Tesla Powerwall - The Future of Off Grid Living?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Viking1204

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Member #

I stumbled on this while researching Off Grid living and just think it is amazing. When you think about how much batteries can cost to support an off grid home this package from Tesla once they get their Off Grid version might be the ticket. I know we all do Off Grid camping with our smaller solar and battery solutions but if you ever thought about living completely Off Grid this might be the ticket! My goal some day is to live completely Off Grid on some acreage where my boys and I can also deer hunt here in NW Florida so I'll be keeping my eyes on their Off Grid version coming soon as they say!

Brewbud

Rank V

Enthusiast I

SoCal
Member #

Tesla Walls are cool tech and our available now. Technology is advancing pretty fast. Much of the tech is being driven by the electric vehicle industry. Solid-State Batteries are expected to be released within the next 5 years or so. Unlike current lithium batteries that use a liquid or a polymer for electrolyte, Sold-State batteries use a solid. These batteries will have a higher charge density and be much safer than the current lithium batteries. They should be cheaper once real production can get started too. I hope all the chatter in the battery industry about these batteries is true. It will be a game changer.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.

Advocate III

On the road in North America
Member #

I stumbled on this while researching Off Grid living and just think it is amazing. When you think about how much batteries can cost to support an off grid home this package from Tesla once they get their Off Grid version might be the ticket. I know we all do Off Grid camping with our smaller solar and battery solutions but if you ever thought about living completely Off Grid this might be the ticket! My goal some day is to live completely Off Grid on some acreage where my boys and I can also deer hunt here in NW Florida so I'll be keeping my eyes on their Off Grid version coming soon as they say!

Tesla Walls are cool tech and our available now. Technology is advancing pretty fast. Much of the tech is being driven by the electric vehicle industry. Solid-State Batteries are expected to be released within the next 5 years or so. Unlike current lithium batteries that use a liquid or a polymer for electrolyte, Sold-State batteries use a solid. These batteries will have a higher charge density and be much safer than the current lithium batteries. They should be cheaper once real production can get started too. I hope all the chatter in the battery industry about these batteries is true. It will be a game changer.

I've been watching Tesla and what they're doing with batteries and solar with great interest.

Musk/Tesla is also developing durable glass solar tiles as roof cover as an alternative to installed panels over conventional roof cover. When these solar tiles are available commercially, sounds like what they may add to the Powerwall to make it more of an off-grid solution. Here's a review on the Tesla Solar Roof V3.

The Tesla Powerwall Home Batteries really are pretty cool, though are essentially a slick package for what we, and off-grid homes, do already; a battery pack tied to solar panels. It is meant to appeal primarily to home owners who don't know or don't care to take the time to learn how to create their own system for far less pesos.

If you want pre-packaged plug-in solutions, you pay a lot more.

Interesting that they don't say it is more of a power solution than 'seven +' days. I think that's marketing in that most people know the power doesn't usually go out for more than three days.

That it detects when the grid has gone down and provides power is meant to appeal for those who have heard only about grid-tied home systems without battery storage. Makes it sound advanced and sort of magical, when in reality any conventional solar home system with battery storage automatically provides power if the grid goes down if it's tied in. Here's a bit more on grid-tied, off-grid, and hybrid systems.

The Powerwall provides only 110 power, too, no 12v. 12v DC, at least in today's world, is more a efficient use of solar. Converting it to 110AC via inverter is not as efficient. That may also be part of their 'coming soon' off-grid powerwall; that it adds 12v wiring and outlets.

All said, as @Brewbud notes, battery technology is advancing rapidly, a lot due to big companies getting on-board with electric vehicles. There is big buzz in the world of stored energy. We will no doubt see huge advancements and far lower end-user costs in batteries we can use to store solar power for off-grid, mobile systems, and residential/commercial applications.

Here's hoping they are widely available.

Last edited: