Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

In Ohio, I believe the only insurance break you get by changing a title to ”RV” is because it would qualify as a “seasonal vehicle.”

That being said, the process to change a title is for actual school bus conversions. I don’t believe you can change the title on a van or suv in that way. Give it a shot though if you think it will work and you won’t be using the vehicle during the winter.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

No idea, Lori - though I need to add my trailer and its gear, and canoe and ebike to my policy.

I've learned a quick call to your ins agent could possibly confuse and obfuscate things rather than clear it up. A lot will have no idea what a rooftop tent even is. Others will say your vehicle needs to be registered as an RV to insure it as an RV. Still others will slough it off and say it should be added to your homeowners policy as it is something not permanently attached.

Hamilton and surrounding counties in OH can be a pain in the butt and at other times a breeze to deal with as far as title/registry and plates. I've spent a lot of time in the 513 and have always had better luck at the one in Sharonville or out Lebanon way.

Here's a thread I haven't read yet about the subject that may shed some light: Insurance for Your RTT and Other Exterior Mods .

Good luck, let us know what you figure out, as the info may help others here.

~ Road

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Something I forgot to mention in my first post: You can get the seasonal discount on just about anything (depending on your insurance company) without changing the title. I had a car that I garaged every winter and I did not pay full premium on the months it was garaged. Like @Road said, not all insurance agents are created equal. My suggestion is to call an agent from another company, tell them what you are wanting to do and ask if that type of coverage is possible. Then ask your own agent the same question. See if those answers match.