The best map/GPS Ive ever used

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Came in my Mini Cooper Nav. It had Satellite view and looked like Google maps. I couldn't get it to work as a guidance for anything, but for telling me where I was at and to see where I was heading, it was great. I also like Google maps satellite view.
I don't do a whole lot of route planning, Im more of a "Im gonna go that way" kinda guy.
So I like the real time tracking so I can see where roads are going as Im driving down em, or thinking about driving down em at the spur of the moment. Cause thats how I do it. Spur of the moment.
I would like to find a system that works like my Mini Cooper did and use a tablet.
So far, from reading, my best option seems to be buy a tablet and buy the Gaia app, with some kind of GPS subscription.
So, what would all you tech geeks recommend for a non tech geek that wants things simple?
:smirk:

Reactions: Lead K9

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Paging @1Louder

There are a few threads discussing the utility of different apps, Gaia Pro, HEMA maps, Backcountry Navigator, even Earthmate paired with Gamin Explorer (my choice) are out there.

Not sure if they're as cool as the Mini deal, but probably more functional for what you want to do.

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I believe there is already a pretty comprehensive GPS app thread. Ill search for it and post it on here...
Here are my thoughts...
I run a Ipad Air 2 connected to a dual skypro GPS receiver. I have yet to find an app I like 100%. what they all seem to lack is the ability to download large sections of the map at full detail depth. So lets say I was going to big bear.. I would have to download different sections in diff zoom ranges for offline navigation. To me that is super annoying... I have tried Giaa, Leadnav, Backcountry, and TRX.

Each have their good and bads. Leadnav seems to be the best out of those 4 but it is also very pricey. The Magellan TRX is nice because it has pre loaded trails but it also has it downsides which I'm going to post in a review soon.

I'm sure this didn't hep and will prob lead to more questions haha

-Raul

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

I believe there is already a pretty comprehensive GPS app thread. Ill search for it and post it on here...
Here are my thoughts...
I run a Ipad Air 2 connected to a dual skypro GPS receiver. I have yet to find an app I like 100%. what they all seem to lack is the ability to download large sections of the map at full detail depth. So lets say I was going to big bear.. I would have to download different sections in diff zoom ranges for offline navigation. To me that is super annoying... I have tried Giaa, Leadnav, Backcountry, and TRX.

Each have their good and bads. Leadnav seems to be the best out of those 4 but it is also very pricey. The Magellan TRX is nice because it has pre loaded trails but it also has it downsides which I'm going to post in a review soon.

-Raul
I am interested to hear more about your set up, I feel that GPS technology is very behind the times and I am a huge tech junky. What are the biggest advantages to having the GPS receiver?

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I am interested to hear more about your set up, I feel that GPS technology is very behind the times and I am a huge tech junky. What are the biggest advantages to having the GPS receiver?
Well my Ipad is only wifi so I have to have a GPS receiver in order for offline navigation to work.. that being said I also had a android tablet with built in wifi but I found that the receiver was far more accurate than the one that was built in. Also with the dual Skypro I can connect more than one device. The ipad for tapo and another smaller tablet for onroad navigation...

-Raul

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Here are my thoughts...

-Raul
It helps.
The problem with the GPS app thread is it got way to techy for me to follow.
The one thing I know is I won't be able to get what I want, so I will have to go with the best option I can.
One thing I will do is use my phone as a wifi hotspot to run google maps on a wifi, and maybe gps enabled tablet. But when I am somewhere I can't get cell signal ill have to go to the app.
So, one question, is tablet enabled GPS work well? Does the GPS work inside a vehicle? Do they make external antennas?
So, if I have a GPS enabled tablet, will that mesh with one of the map apps ?

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Paging @1Louder

There are a few threads discussing the utility of different apps, Gaia Pro, HEMA maps, Backcountry Navigator, even Earthmate paired with Gamin Explorer (my choice) are out there.

Not sure if they're as cool as the Mini deal, but probably more functional for what you want to do.
More functional because it would be a total pain in the rear not to mention completely cost prohibitive to buy another Mini and have the NAV system transferred into my Taco?

