Rank I

Contributor III

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Big
Last Name
Totoro
Hey!

This build was the reason I joined this forum :D Looks awesome! Trying to figure out how I want to build this myself.

My biggest concern is mounting the finished unit to the truck bed. I don't want to drill into the bed of my truck, so I would have to figure out some way to use the existing bed bolts in the bottom of the bed. Perhaps even fabricate a base/platform that uses these mounts, then attach the unit to that platform.

I'll be sourcing my supplies from Canada as well, the good thing is I work with aluminum everyday.

Cheers!

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey!

This build was the reason I joined this forum :D Looks awesome! Trying to figure out how I want to build this myself.

My biggest concern is mounting the finished unit to the truck bed. I don't want to drill into the bed of my truck, so I would have to figure out some way to use the existing bed bolts in the bottom of the bed. Perhaps even fabricate a base/platform that uses these mounts, then attach the unit to that platform.

I'll be sourcing my supplies from Canada as well, the good thing is I work with aluminum everyday.

Cheers!
I hope it goes well! Be sure to post some photos

asutherland

Rank I

Contributor III

Kamloops, British Columbia
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sutherland
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7HDT
@PapaDave , did you use drag chain for the drinking water line as well? Do you have any pictures of it?

Currently figuring out how to extend my 1/4 inch flexible braided hose from inside to ~45 inches out. Thanks for any advice :)

Andrew

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@PapaDave , did you use drag chain for the drinking water line as well? Do you have any pictures of it?

Currently figuring out how to extend my 1/4 inch flexible braided hose from inside to ~45 inches out. Thanks for any advice :)

Andrew
So my original design I used bungee cords to suspend my water hose from the bottom of my diamondback cover. Our production version of this kitchen now puts a Rotopax onto the back of the kitchen so the water hose is static. If I were to redo it where the tank was independent of the kitchen moving then I would use a coiled hose. Idk if a drain chain would work, maybe if the hose was flexible enough.

Here’s an example of a possible coiled hose application

Attachments

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Can I purchase this in Australia this is incredible!
Hey JamieLee

You would not believe how many people from Australia have asked me that same question. My best guess is that by 2021 we will be able to get products over there. We are still learning some of the technicalities of international shipping and customs. I am humbled because I consider Australia to be the off-road capital of the world.

jasonthorell

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Calgary, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Thorell
got mine mostly together. was somewhat like your first wooden version. We did 32" sliders to keep it under the rear hatch in case of rain. Did 1/4" Baltic birch stained and poly. fabricated some interface brackets, one up top, one underneath (extra strength on the point of greatest leverage). The remaining were polyurethane adhesive and screw in fasteners with 1/4-20 thread (they just have lateral stress on them from side to side, so worked great). I have not decided a route on the lid, as I like the coffee table lift hinge, but I also liked being able to use the storage when not extended out the back. All in, this was not that expensive, well under $1000 Canadian (no electrical, water, or built in cooktop). I was able to source t-slot from a Canadian supplier, and they offered all the mill work as well (about 80-100% cheaper than 80/20, and the Canadian vendor offers no custom cuts or milling). Thanks for the inspiration!
IMG_3124.jpgIMG_3118.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
got mine mostly together. was somewhat like your first wooden version. We did 32" sliders to keep it under the rear hatch in case of rain. Did 1/4" Baltic birch stained and poly. fabricated some interface brackets, one up top, one underneath (extra strength on the point of greatest leverage). The remaining were polyurethane adhesive and screw in fasteners with 1/4-20 thread (they just have lateral stress on them from side to side, so worked great). I have not decided a route on the lid, as I like the coffee table lift hinge, but I also liked being able to use the storage when not extended out the back. All in, this was not that expensive, well under $1000 Canadian (no electrical, water, or built in cooktop). I was able to source t-slot from a Canadian supplier, and they offered all the mill work as well (about 80-100% cheaper than 80/20, and the Canadian vendor offers no custom cuts or milling). Thanks for the inspiration!
View attachment 168990View attachment 168989
Looks awesome! Great job making a solution that fits your vehicle and needs!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
First time posting....are the plans for this or a parts list easily accessible?
Welcome to the forums! There’s so much good info on here for many different aspects of overlanding let alone many good DIY builds.
First couple pages of the thread should get you started with plans and most of the products. I don’t have a consolidated purchase list though

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have been crazy busy with work and won’t have time to finish this drawer for my trip this week on The Mojave Road. But I am excited to get this build done hopefully next week. All of my 80/20 came in and it’s light and machined really well. The rounded edges are nice and though expensive the rounded Tri-corners look awesome View attachment 89945
You done good, congratulations and good luck...it is an exciting and desirable kitchen to have.

kowbra

Rank I

Contributor III

AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Kowerchuk
First post here, and like many others I joined because of this thread. I will be building something totally different, an outdoor kitchen for my 5th wheel RV. Will take some time though as my 5th was totaled and nothing on the lots, so a new order that will be here later this year... I have some measurements of the bay in the new unit, but not enough to trust building it ahead of time...

First up, crazy cool ideas @PapaDave !!! Amazing the professional look you achieved with creative DIY components. Truly inspiring.

@jasonthorell - I am also in Canada and am interested in where you sourced your products. Also, do you have more info on the slide system you used? Thanks!

Brad

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
First post here, and like many others I joined because of this thread. I will be building something totally different, an outdoor kitchen for my 5th wheel RV. Will take some time though as my 5th was totaled and nothing on the lots, so a new order that will be here later this year... I have some measurements of the bay in the new unit, but not enough to trust building it ahead of time...

First up, crazy cool ideas @PapaDave !!! Amazing the professional look you achieved with creative DIY components. Truly inspiring.

@jasonthorell - I am also in Canada and am interested in where you sourced your products. Also, do you have more info on the slide system you used? Thanks!

Brad
Glad it inspired you and I hope the build out goes well, I’m interested to see what you come up with once you get your 5th wheel. Post some photos here when you get it done!

TiboTransit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Switzerland
First Name
Thibaut
Last Name
Chuat
Member #

So, aluminum and fasteners arrived this week. Started to assemble today. Took on some more lessons today as well. Lesson #1; being super accurate, and winging it at the same time, doesn’t meet happily in the middle. Lesson #2; cheap chinese tap kit, and no cutting fluid, gets you an opportunity to order some more aluminum...and buy some higher quality taps. Oh well, next weekend it will be better.

I have went through this forum thread front to back, instagram, and your site....I am wanting to preserve my little space I have, and put the siders on the interior as well. I can only come up with using some flat bar aluminum to create a vertical surface for the slider off the bottom rounded pieces, yes?

I thought about using the panel bracket offsets, but they don't quite match the slider depth, but a few extra washer?

I should have built this section first, then the wooden cooler platform after, since it's wood and easy to adjust. But, since I did it the opposite, and left no margin for error (Delica van, and this all fits between the rear wheel wells), I have to put the sliders under and on the interior.

It would be nice if they offered a tap service on the rounded, no?View attachment 164222
Where did you find the tslot please ?

oszkari

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
I
Nice setup! Would you mind sharing the name of the Canadian supplier your worked with?
Thanks!

View attachment 168990View attachment 168989