpg IMG_4661.jpg So not sure how many are aware but we are currently into our 10th week travelling from Cyprus to the UK through Turkey and Europe over a 12 month period inWilson our 16 year old Land Rover and Lara our converted ex military trailer.

We have completed about 6500 miles, have replaced 1 blown intercooler and 1 leaking head gasket.
We are now into our 3rd week in Greece heading south and our route up to now can be seen through this link.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1CFUeMM7cKa3kuNZ6a8auFOqCnxI&hl=en&usp=sharing

Our website www.polaris-overland.com carries pictures of our travels and blogs of the countries, places and people we have met.
We tend to run a week or so behind mostly due to lack of decent wifi at camp sites or bars so I will apologise now.

Once we have a few countries under our belt we will be giving details on costs of travelling broken down into, fuel, vehicle repairs, food, accomodation etc and an average daily cost. Cost of travelling is a common question on almost all overland forums so hopefully we can give some substance to these questions.

So hopefully some of you will come and say hello on our website and Facebook Page Polaris Overland.
We can also be found on instagram @polarisoverland.
Feel free to ask questions we are happy to offer advice on our experiences including what we did right, what we did wrong, what we brought but don't need and what we would do differently.

Safe travels

Attachments

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So after 8 weeks in Turkey, 5 weeks in Greece we arrived in Albania yesterday. The roads are a bit lumpy which is fun and it takes double the time you expect to get anywhere, oh and it's damn hot but loving it so far.
Plan is s couple more days here then into Montenegro !

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Our blog for the time in Greece as such is available to view here.
We enjoyed Greece, more so the latter half as we ended up with head gasket replacement early on after arrival.
The Peloponnese Area is great and some great driving routes. Halkidiki below Thessaloniki has some great spots for wild camping.
Athens was as expected crowded.

https://www.polaris-overland.com/single-post/2017/07/05/Yassas-Greece

Please have a look, let us know what you think.

I am currently sorting route info from my Spot which I will publish once I have worked out the bugs in creating the route from its waypoint.

Thanks guys.IMG_5714.jpg 19832846_1623780724313073_202946681_n.jpg IMG_5745.jpg 19832838_1623780697646409_730474358_n.jpg IMG_5601.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: The GrooGrux King

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We are currently in Croatia, having passed through Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro and now Croatia.

Albania north and south in the mountains was amazing. The inner flat hot dusty central part not so much. Montenegro and Kotor was wonderful.

More photos and updates will follow.

Attachments

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So we are now in country number 16, approx 11.5k miles and gone from temps in the low 40 degs c (Croatia) to now 8 degs c in Estonia.
Still moving forwards and still loving the trip and meeting great people along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: The GrooGrux King