Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I came soo close to buying one of those. Still have times I wish I had one.

Reactions: dhossk

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Cabela's double sized tent-cot on my little trailer. Has worked out well. I removed the outer legs, and had a custom cover made for the tent-cot. To get in, you step on the little
fold-down step (seen by the ammo can), then up on the cooler, and then into the tent.
CA pre-run.2 (3).jpgOverland Adventure.7.jpgTent cot Cover.3.jpgOverland Adventure.6.jpg

Yaniv

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Israel
First Name
Yaniv
Last Name
Eliash
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
4X5DL

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Cabela's double sized tent-cot on my little trailer. Has worked out well. I removed the outer legs, and had a custom cover made for the tent-cot. To get in, you step on the little
fold-down step (seen by the ammo can), then up on the cooler, and then into the tent.
View attachment 164561View attachment 164562View attachment 164563View attachment 164564
I have the same cot, It's awesome! I really like the cover you had made, I still have to get around to making one for mine instead of the carry bag that it comes in. For now it's just waterproofed so it can take on some rain while I'm travelling.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I've had mine for about 4-5 years now (see pics in post #4 above), and have slept in it probably close to 50 times so far. I've literally crisscrossed the country with it, been up to Canada more than once, and recently came back from a week-long overlanding trip running the WABDR. So I've learned a few things over the years. Here's what I've learned if you're considering something like this.

Positives:

1. This Cabela's Double Tent Cot is built like a tank. It is very solid, and even has cup holders inside and pockets. Lots of attention to detail. But it only weighs about 45lbs (with the outside legs removed). A regular "real" soft RTT will start at 100lbs and goes up from there. Mine is mounted to the lid of my trailer (bolts through the legs), and I can still open the lid with it up there (with the tent-cot either folded down and stored, or opened-up).

2. Very easy to set-up and take-down when mounted on the trailer. It is at a nice level for reaching stuff. Unfold one side, unfold the other, secure ends with provided straps.. done (still need to do the rainfly if so desired).

3. When folded down, it doesn't take up much space.

4. Is plenty long inside. I use a 3" thick ALPS inflatable mat, and sleep well.

5. Plenty of screens on the doors or you can close it shut. I was in I swear a windstorm by a lake in Texas last year, and had to button-it-down while sleeping inside. Tolerated it just fine.

6. I like the rainfly that comes with this thing; it makes a nice awning to cover the doors. When I got it, I sprayed seam sealer on the all the seams. Have never had a leak (and I've been in plenty of rain with this thing).

7. Because it is relatively small inside with the low ceiling, it stays warmer than if you were in a big tent.

8. Because it is double-wide, there's room (if you're going solo) for your next day's clothes, gun(s), dogs, etc. to be right beside you.

9. I usually have my crocs outside and underneath the tent-cot door (sitting on top of the trailer lid), so if I'm getting up for a midnight pee, they're right there.

10. It gets a lot of attention (if that matters to you).

Negatives:

1. There is a pole running down the center on the floor, so you can't sleep "in the middle". You've got to pick a side to sleep on, and lets just say each side is wide enough and no more (25"?). This thing is made for sleeping in, and that's about it. I've always slept solo in this thing, so I can't comment on two people sleeping in it. I usually use a double-sized sleeping bag that goes fully from side-to-side so I can always throw an arm or a leg over on the other side if I want (I don't like mummy bags).

2. You can't sit up in this thing. There isn't enough head room. So if you're going to change your clothes inside, plan ahead.

3. The top of the tent is flat, so water and snow can collect up there. So if you're in a rainstorm, every so often you need to push the water off.

4. You can't store things in the tent when closed up (like mats or sleeping bags).

5. Because the tent-cot sits on top of the trailer, putting the rainfly on is sometimes a bit of a challenge if it is the least bit windy (again; I'm standing on the cooler when putting on the rainfly). Somehow I always manage to get it done though without too much cursing.

6. To make the awning work with it being on the trailer, I had to get some Army-Surplus tent poles (I like them because they break down and I can store them in the folded tent-cot) and put some cups on the trailer for the ends to sit into. Not a big deal, but the awning poles that come with it are fine if the tent-cot is set-up on the ground; but too short if mounted on a trailer. See picture #2 in post #4 above so see the poles. The awning also likes to pool water and snow.

6. The bag the tent-cot comes with will no longer work once you've mounted it to a trailer. You'll need to either modify the cover, or have one made. Mine was made by a very reputable (i.e.: not cheap) upholstery shop when I was at Ft Hood TX, and they did an extremely good job with quality parts and zippers, making it form-fitting, and it cost about $450. (Detailed pictures in the next post). I'm figuring now that a template has been made, it would be cheaper the next time to have another one made (although I'm in WA now, not TX). It is also a little bit of a pain to get all the zippers started to zip when closing it down (a little awkward to get in there to get them started). If I had to do it over again with the cover, I'd go with Velcro and snaps instead of zippers.

7. If the Tent-cot is mounted on a trailer, you've got to figure out a way to get inside it. Currently I have a fold-down step on my cooler tray (you can see it in pictures 2 & 4 in post #4 above), then I step on the cooler, and then into the tent. You gotta be a little careful getting out of the tent back to the ground, especially if going for a midnight pee. I tried a collapsible ladder, but it took up too much space in my trailer, and the spare tire on the back of the trailer interfered with setting it up. And I had to kinda strap it to the tent-cot frame, which meant I couldn't open the trailer's lid with it there. So the ladder is sitting in my shop being unused.

All-in-all I've been very happy with it.

There are other double sized tent cots out there (google "Double sized tent cots" and you'll see). Here's one:
Tent cot with high roof.PNG

I haven't seen this one in person, but it looks like a similar design as the Cabela's double sized tent cot. However, it has a raised roof, so that would be nice to be able to sit-up inside with (wish mine did) and keep water and snow from pooling on top. My only concerns are clipping the roof fabric to the rods going from each side. It might be hard to reach if the tent-cot is mounted on top of a trailer (unless you've got really long arms or a ladder). And it looks like it only has one strap on each side supporting the outside edge to the legs (vs. two on each side for the one from Cabela's). This might make a difference when mounted on a trailer when you're removing the outside legs as these straps help support your weight.

Cabela's Tent Cot.PNG
camping.1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakes355

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Close-up pictures of the tent-cot cover if you're interested in making one for yourself. It isn't 100% waterproof as you can see around the leg openings, but I've never had any issues driving in rain (and I've done a lot of that).

Think of the underside opening as a large "U" going from the front side corner, all the way to the back, across the back, and back to the front corner on the other side. There are five separate zippers on this thing (two on each side between the legs, and one across the back). The top and bottom halves are permanently connected at the front.

So when I take it off, I unzip and disconnect all five zippers, and then pull the whole thing forward to remove it (and then kinda fold it up and stick it under the tent-cot or on the passenger side floor cause you've gotta put it somewhere). When putting in back on, I put the top half on, and then bring the underneath part starting at the front of the trailer and bringing it to the back underneath the tent-cot, and then start zipping the zippers (save the one across the back for last). Does that make sense?

Attachments

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Decided to make a rack for my trailer, this way I’m able to open my cot and sleep on my trailer as per the ground. It won’t be an every time thing, more or less when I’m solo camping.
ps, this is brilliant too
I'm thinking about this on my Rubicon
excellant without the top or a rack, just attach it direct to the roll bar

should be fabulous for short overnite excursions close to home

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I just happened to be at Cabela's today (Olympia, WA), and they had both sizes of their tent-cots in stock. Just sayin....