Texas camping | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Texas camping

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V

Member III

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRMA515
Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if youre running I-10, there isnt much for camping, but there are rest areas. we just did a trip out west a couple months ago and we took I-10 to just outside Fort Stockton and there is a nice rest area there with restrooms and an attendant on duty. we spent the night there and then went a little more west and then took 54 north at Van Horn and went thru the Guadalupe Mts and Carlsbad Caverns and worked our way to Santa Fe. There are several places to pull over along I-10 that just have a trash barrel, but really not any camping. There is a campground at Sonora Caverns that's a little ways off the interstate.
Heres a link. The caverns are cool to tour if you like caverns....

Ozona is also right on the interstate and has a little to offer and is closer, but texas overall is pretty slim pickings...

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Never2Late

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Abrams
Member #

Thanks for the info. I drove that stretch of I-10 years ago when working in Arizona. And I did just that. Slept at rest areas. But I was looking at getting off I-10 at Houston and start making my way north west towards Abilene to catch I-20. Then on to Lubbock. I see there are a few places on that route but never been through there before.

jeepers29

Rank V

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Thanks for the info. I drove that stretch of I-10 years ago when working in Arizona. And I did just that. Slept at rest areas. But I was looking at getting off I-10 at Houston and start making my way north west towards Abilene to catch I-20. Then on to Lubbock. I see there are a few places on that route but never been through there before.
This is the route we take to Co. Not much for camping this way either. There are a few campgrounds but nothing I would stay at other than to get some sleep for the night.

Roots66

SouthWest Region Member Rep Texas

Member III

Georgetown, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF / FEMA CERT
Agree with the lack of roadside camping in TX. My first question would be, what is you sleeping setup? If you really had to, you could stop overnight in a WalMart parking lot. However, a ground tent won't be very good in that situation. We usually look for State parks and the like, as some have free camping for non-hookups areas. When going north, we like Lake Meredith. We also use this these apps: FreeRoam & National Park Trail Guide as well as this site: www.campendium.com

• Love
Reactions: huachuca

Downs

Rank V

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Texas is almost toally lacking in anything resembling public vehicle accessible camp gounds. You'll find a few small National Forests in East Texas and a few small patches of BLM land in far west Texas.

If you're looking for dispersed camping I suggest either designing a route that bypasses Texas entirely or power though as fast as you can to get to NM which is has more than one sizeable easily accessible National Forest.

There's a reason I don't "overland" in Texas. Because overlanding here is being trapped between two barbed wire fences as you cross the state on county and farm roads.

• Haha
Reactions: Offroadnutz

Never2Late

Rank III
Adventure

Member III

Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Abrams
Member #

This is the route we take to Co. Not much for camping this way either. There are a few campgrounds but nothing I would stay at other than to get some sleep for the night.
I think I’m gonna change my route and move up to I-20 through Dallas. On the west side of Fort Worth there is the LBJ grasslands that you can disperse camp in. It’s about at the halfway mark to Santa Fe.

TahoePPV

Rank VI

Member III

Buda, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What time of year are you planning this trip?

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank II

Contributor III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Thanks grubworm for the above information on I-10 rest stops/camping loacations. That is helpful.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of dispersed campgrounds in the Houston, San Antonio and Austin areas? Any information or resouirce links would be appreciated.

Starting early October, I will driving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, making a prolonged stop in Texas.

Downs

Rank V

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thanks grubworm for the above information on I-10 rest stops/camping loacations. That is helpful.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of dispersed campgrounds in the Houston, San Antonio and Austin areas? Any information or resouirce links would be appreciated.

Starting early October, I will driving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, making a prolonged stop in Texas.
Dispersed camping is something you just won't find a lot of in Texas. Especially around those cities unless you want to setup camp in a homeless camp.

Longshot270

Rank V

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

TPWD has an app where you can either see images of the parks in alphabetical order or a map if you want to search by route and proximity.