The best camera bag ever? The Alta Sky 51D Review

• HTML tutorial

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

So, everyone seems to like my videos so I thought I would post this. I think photography, and videograpy go hand in hand with overlanding. You may be just using your camera phone to take pics, but if you are like me, you are using something a bit more expensive. So, I wanted some nice case for my stuff. In the end, I found I basically never used them and they took up a TON of room. So I did some research and I found this bag, the Alta Sky 51D and it is super nice. If you are looking for something, I would highly recommend! As always, like and subscribe. But, also, what are you using to tote your gear wround. I actually still have more gear and I am looking for additional methods. If anyone has a good method for toting a Ronin S with a camera attached, please, lemme know!!!!!!!!

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

The reason it opens from the back is so that if you need to work out of it you can lay it down in the wet and not get the straps soaked. Though it looks a little touch with the way the straps are mounted. It looks like it will stand up when set down on the bottom? I wonder how easily that bottom storage will be to work out of. It does not scream camera bag at least when you don't have stuff strapped to it. (better when you are headed downtown.)

I currently spend most of my time with a Lowepro Whistler BP 350. those little pockets may be for tripod legs when when strap them on the side? the other nice thing is does is work out of the passenger seat, when I am traveling alone. This bag should do the same.

Thanks for the review. Camera bags are a weakness for me.

Reactions: Jason Baker

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

The reason it opens from the back is so that if you need to work out of it you can lay it down in the wet and not get the straps soaked. Though it looks a little touch with the way the straps are mounted. It looks like it will stand up when set down on the bottom? I wonder how easily that bottom storage will be to work out of. It does not scream camera bag at least when you don't have stuff strapped to it. (better when you are headed downtown.)

I currently spend most of my time with a Lowepro Whistler BP 350. those little pockets may be for tripod legs when when strap them on the side? the other nice thing is does is work out of the passenger seat, when I am traveling alone. This bag should do the same.

Thanks for the review. Camera bags are a weakness for me.
Omg, well then, that is genius then! I posted this video elsewhere and somebody said the strap that goes on the back is so you can slide it onto rolling luggage over the bar! Lmao. Like this is so clever. The small pockets may be for tripod legs, but I could only see it fitting one and its sorta snug. I gotta tell ya tho, its a slick bag. And yeah, it sits perfect on its bottom. The bottom lens part works well, I think the way it was set up is really only good for shorter barrels like a 14mm. Etc. My 70-200 didnt fit at all. Overall, I am loving it. But, to be honest, I dont have it set up well yet.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Omg, well then, that is genius then! I posted this video elsewhere and somebody said the strap that goes on the back is so you can slide it onto rolling luggage over the bar! Lmao. Like this is so clever. The small pockets may be for tripod legs, but I could only see it fitting one and its sorta snug. I gotta tell ya tho, its a slick bag. And yeah, it sits perfect on its bottom. The bottom lens part works well, I think the way it was set up is really only good for shorter barrels like a 14mm. Etc. My 70-200 didnt fit at all. Overall, I am loving it. But, to be honest, I dont have it set up well yet.
Took me about 6 months of moderate use to get a smooth flow with it. The luggage bar makes sense. The Whistler is snug with my big 2.8 telephoto.