Tatra . Anyone familiar ?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Heller

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Africa
First Name
Owen
Last Name
Heller
On the southern tip of Africa a man is dreaming up some serious stuff . Building an off road truck from a base of a T815-7 Tatra truck . The picture I am showing is very much the item.
800px-Tatra-T815_780R59_PICT0028.jpeg

Reactions: Baipin

Billiebob

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Nakusp, BC V0G 1R0, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

Big fuel tanks. Big VISA bill filling them. Bigger VISA bill if you get stuck.

Gorgeous truch tho for wide open spaces.

Last edited:

Heller

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Africa
First Name
Owen
Last Name
Heller
Africa is slowly coming forward as a destination . There is still a requirement for a fairly rugged vehicle . The Tatra fits the bill well. It definitely is a third world vehicle . Thanks this far for a fairly nice response to my opening salvo of posting .Hope to bump into some of you on the journey.

Reactions: MazeVX

Dilldog

Rank V

Advocate II

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
W
I have a casual fascination with Tatras. As an HD truck mechanic Im really into the nuts and bolts of things, and how Tatras are built is super cool. Look up the Tatra swinging axle, its a wild design that they have been building since the 1930s. Also the sound of the air cooled V12 diesels they run is awesome...
And for your viewing pleasure, Tatras in action...

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI

Advocate I

Gießen Germany
Member #

They are massive capable trucks, didn't know they were used in South Africa?
Is it easy to get spares and stuff?
Tatra and kamaz would be my first choice for traveling in the east.

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Amazing. I've always wondered if anyone has ever imported Soviet trucks like the GAZ/Ural/Tatra/Kamaz/UAZ ones to North America? Practicality and novelty aside, the Ural NEXT looks massively capable, just like the venerable Ural-4320. The smaller GAZ Vepr NEXT would be one helluva' conversion van too:

I've heard of people importing the UAZ-469 "Russian Jeep", but nothing larger.

MazeVX

Rank VI

Advocate I

Gießen Germany
Member #

Amazing. I've always wondered if anyone has ever imported Soviet trucks like the GAZ/Ural/Tatra/Kamaz/UAZ ones to North America? Practicality and novelty aside, the Ural NEXT looks massively capable, just like the venerable Ural-4320. The smaller GAZ Vepr NEXT would be one helluva' conversion van too:

View attachment 101400

View attachment 101401

I've heard of people importing the UAZ-469 "Russian Jeep", but nothing larger.
And there are reasons for... Not that they aren't good, it's just the fact that the spare parts will be so expensive that it's just not worth it.
And you have very good alternatives in the US.
For European people, Russian vehicles, no matter what, are a good choice when traveling the ex soviet Staates

Heller

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Africa
First Name
Owen
Last Name
Heller
The only imports thus far is to Sudan .I have been considering a business model importing TATRA. SouthAfrican import tax is a large hurdle. 40% tax is a large chunk to overcome.Sudan is roughly 15-20% import tax. I am actually now considering using Sudan as a viable destination .