Contributor III

Kamloops, British Columbia
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sutherland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7HDT
Hey @PapaDave , I am designing a similar slide out kitchen for the back of my 80 series.

I just received my 9722L from ebay. The cooking area is a lot smaller than I had imagined!

Do you find pot and pan space an issue? I'm thinking of when I cook for the family, not just myself.

thanks,
Andrew

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey @PapaDave , I am designing a similar slide out kitchen for the back of my 80 series.

I just received my 9722L from ebay. The cooking area is a lot smaller than I had imagined!

Do you find pot and pan space an issue? I'm thinking of when I cook for the family, not just myself.

thanks,
Andrew
I use 8” pans and the mini griddle from cook partner, fits great.

304BBCF5-CC24-413D-ABD1-220B2651CCB5.jpeg

OverlandExpeditons

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tsouprakakis
Member #

Hey Dave! Awesome build! Curious on what you used for bed slides for both the kitchen slide on the right and cooler slide on the left to fit everything under the diamondback cover. Currently have the HD on order!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey Dave! Awesome build! Curious on what you used for bed slides for both the kitchen slide on the right and cooler slide on the left to fit everything under the diamondback cover. Currently have the HD on order!
Kitchen slides are 58” locking units from CabinetParts.com.

The left side is a DIY slide that i made to just barely fit my Dometic 75DZ

OverlandExpeditons

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tsouprakakis
Member #

Kitchen slides are 58” locking units from CabinetParts.com.

The left side is a DIY slide that i made to just barely fit my Dometic 75DZ

Awsome thanks!!

Reactions: PapaDave

Realist2011

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

California, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Douglas
Member #

Dave thank you for your posts!! Like others you are the reason why I joined this forum. I just don't have the money some people spend on their rigs. You have given me new life. I'm thinking my best route is to modify a trailer for my kitchen, however reading through your posts you said you can remove the unit with a hoist. This would allow me to transfer to from vehicle to vehicle. About how long does it take to remove? I sure would be easier to get my project by the War Department if my hobby didn't completely take over my truck. Thank you

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Dave thank you for your posts!! Like others you are the reason why I joined this forum. I just don't have the money some people spend on their rigs. You have given me new life. I'm thinking my best route is to modify a trailer for my kitchen, however reading through your posts you said you can remove the unit with a hoist. This would allow me to transfer to from vehicle to vehicle. About how long does it take to remove? I sure would be easier to get my project by the War Department if my hobby didn't completely take over my truck. Thank you
Hey thanks for the comment, glad you are here as well! I think a kitchen in a trailer would work great! This unit has 1 pin in the rear to hold it to the mount, and 1 bolt up front that screws into a rivnut through the bed. Bam! That’s it. So it takes 3 minutes maybe to remove or put in. The sliders weigh about 65lbs alone so while the unit isn’t too heavy it is a little heavy for one person so that’s why I use a hoist. My rack and tent come off as one unit to convert my truck from daily driver to off road and I hoist that as well. Good luck with the war department on your funding :)

@Kent R @2DogDad

Reactions: Boort

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey dave, awesome build.
you have skills a lot of us wish we can imitate
Like a lot of other people, you made me discover this forum.
thank you
That’s great! Well necessity is the mother of invention, and I hate bins so I got to work. I have no professional experience in building or anything, I’m in the operating room most days!

@2DogDad

A_Patt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Texas (DFW)
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Patterson
Member #

Hi Dave,

I'm new and you're setup is one of the reasons why I joined Overland Bound! Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas (kitchen, iKamper, hoist, etc) with the rest of us.

I absolutely love the idea of your pull out kitchen and I will be tuned in for more.

While watching the kitchen overview, I found myself trying to figure out how your iKamper is connected to your KB Voodoo rack (by no means am I trying to jack the thread either with this question) I'm just so curious where the iKamper connects to the rack since both the top rack bars and RTT mounting bars are running in the same direction? Are you connecting at the ends of the rack? I hope that question makes sense.

