Tarp Awning

• HTML tutorial

landnyk

Rank III

Influencer II

Tryed out my new Grill/Stove today. I realized I need awning for when it rains. I'm pretty minimalist as you can see. I'm actually planning on keeping my truck stock besides adding some sliders but I'd like to see how far I can push my setup and myself with very little.

I'd like to make an awning out of a tarp. I have buckles on the tonneau cover so I would attach a side of the tarp to by attaching buckles to the tarp somehow. And my current plan is to have the other side held up by 2 tent poles. Basically the tarp would extend from the front of the bed of the truck to the tent poles setup behind the tailgate. Any recommendations or tips? Has anyone done this before? What tent poles should I use? Thanks in advance

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Only tip I can say on a home tarp cover is make sure its taunt and slant it for water to drain off and you should be fine. I've used adjustable painting poles before because at the time could not find anything strong enough as far as tent poles. I found these on amazon awhile back, and think i'm going to give these a try with my next build. I like the fact they are adjustable in height, their light, and pack down small. I use carabiners for quick hook up and take down since they a strong and fast to hook up through eyelets of tarps and you can run your tie downs through them as well with no hassle.

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

There are smaller cheap tarps that you can get from Walmart or Amazon for hammocks and expandable tent poles that would cost around the same as the tarps and painter poles.

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

Built my own this year to cover the kitchen area of the jeep when traveling. I carry extra tarps to enclose the area in really inclement weather. The poles and tarp
all roll up in them self. I use Velcro straps now when its rolled up. They stand up better to the sun. I used 4 tent poles, and Galvanized electrical conduit . a few stakes and some para cord and it will stand up to most winds.

awning 3.jpg awning 2.jpg awning.jpg

Attachments

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That is a very nice setup. Do the sides flap in the wind while extended or does the picture not show the ties at the grommets? What size tarp did you use and did you cut it down to fit?