The 12oz "Shower" - how do you keep clean?

• HTML tutorial

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Here in AZ we need lots of water when we go out, especially in the heat. Since it's a constant battle between room for water and room for gear, especially if our whole family of 5 is going out, I think we've gotten pretty good at conserving our water. One of the 'luxuries' that consume our water are showers. On one day or two day trips, it's no big deal for me to skip a proper cleaning, but on anything longer, it really makes a huge difference in how I feel if I can get clean every day.

I've come up with what I call "The 12oz Shower". I've told a few people about this here and there and thought I'd share it to the wider audience and also ask how you all stay clean out on the trail.

Supplies needed:
  • General purpose spray bottle
  • A chamois (or similar)
  • Soap - any kind will do, liquid or bar.
  • Wash basin - we use a collapsable one for easy storage.

The real keys to this shower are the spray bottle and the chamois. The spray bottle helps effectively use the water, and the chamois helps with re-use of the water for the length of the "shower".

Preparation:
  1. Make sure you have at least a few ounces of water left in your spray bottle. We use our spray bottle for washing dishes and things as well, so we just always keep it filled.
  2. Add the chamois and about 8-10oz of water to the wash basin. I typically put just enough in to get the chamois fully saturated with water.
  3. Have your clean clothes ready and take them along to wherever you are going to shower.

The process:

1. Find a really nice location where you'll have an epic view during your shower. I like to find a secluded enough location where I can just strip down to full freedom. I look for a place where I can stand on something like a big rock surface so my feet won't get muddy or grimy as I shower. This process could be followed inside a shower tent as well.
  2. Using the spray bottle, mist your whole body to get it a little wet but not soaked - we are conserving water, don't forget!
  3. Take a little bit of soap in your hands and lather it up, then rub it around your body. Don't forget the important bits! I use just enough soap to keep me fresh, remember, the more soap you use, the more water you might need to rinse it off. Skip your feet, we'll get to those later.
  4. Take the saturated chamois and use it to wipe-rinse your body. I wipe it all over like I would a dry towel, except instead of drying my skin, it leaves it wet but now mostly soap free. Be careful to avoid squeezing water out of the chamois if you can avoid it.
  5. Squeeze-dry the chamois into the wash basin, get it as dry as you can, and capture as much of the greywater as you can - we will be using this again.
  6. Using the spray bottle, mist your whole body again
  7. Use the now-dry chamois to dry off your whole body, don't worry about your feet just yet, we're almost there!
  8. Now that you are mostly clean, feel free to put on some clothes again if you wish, but leave your socks and shoes off!
  9. Take a seat, or if you can balance like a flamingo, just step into the wash basin.
  10. Using the grey water and the chamois, give your feet a good cleaning inside the basin, recycling the grey water back into the basin as you go. Squeeze the chamois dry (back into the basin!) and use it to dry. I like to keep my socks and shoes right nearby so I can slip each cleaned and dried foot right into a clean sock and shoe to avoid stepping my nice clean feet back into the dirt.
  11. Squeeze out the chamois and dump out the grey water. You're done!
I find the whole process takes me about 10 minutes give or take, and lemme tell you, I feel like a million bucks afterwords.

Q & A:

Is this as good as a shower at home?
No way, but it sure feels close.

How do you clean your hair?
I'm lucky in that I have a very short haircut. I typically just take the wet and slightly soapy chamois during the rinse step and rub it all over my hair. Those with long hair may have to skip the hair wash, or at least not wash hair every day.

Does this really only consume 12oz of water?
I'm guesstimating, but yeah, I put about 10oz of water in the basin, and usually only use up about 2oz from the spray bottle. YMMV, but the main idea is not that you only use 12oz of water, it's that you use significantly less than most other trail showers.

What about in winter?
What's that? I'm from Arizona. Ok, but seriously, I could see this process still working using warm/hot water in the basin and standing inside a pop-up or tent.

Now that you know how I keep clean, do you have any water-conscious shower tips of your own to share?

Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I got one of those big wet wipes from Shower Pouch in my swag bag for Off the Grid last week, gonna give it a try on our next outing - likely this weekend

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I just use wet wipes on my face, pits and junk typically, which is suitable for the length of trips we do (no more than 7-8 days usually). We do try to squeeze one real shower in there, but it's usually by finding a campground or someplace where you can pay to shower.

riotcontrol

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Speedway, IN
Member #

I have recently been using "Epic Wipes".

Huge wet wipes basically. They work pretty well.

I second this. I keep a pack of them in the back of the FJ for any necessary needs. Usually the GF is the one that wants to be clean, I don't mind going a couple days without showering.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Great writeup Brien.

I generally go for wipes but sometimes if you've been bogged down or doing recovery all day then something a little more comprehensive would be more welcome so I might put together a little kit like this.

Reactions: MBroenkow

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

If its anymore than a couple of days, I pack my solar shower and a small bar of soap. I hang it from my high-lift jack which is mounted to the roof rack on my FJ. After 2+ days without a shower, it doesnt matter if the water is cold, hot, warm, whatever. Just getting a simple camp shower is amazing.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Do those solar showers really have enough pressure for it to feel cleansing? I always imagined it would just feel like water coming out of a tube connected to a bag. Is there more magic to it or is it no good at hiding what it is?

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

It works great for what it is. More than enough for a quick shower. My only problem was hanging it up high enough. Im over 6 ft so I had to crouch quite a bit when it was hanging off my roof rack. The pressure is good enough for me.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Had this for a couple years, works surprisingly well and provides plenty of water if use a 2 liter soda bottle. Can go the solar route if a sunny day, otherwise heat water on a stove/fire, fill bottle and ta-da. Need a burst of water pressure? Just give the bottle a squeeze.
Might be a few objections if used in the buff and you're in a KOA or other place with dense camping sites.
https://www.simple-shower.com/

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

I just use wet wipes on my face, pits and junk typically, which is suitable for the length of trips we do (no more than 7-8 days usually). We do try to squeeze one real shower in there, but it's usually by finding a campground or someplace where you can pay to shower.
Same same

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Wet wipe ho bath or a pan of water with wash rag ho bath. I shave my head so shampooing my pretty locks is not an issue. My beard on the other hand gets washed daily.

Reactions: Graeman

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have been using the full body style wipes. I've found that some work better than others for me. I recently used some biodegradable ones I found on Amazon for cheaper than my usual ones that do not biodegrade. I used the ArcherOG wipes over my usual Life Elements Actions Wipes.

Reactions: khorsa