Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Came across these SXMA Fuel Tank Cans on Amazon today and wondering if anyone has experience, good or bad, with them?

Similar to Rotopax/Fuelpax and supposedly even works with their mounting hardware.

SMXA comes in 5 or 8 gallons with their standard Red and even comes in OD Green.

Their mounting bracket:

Reactions: MazeVX

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

No experience, but they look fairly decent based on the listing. I’d be curious to hear about people’s experiences with them as well.

...Not sure I’d ever use my spare fuel as a recovery board though. [emoji38]

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice find. They go down to 2.5 gal. Good Amazon reviews too. I may have to build a new fuel can mount and try a few.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Sandhu

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Jashan
Last Name
Sandhu
Member #

I have sxma 8 gallons tank. Took it to a 5 day off-road trail through California, Oregon, idaho, Nevada. It was mounted on cross bars on the roof. Didn't move an inch all along. Did some pretty bumpy trails. Held up perfect. It's a very solid build. A little on the heavier side but I like it.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Outside of Amazon, there is not a lot of info. I found it on Amazon Argentina though... Even the first two links for the product search via google shows broken links on Amazon. I did find a 5g on FleaBay at $189 which is quite a bit more than Roto/fuelpax.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Same here. I had them bookmarked for later. Cant find them. Amazon shows the mount only.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

That is pretty expensive for a 5 gallon fuel can. To compare:

Wavian 5 gallon jerry can: $80 ($16 per gallon)
Rotopax 4.5gallon: $99.99 ($22.22 per gallon)
SXMA Fuel Tank Cans 5 gallon: $189 ($37.8 per gallon)

2 fuel cans that look similar but can't confirm if they are SXMA:
8 gallon: $155 ($19 per gallon)
5 gallon: $119 ($23 per gallon)

For me, I can't justify the cost when the fuel can is meant as a reserve. I carry 2 5 Gal Jerry Can which gives me roughly an extra 120 miles based on 12mpg. Now, I do have a F-150 so space is not as much of an issue for me, but if it was, I would prefer the Rotopax since there is more data on them as well as the lower cost, although the 8 gallon is intriguing. I have heard of some issues with Rotopax, but overall if space is an issue, I think they would be a better choice.

Edit: Found the 8 gallon one and added it to the list.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thats odd, when I bookmarked them they were 1/3 the price of rotopax. I like the design because of how thin they are. Looks like I stay with my Jerry cans.