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

It helps.
The problem with the GPS app thread is it got way to techy for me to follow.
The one thing I know is I won't be able to get what I want, so I will have to go with the best option I can.
One thing I will do is use my phone as a wifi hotspot to run google maps on a wifi, and maybe gps enabled tablet. But when I am somewhere I can't get cell signal ill have to go to the app.
So, one question, is tablet enabled GPS work well? Does the GPS work inside a vehicle? Do they make external antennas?
So, if I have a GPS enabled tablet, will that mesh with one of the map apps ?
my tablet enabled GPS sucked which is the reason I went with an external GPS receiver (dual skypro gps). as far as the apps go I think you should just pick one and stick to it. they are all generally around the same.

-Raul

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Man I guy can't take a dump and a shower and this thread goes crazy with posts.

I would really encourage you to keep your questions within one of the other posts because now all the info gets scattered around and harder to source.

There really needs to be a flowchart.

Are you an Apple person, Android person, or don't care person?

What's your budget?

Do you value quality software which may have a recurring fee or do you think an app should be cheap (under $10) and have lifetime updates.

Are you willing to learn the software you purchase with your hard earned dollars?

In most cases an Android tablet with built in GPS will work fine. I hate Android though so one could say my recommendations are biased towards iOS. Doesn't matter to me.

If said tablet is going to be a dedicated device for your vehicle again you could lean towards Android. Remember if you want lots of maps to be available offline you need storage. That $89 Android tablet with 16gb of storage won't cut it.

I like purposeful gear and like having an external GPS. I use my Delorme InReach for this purpose but there are Bluetooth GPS pucks for between $80-$100 which work well.

As for being too technical well sometimes you just got to read up and educate yourself. I've had to do it lots of times. These questions have been asked, answered and discussed many times before.

My setup:
Hardware -
Ram Mounts
iPad with 128gb storage
Delorme InReach

Software -
Gaia GPS
Maplets
Avenza PDF maps
Maps.me for offline street navigation
Delorme Explorer
My Radar Pro (requires cell service)

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

my tablet enabled GPS sucked which is the reason I went with an external GPS receiver (dual skypro gps). as far as the apps go I think you should just pick one and stick to it. they are all generally around the same.

-Raul
Hey, I wanna thank you for your input. Got me headed in the right direction. I know what Im gonna get for mapping now. Thanks.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Man I guy can't take a dump and a shower and this thread goes crazy with posts.

I would really encourage you to keep your questions within one of the other posts because now all the info gets scattered around and harder to source.

There really needs to be a flowchart.

Are you an Apple person, Android person, or don't care person?

What's your budget?

Do you value quality software which may have a recurring fee or do you think an app should be cheap (under $10) and have lifetime updates.

Are you willing to learn the software you purchase with your hard earned dollars?

In most cases an Android tablet with built in GPS will work fine. I hate Android though so one could say my recommendations are biased towards iOS. Doesn't matter to me.

If said tablet is going to be a dedicated device for your vehicle again you could lean towards Android. Remember if you want lots of maps to be available offline you need storage. That $89 Android tablet with 16gb of storage won't cut it.

I like purposeful gear and like having an external GPS. I use my Delorme InReach for this purpose but there are Bluetooth GPS pucks for between $80-$100 which work well.

As for being too technical well sometimes you just got to read up and educate yourself. I've had to do it lots of times. These questions have been asked, answered and discussed many times before.