I should add, I'm new to this overland "adventure" and I currently have a Voodoo rack ordered. I've been going back and forth on the iKamper and another RTT.

Thanks,
Aaron

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hi Dave,

I'm new and you're setup is one of the reasons why I joined Overland Bound! Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas (kitchen, iKamper, hoist, etc) with the rest of us.

I absolutely love the idea of your pull out kitchen and I will be tuned in for more.

While watching the kitchen overview, I found myself trying to figure out how your iKamper is connected to your KB Voodoo rack (by no means am I trying to jack the thread either with this question) I'm just so curious where the iKamper connects to the rack since both the top rack bars and RTT mounting bars are running in the same direction? Are you connecting at the ends of the rack? I hope that question makes sense.

I should add, I'm new to this overland "adventure" and I currently have a Voodoo rack ordered. I've been going back and forth on the iKamper and another RTT.

Thanks,
Aaron
So usually RTT’s have 4 connection points, short bars that wrap around a load bar and 2 bolts that lock them into a C channel under the RTT. What I did was drill 4 holes in my rack’s top bar and I used just one of those bolts per corner to go through the rack to a nut. Essentially I bolted the tent right to the rack since my rack and tent remove as one unit. I did add a 1” square tube under the tent on each side that the bolt passes through as well to lift it 1” higher to clear my shark fin on the cab of the truck.
Hopefully that makes sense, and thanks for the kind words!

A_Patt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Texas (DFW)
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Patterson
Member #

So usually RTT’s have 4 connection points, short bars that wrap around a load bar and 2 bolts that lock them into a C channel under the RTT. What I did was drill 4 holes in my rack’s top bar and I used just one of those bolts per corner to go through the rack to a nut. Essentially I bolted the tent right to the rack since my rack and tent remove as one unit. I did add a 1” square tube under the tent on each side that the bolt passes through as well to lift it 1” higher to clear my shark fin on the cab of the truck.
Hopefully that makes sense, and thanks for the kind words!
Definitely makes sense. Would you happen to have picture of this setup? If not, no big deal. I’m thinking I’m going to need a spacer as well to get the RTT above my cab (I have a Tundra). I’m Going with 18” Voodoo Rack and I already have a Diamondback bed cover. Looks like it will be cutting it close on clearance. It looks like the tonneau brackets from KB Voodoo add 2.5 inches to the 18in rack. Trying to figure all this out before purchasing these big ticket items can be stressful...haha.
Thanks for the quick response!!

prescott15

Rank 0

Contributor I

Whidbey Island, Washington, USA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Prescott
New floating drawer design with hidden slides. Big red :)
Self contained water and power
Even teenagers like to cook with it
View attachment 140620View attachment 140621
Hi Dave, thanks for the inspiration! My 9722 is arriving today and collecting all the other parts to start my trailer rig. That looks like a rotopax water jug on "Big Red" making it totally self contained and I'm sure keeps the water lines from dragging as you pull it in and out from the original design. Did you use a rotopax mount to the aluminum or a custom mount? Thanks again for sharing!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hi Dave, thanks for the inspiration! My 9722 is arriving today and collecting all the other parts to start my trailer rig. That looks like a rotopax water jug on "Big Red" making it totally self contained and I'm sure keeps the water lines from dragging as you pull it in and out from the original design. Did you use a rotopax mount to the aluminum or a custom mount? Thanks again for sharing!
Good eyes, yes we used a standard non-locking rotopax mount

Be sure to share some photos of your build!

jcd0129

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Dodson
I have been crazy busy with work and won’t have time to finish this drawer for my trip this week on The Mojave Road. But I am excited to get this build done hopefully next week. All of my 80/20 came in and it’s light and machined really well. The rounded edges are nice and though expensive the rounded Tri-corners look awesome View attachment 89945
PapaDave, I'm on the tnutz site and I found the smooth quarter round t-slotted aluminum but there's a million tap/counterbore/drill thru/etc options. I don't know what it would entail but would you be able to share the options you went with? Did you make any cuts after the fact or did you get it right the first time?