The 2-Box (Front Runner) Camp Kitchen

• HTML tutorial

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

Over the years I have learned through trial and error what my needs are in a camp kitchen. While I truly lust over high end chuck boxes that fit everything, those sort of set ups do not fit my requirements, which are primarily:

1. Portability between vehicles - I have a truck and my girlfriend has a compact wagon. We require a kitchen that works for both vehicles. So a built in set-up is not an option for us.

2. Easy handling - avoiding one big heavy box. The issue with a chuck box is that is takes two people to safely lift. I could probably manage (even in my declining state), but if my girlfriend wanted to use the set up for a horse riding weekend then it would be a no go. Also, as I get older I have become more aware of the need to avoid injuries. A sprained back is a trip ruiner.

I settled on the front runner boxes because they are sort of a goldilocks box to me. Not too big. Not too small. Not too heavy. Not too flimsy. Easy to carry by a female, stackable, and compatible with a host of front runner stuff.

Box 1:
Magma 7 piece cookware set
Camp Chef Cast All Purpose Chef Set (spatula, tongs, chef knife, serving spoon)
Roll of garage bags
Dish scrubber
LED Lamp and spare batteries
Camp Chef table mounted LED lamp
Spare propane
2 Random can cozies
Lodge dutch oven liners
Dutch over cookbook
12 oz Kid's Kleen Kanteen (cooking oil)
12 oz Kid's Kleen Kanteen (dish soap)
French Press (the press knob is a bit tall for the lid so I take it off to store)

Box 2:
2 collapsible wash basins
Coleman 24-Piece Enamel Dinnerware Set (sans the mugs which we never used)
2 Stanley mugs
2 stainless pint glasses (good beers taste better out of the bottle or can)
Salt
Sugar (in a pill bottle)
Toothpicks (in a pill bottle)
4 cutting boards
2 kitchen towels
2 wood cooking spoons
Camp kettle

This setup isn't perfect. The camp stove is carried separately and so is the dutch oven (which we don't always bring), but so far so good. And contents can change on my needs and what I am doing but these items are what I mostly carry.

Doing this post made me realize that I don't have a can opener, so I'll add that to the list. Please feel free to make any additional suggestions.

IMG_6583.JPG IMG_6591.JPG IMG_6592.JPG IMG_6587.jpg IMG_6586.JPG

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That looks like a great setup you've got going! Only things I've got to add are a box of gallon zip lock baggies and a box of kitchen trash bags. You may already have both elsewhere but both are in my mess box. Also, we found out this weekend that a collapsible strainer is pretty handy. We used it for spaghetti then it doubled as a drying rack for our pots and utensils.

Reactions: willnicks

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

IMG_1268.JPG
Over the years I have learned through trial and error what my needs are in a camp kitchen. While I truly lust over high end chuck boxes that fit everything, those sort of set ups do not fit my requirements, which are primarily:

1. Portability between vehicles - I have a truck and my girlfriend has a compact wagon. We require a kitchen that works for both vehicles. So a built in set-up is not an option for us.

2. Easy handling - avoiding one big heavy box. The issue with a chuck box is that is takes two people to safely lift. I could probably manage (even in my declining state), but if my girlfriend wanted to use the set up for a horse riding weekend then it would be a no go. Also, as I get older I have become more aware of the need to avoid injuries. A sprained back is a trip ruiner.

I settled on the front runner boxes because they are sort of a goldilocks box to me. Not too big. Not too small. Not too heavy. Not too flimsy. Easy to carry by a female, stackable, and compatible with a host of front runner stuff.

Box 1:
Roll of garage bags
Dish scrubber
Spare propane
2 Random can cozies
Lodge dutch oven liners
Dutch over cookbook
French Press (the press knob is a bit tall for the lid so I take it off to store)

Box 2:
2 Stanley mugs
Salt
Sugar (in a pill bottle)
4 cutting boards
2 kitchen towels
2 wood cooking spoons
Camp kettle

This setup isn't perfect. The camp stove is carried separately and so is the dutch oven (which we don't always bring), but so far so good. And contents can change on my needs and what I am doing but these items are what I mostly carry.

Doing this post made me realize that I don't have a can opener, so I'll add that to the list. Please feel free to make any additional suggestions.

View attachment 21261 View attachment 21263 View attachment 21264 View attachment 21265 View attachment 21266
OK it is a bit later here, and I am going to dive into pictures. Like you I am using the Frontrunner Wolf Pack and as it turns out mostly the FR Cub Pack. It just happens to fit inside my rig better than the larger Wolf Pack. I have been through a lot of box types and settled on the Frontrunner packs for the same reasons. Well made, easy tie down, and vertical sides, having the tops and bottoms the same overall dimension. That's were most other packs go wrong and become hard to nest and take up mimimal space. So this is a work in progress. This is the basic garage set up.
IMG_1263.JPG

Here are the typical box contents. IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

Here are the how the boxes are set up.
IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