My setup:
Hardware -
Ram Mounts
iPad with 128gb storage
Delorme InReach

Software -
Gaia GPS
Maplets
Avenza PDF maps
Maps.me for offline street navigation
Delorme Explorer
My Radar Pro (requires cell service)
Hey, thanks for the input. Ya, I started this thread because I got lost in the other threads that you referenced. Just to much info that was over my head. Ya, I get the "you just got to educate yourself" aspect. I don't want to. I just have no interest in learning or dealing with all the tech stuff. To me its not interesting or fun. Funny, coming from the internet, right? But then too, we are on a 1990s web form, the internet forum. I don't have snapchat, Facebook, myspace, twitter, or any of that other stuff. I limit it to internet forums, because I don't like messing with tech stuff. So, in short, I just wanted someone to tell me what would work. I use apple stuff. I use it because it just works and I don't have to mess with it.
Oh, I should say, I don't mind paying for something, but I don't want to buy something then have to do in app purchases. That just pisses me off. Just give me a price and Ill decide if I want to buy it or not. Don't sucker me in with one price, then tell me I have to spend more and more on in app purchases.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
In Gaia you can download an entire state if you want. Just zoom out so you can see the entire state, drag the guides to cover the state and then pick your zoom level at the top of the app. Depending on the map type and/or selected layers the download could be very large. I don't recommend this because maps are updated periodically but it does work.

Reactions: GA_Jeeper57

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey, thanks for the input. Ya, I started this thread because I got lost in the other threads that you referenced. Just to much info that was over my head. Ya, I get the "you just got to educate yourself" aspect. I don't want to. I just have no interest in learning or dealing with all the tech stuff. To me its not interesting or fun. Funny, coming from the internet, right? But then too, we are on a 1990s web form, the internet forum. I don't have snapchat, Facebook, myspace, twitter, or any of that other stuff. I limit it to internet forums, because I don't like messing with tech stuff. So, in short, I just wanted someone to tell me what would work. I use apple stuff. I use it because it just works and I don't have to mess with it.
Oh, I should say, I don't mind paying for something, but I don't want to buy something then have to do in app purchases. That just pisses me off. Just give me a price and Ill decide if I want to buy it or not. Don't sucker me in with one price, then tell me I have to spend more and more on in app purchases.
Then my list above applies to you. Gaia is $20 for the base version. Pro is a subscription which you can pay for monthly or annually. Only you can decide if the pro subscription is worth it to you. No single app will do everything you want. You have been warned though. Reading tutorials is required. These are powerful apps and have a learning curve to make the most of them. So you can mirror my setup or any other that has been suggested.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Then my list above applies to you. Gaia is $20 for the base version. Pro is a subscription which you can pay for monthly or annually. Only you can decide if the pro subscription is worth it to you. No single app will do everything you want. You have been warned though. Reading tutorials is required. These are powerful apps and have a learning curve to make the most of them. So you can mirror my setup or any other that has been suggested.
Heres what I was thinking. iPad, Gaia, (I have read the other threads and I do know your the Gaia guy. Reading your posts got me looking at the Gaia) and the Dual Skypro. What ya think? Will the Gaia MVUMs be an update or will I have to pay for an in app when and if it comes out?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Heres what I was thinking. iPad, Gaia, (I have read the other threads and I do know your the Gaia guy. Reading your posts got me looking at the Gaia) and the Dual Skypro. What ya think? Will the Gaia MVUMs be an update or will I have to pay for an in app when and if it comes out?
I'm not familiar with that GPS unit but I imagine it works fine. Dual GPS is also a good unit. No idea on the price difference. I don't know the release date for the MVUM Maps. My guess is they will be a part of the pro subscription. However, a new version of the app is going to be released soon. Features may move around some. So we won't know until the new app launches. It will be released when ready and not for any upcoming event. Yeah that's a jab at a "competing product".

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Doesn't anyone use the handheld GPS's anymore? Am I outdated since I have a Garmin 62s that I used on my ATV for 3 years? When I was a transporter I used my iPad Air as a GPS(using Apple maps TomTom) and it worked great. I put velcro on the backside of the cover and then stuck it to my dash pad. Worked great for 460,000 miles.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Doesn't anyone use the handheld GPS's anymore? Am I outdated since I have a Garmin 62s that I used on my ATV for 3 years? When I was a transporter I used my iPad Air as a GPS(using Apple maps TomTom) and it worked great. I put velcro on the backside of the cover and then stuck it to my dash pad. Worked great for 460,000 miles.
My arm gets too tired holding the device while driving down the road!

Most people want the larger screen, easy methods to download maps, and a few other bells and whistles that most handhelds don't provide.