Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I stopped by the 4wp in plano yesterday specifically to get a new ohv sticker for 2020, and i was told that they can no longer sell them and the tpwd has made it harder to get, also that there is a huge backlog on them at the tpwd. Whats going on has our ohv program collapsed? Are the ohv parks going to loose the affiliation and funding to build more trails? Im not sure whats going on but something isnt right. If you have any idea lets hear it.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Interesting. An insurance place in Garland sells them I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they still sell them. The owner is a Jeep guy so carries them for his clients. They just built a new OHV park I think last year. I wouldn't think it's collapsing but it's not like there's much OHV access in this state to start with.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Interesting. An insurance place in Garland sells them I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they still sell them. The owner is a Jeep guy so carries them for his clients. They just built a new OHV park I think last year. I wouldn't think it's collapsing but it's not like there's much OHV access in this state to start with.
We have quite a few ohv parks just not in our area, however my main purpose for the sticker is to be able to get in certain places around the lakes without getting a ticket.
Im not sure if the 4wp guy was blowin smoke up my rear but would like to know.
I normally order mine online from tpwd but i was in town yesterday so decide to stop by and pick one up. There is a little jeep shop on 380 in princeton that usually sells em to they didnt have any but didnt say why.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I always get them at my local cycle shop in Denton. Latest one I got was 2 months ago and had no issues and the guy had a full book of them..

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I always get them at my local cycle shop in Denton. Latest one I got was 2 months ago and had no issues and the guy had a full book of them..
The guy at 4wp acted like something just happened recently idk he was probably full of shit, ive never really liked the place to begin with they act like snobs to anyone not rolling in with a super lifted bro truck or a jeep.

Moparwoody

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Big Spring, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Hines
Member #

I know when they first were issuing the 2020 year stickers they were having issues with system not sending them out causing a backlog. It took 3 months to get mine I ordered in September last year.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I orderd mine last night on the tpwd website and it said they are in stock. Soon as it comes in ill be going back to 4wp to have a word with that guy. Unfortunately that backlog tells me our ohv parks are gonna be packed this year likely with side by sides.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I orderd mine last night on the tpwd website and it said they are in stock. Soon as it comes in ill be going back to 4wp to have a word with that guy. Unfortunately that backlog tells me our ohv parks are gonna be packed this year likely with side by sides.
Silly question...what are side by sides?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'll be swinging by an off road ship just east of McKinney off of 380 on my way home today. I'll let you know if they have any. They're listed on the state website as being a seller.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm just going to order online. I hit up Collin County off road. Wasn't real impressed. They kind of acted like I was interrupting their BS session in the front office. Asked about the OHV sticker they said "We still don't have any, sorry man."

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm just going to order online. I hit up Collin County off road. Wasn't real impressed. They kind of acted like I was interrupting their BS session in the front office. Asked about the OHV sticker they said "We still don't have any, sorry man."
Yep if its that place off 380 between mckinney and princeton they did the same to me last year. Basically ordering from tpwd or going to an offroad park is the only ways to get em now.
Ive got a feeling the offroad program isnt doing well, they built the parks originally for 4x4 then the side by sides became popular and parks got worse because they were mainly catering to them and now sxs racing is the hot thing and most parks dont have sxs race tracks, so now they have these parks with obstacles that arent quite big enough and trails too tight for 4x4 rigs.
They need to redo alot of the parks and renew interest.
Or maybe everyone finally figured out texas sucks for offroaders and they stopped buying the sticker since they arent offroading here.

Idk its really hard to get your finger on texas offroadings pulse to tell whats happening. I just know offroading was awesome here in the 80s then epa closed down alot of river/creek crossings and our state and nf shut down alot of access, then the state started the offroad program and it got little better but the last 10 years or so its seems to be on a downward slope.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yep if its that place off 380 between mckinney and princeton they did the same to me last year. Basically ordering from tpwd or going to an offroad park is the only ways to get em now.
Ive got a feeling the offroad program isnt doing well, they built the parks originally for 4x4 then the side by sides became popular and parks got worse because they were mainly catering to them and now sxs racing is the hot thing and most parks dont have sxs race tracks, so now they have these parks with obstacles that arent quite big enough and trails too tight for 4x4 rigs.
They need to redo alot of the parks and renew interest.
Or maybe everyone finally figured out texas sucks for offroaders and they stopped buying the sticker since they arent offroading here.

Idk its really hard to get your finger on texas offroadings pulse to tell whats happening. I just know offroading was awesome here in the 80s then epa closed down alot of river/creek crossings and our state and nf shut down alot of access, then the state started the offroad program and it got little better but the last 10 years or so its seems to be on a downward slope.
Bridgeport just hosted a Rock Bouncer race this past weekend or two weeks ago.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Bridgeport just hosted a Rock Bouncer race this past weekend or two weeks ago.

They do every year and barnwell does too they have to make money somehow. Every time we go its a couple square bodys cruising around the perimiter a ford raptor breaking something, 50 or more sxs, a quad or two a few dirt bikes and some trashy locals with a go kart.

Reactions: Downs