Cub Pack
IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1277.JPG

Now this is not kitchen related, and it the Wolf Pack. I have two of these for general camp stuff. What I have learned along the way is not to over pack the boxes. Now the below images have gear that is tightly packed, but only a few items and easy to get to each one, all clearly marked.
IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1283.JPG

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

Great set up Gary. I love the labels, which is something I need to do as well. And I really like the smaller boxes in the boxes. My eating and cooking utensils go everywhere and that would be a great way to centralize them.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Great set up Gary. I love the labels, which is something I need to do as well. And I really like the smaller boxes in the boxes. My eating and cooking utensils go everywhere and that would be a great way to centralize them.
So every now and then, I buy something and think why did I do that. Well that label printer, that I use with my computer was the last one, and it has just been the best things ever. So easy to use, prints in seconds, bang label goes on. I went on a mission to find smaller boxes to organize and make stuf easy to find, use, and store again. So far so good, but there has been a learning curve to that. That is one you just need to spend money on and see what works and what does not. In the long run, it has been money well spent. Enjoy...

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

We use a similar setup too but on recent tag-a-long trip we opted to put together a canvas bag with just the essentials to make tea or coffee on the trail. That way we weren't having to unpack any boxes for a quick stop. I like the Front Runner or wolf style boxes as a couple stacked make a decent seat. Even bought a cushion the exact dimensions to fit on the top.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Box 1:
Roll of garage bags
Dish scrubber
Spare propane
2 Random can cozies
Lodge dutch oven liners
Dutch over cookbook

Box 2:
2 Stanley mugs
Salt
Sugar (in a pill bottle)
4 cutting boards
2 kitchen towels
2 wood cooking spoons
Camp kettle

View attachment 21261 View attachment 21263 View attachment 21264 View attachment 21265 View attachment 21266
Where did you get the 805 pint glasses?

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

My dad picked them up a few years ago at the brewery in Paso Robles.

A bit shocked there aren't OB steel pint glasses @Michael, you know, for safety.
I found them on their website. Only $7 plus 15% off because it is tax day. Thanks.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Box 1:
Roll of garage bags
Dish scrubber
Spare propane
2 Random can cozies
Lodge dutch oven liners
Dutch over cookbook

Box 2:
2 Stanley mugs
Salt
Sugar (in a pill bottle)
4 cutting boards
2 kitchen towels
2 wood cooking spoons
Camp kettle

So im assuming you pack your stove separately. Have you looked at a stove that would fit inside of that setup? Thats the goal I have been moving towards.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I looked into that.. but i fear it would have to be 2 seperate stoves with 1 burner or a stove with incredible small burners.. most stoves i found in europe at least were bigger then what would fit in a FR box.

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I concur, I have a basic Camp Chef two buner stove. Average size for a two burner. I looked at a lot of boxes and found nothing that would really work. Home Depot just started selling a small version of the black crate yellow lid box. That would work, but once packed gets heavy, and it has a big lid. Lids that go over the edge of the box and are not the same size as the bottom of the box, quickly eat up interior space in your rig. You can put them side by side, one being upside down to pack these better. I just don't like that method as it can lead to a lid failure.

Reactions: Mike M and Art

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

So im assuming you pack your stove separately. Have you looked at a stove that would fit inside of that setup? Thats the goal I have been moving towards.
Something I am moving to as well, albeit slowly. Right now I have a Stansport Outfitter which has 50k BTU output and sort of spoils me. Boils water incredibly fast. But do I really use more than one burner at a time? 95% of the time no.

With respect to the front runner boxes, you have just under 18" inches of width. I have looked into it, and there are a couple 2-burner stoves that just barely don't fit. Like the Eureka Spire and the Primus Kinjia. Frustrating.

But the newer Jet boil Genesis folding stove would fit easily and I am keeping my eye on it. However reviews are hit or miss with regards to regulator failures. So I will wait for them to sort that out. I actually like their one-burner Half Gen stove a bit more than the folder. Both of their stoves allow you to daisy chain the gas supply too, which is a nice feature. The Jet Boil stoves are very pricey though. Coleman has a folding model too, which is much cheaper, but it gets poor reviews as to flame regulation.

Edit: the single burner Eureka Gonzo deserves a mention as well.

ONECOL2.jpg ONECOL.jpg

Last edited:

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

I looked into that.. but i fear it would have to be 2 seperate stoves with 1 burner or a stove with incredible small burners.. most stoves i found in europe at least were bigger then what would fit in a FR box.

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app
I believe the Primus Onja would just fit. I am not sure if it is a good stove. The configuration seems strange to me. And not an option for me because I use propane.

Reactions: Kumayama

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
Where did you all buy the Wolf/Cub packs? I am looking online and they are either sold out or $30 (each box!) to ship to MN.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Where did you all buy the Wolf/Cub packs? I am looking online and they are either sold out or $30 (each box!) to ship to MN.
Call the Frontrunners Agoura Hills store, ask for Bryan, although he might be on vacation right now, anyone can help. If you talk to him use my name and see if you might be able to work out a discount, not saying he will, but give it a try. Gary
upload_2018-7-18_19-8-10.png