Tacoma Overland Drawer 2.0 PullKitchen project

• HTML tutorial

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
It works great. I had to change out the regulator as it was an England butane unit. A Mr Heater unit is $11, and gives the right pressure. The burners aren’t huge so don’t expect backyard bbq
Which MH regulator did you use? Should be a low pressure right???

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Which MH regulator did you use? Should be a low pressure right???
Yes 11WC pressure, WC=water column unit of pressure rating. I got the Mr Heater regulator (minus the POL)
Mr. Heater 90 degree Low Pressure Propane Regulator with POL
and then

1lb tank adapter
Mr. Heater 1/4 Male Pipe Thread x 1"-20 Female Throwaway Cylinder Thread Fitting
I then mount that under for my tank

rick.abbing@gmail.com

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

5800 Sappers Way Chilliwack B.C. V2R 0G7
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Abbing
Member #

Hi Dave, If you are going to make one for Michael's 80 I also have an LX450 same as Michaels 80 and really need a setup like this. If you are I'm hoping to see a video build. Think for the 80 it would be great to see a complete system that is connected to a Dometic Fridge freezer also. On the pullout having drawers would be a nice touch and with drawers on top to take up some of the space plus storage for tools and recovery gear. Bottom be better but then need a drop-down for the Dometic Fridge freezer and dropdown for the cooking side. So a complete cabinet for the 80 would be great. One can dream!

Reactions: asutherland

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hi Dave, If you are going to make one for Michael's 80 I also have an LX450 same as Michaels 80 and really need a setup like this. If you are I'm hoping to see a video build. Think for the 80 it would be great to see a complete system that is connected to a Dometic Fridge freezer also. On the pullout having drawers would be a nice touch and with drawers on top to take up some of the space plus storage for tools and recovery gear. Bottom be better but then need a drop-down for the Dometic Fridge freezer and dropdown for the cooking side. So a complete cabinet for the 80 would be great. One can dream!
You might need to sketch that one out for me! I read words but my mind was BLAH BLAH when I tried to build a mental image :)

I think I know what you mean
@Michael is living it up in Williams CA helping send mechanic’s kids to college

Finally got round to watching this build, hugely impressive system and quality build definitely inspirational although i might look towards a single ring cooker/sink combo like the Smev 8521(am in Europe so readily available). Have got the twin system in my Ducato van though.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Finally got round to watching this build, hugely impressive system and quality build definitely inspirational although i might look towards a single ring cooker/sink combo like the Smev 8521(am in Europe so readily available). Have got the twin system in my Ducato van though.
Thanks! Yeah it’s hard to find good combo units here in the US like you have all over Europe, not sure why that is.

Reactions: Azdirtdemon

ThePlant

Rank 0

Contributor I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Mike
Last Name
LaPlante
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am new to overland stuff. I am particularly fond of all of the project builds as I love to build stuff!!!

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I’m feeling pretty humbled that Michael did a video on my drawer! :)

——————————-
Back in June of 2018 I built a 1/2” ply Overland drawer that Michael highlighted on a walk around of my truck. It works amazing! I love everything about it, how easy it is to set up and break camp, get to vital items, and the streamlined storage. Everything about it is great except the weight. Having an outside box and then an internal drawer proved to weigh A LOT, which isn’t bad for a truck but when I add my rack and RTT I’m looking for a lighter option, though it will cost more. My plan is use 80/20 to redesign my drawer, add more utility, and cut the weigh by at least a third. The drawer is 56” long, 20” wide, and 17” high to fit under my Diamondback cover.

Drawer 1.0
View attachment 88117 Plans for the new one (brain food pictured)
View attachment 88119 View attachment 88120

New sink burner combo purchased on eBay from England. These things are everywhere in Europe but not here?
View attachment 88118

I will be updating progress as I...progress.
That burner/sink combo is great! Solves a lot of issues in a compact unit.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
That burner/sink combo is great! Solves a lot of issues in a compact unit.
Just got back from helping map trails for the Overland Bound Rally West coming up in September, and even the simple act of washing your hands easily is really nice. It’s a cool little unit

Enthusiast I

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Arndt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DHU

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey, I saw this on Youtube. Amazing build. I read through the thread and saw that you didn't talk about welding. Did this project have any welds?
Nope. I used extruded aluminum and it’s all screwed together

z59av37w1b

Rank 0

Contributor I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parkin
That's amazing. I'm looking at building a drawer system for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I don't have nearly as much space as your truck bed, but could do a 'half' unit. What's the overall length when it's not extended as well as fully extended?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
That's amazing. I'm looking at building a drawer system for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I don't have nearly as much space as your truck bed, but could do a 'half' unit. What's the overall length when it's not extended as well as fully extended?
As constructed it’s 56” long, 20” wide, 18” tall. I put up a feeler website www.pullkitchen.com to gauge interest in a product like this. I am working on a removable unit to fit SUV’s including JKU’s and Cherokees

Reactions: Boort

TundyWhite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario, Canada
First Name
J
Last Name
L
@PapaDave sorry to bug you buddy, I saw some pictures the other day on your fridge slide/tray somewhere on the World Wide Web and now I can't seem to find them anywhere.... I mostly just wanted to know how you're liking that channel system and how well it slides when fully weighted down?

Ps huge supporter of the pullout kitchen.com business idea. Has inspired a full redesign with a lot of influence on how you did your setup (imitation is the purest/most sincere form of flattery right?!). Don't know what the market is like to get a business running and profitable but wicked execution and I hope it's something that will work for you.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@PapaDave sorry to bug you buddy, I saw some pictures the other day on your fridge slide/tray somewhere on the World Wide Web and now I can't seem to find them anywhere.... I mostly just wanted to know how you're liking that channel system and how well it slides when fully weighted down?

Ps huge supporter of the pullout kitchen.com business idea. Has inspired a full redesign with a lot of influence on how you did your setup (imitation is the purest/most sincere form of flattery right?!). Don't know what the market is like to get a business running and profitable but wicked execution and I hope it's something that will work for you.
Hey I’m glad you found some inspiration, I’d love to see photos when you are done. The slide I made works well, however it is literally a slide. So it takes a little bit of force to pull out, unlike my Pull Kitchen which glides out. But my issue was clearance and I really was limited due to the height of my fridge.

TundyWhite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario, Canada
First Name
J
Last Name
L
Hey I’m glad you found some inspiration, I’d love to see photos when you are done. The slide I made works well, however it is literally a slide. So it takes a little bit of force to pull out, unlike my Pull Kitchen which glides out. But my issue was clearance and I really was limited due to the height of my fridge.

Thank you very much Dave!

Yea driving a Tundra with a cap helps me out a ton on the space aspect but is another headache in its' own right.... My ultimate goal would be to have a system that can fit 2 mountain bikes under the cap as well as a "2 drawer system" like you've got.

I've got the winter to design and start building in the spring once it's warm enough. It's going to be a phased build with the pull out kitchen being the last step but ill make sure I update with some pictures as we go.