Tent safe heater.

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

So I came up with this idea based on a video I saw on Facebook. It uses a heat powerd fan so as long as it's hot the fan will run. My only issue now is how do I keep it going all night. Any ideas. IMG_20180315_192835877.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using OB Talk mobile app

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Thoughs are cool. Maybe something like that

Yeah. Might take some fabrication to have it on an actual stove though.... or something on a smaller scale perhaps...

Or maybe one of those store bought fire logs that supposedly last for 3 hrs or so.

My guess is that once you have it piping hot... you may only have to stoke it once in the middle of the night.... do it on a pee break.... then by the time it gets cold again you'll be getting up anyway.

Traveler I

Yeah. Might take some fabrication to have it on an actual stove though.... or something on a smaller scale perhaps...

Or maybe one of those store bought fire logs that supposedly last for 3 hrs or so.

My guess is that once you have it piping hot... you may only have to stoke it once in the middle of the night.... do it on a pee break.... then by the time it gets cold again you'll be getting up anyway.
So we used it last weekend with wicked good carcole it burned about 4hr. I added more at midnight and that lasted till sun up. It actually worked awesome other than the paint burning off at first. Lol once the paint was gone it worked great. I'm thinking maybe get some coals going and place a very dense hard wood at the back with the coals at the front the. Turn the air way down. Maybe it will burn most of the night. The intake for the fan needs a little refining but it kept is toasty as long as the fire was burning. The cool thing is if it gets to burned down the stove shuts off.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I would think you could do a similar deal with a Mr Buddy outside the tent, running on propane, and the heat-powered fan would run as long as the propane holds out. I've used a Mr Buddy in my outdoor kitchen to warm an immediate area and have thought about making a plenum of sorts that is then ducted with a 12v fan to wherever I want, tent or van, etc.

I've run the Mr Buddy in my van's living space before for an hour or more before sleeping and it's quite amazing the difference it makes. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in my OZ tent, either, though they do create moisture in the air that will then condense on cooler surfaces. I wonder how it would be to move the warm air from a plenum, though, heated by the Mr Buddy heater. Wouldn't have to haul or collect as much firewood or tend to the heat source as often.

Reactions: MBroenkow