Suspension for f150

• HTML tutorial

Merkwier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys, it’s that time of year again and as the snow starts to melt I’m planning for another summer of overlanding. For the past year I’ve been running on 33’s with a 2” leveling kit but I’m tired of feeling like the truck is going to rattle apart when I’m going over 10mph off-road. I live in Colorado so it’s a lot of very bumpy, rocky terrain I’m going over as well as forestry service roads which turn into washboards full of potholes. I’ve decided I need to ditch the stock suspension- that is a definite. The question is, are coilovers with a remote reservoir neccisary for what I’m doing or is it overkill? I’m leaning towards FOX right now, but I’m open to suggestions, especially if you’re familiar with Colorado terrain.

TL;DR Looking for suspension suggestions for 2013 F150.

Thanks!

Attachments

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

My wife hated riding off-road with the stock suspension since it was so harsh whenever you went over rock (I thought it was great on dirt/gravel though). I upgraded to a mildly improved suspension package (Bilstein 6112s w 2" level in front, 5100s in the rear) and it is much, much improved off-road, and still good on-road (dirt or paved).

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Remote Res coil overs are definitely overkill, most people buy them because they are more expensive and look cool.

I did a ton of research and decided on the Fox 2.5 coilovers with matching rear shocks. I’m very happy and believe these are the best bang for the buck in quality systems. This system rides more rough than stock however it’s a smoother ride than Icon and others.

King’s are awesome however they have a frequent rebuild schedule. For everyday use I don’t think it’s an ideal choice.

Reactions: Merkwier

Jackson1881

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Jacckson
I too have a pair of Fox 2.5s but I spent a ton of money and opted for the adjustable remote resi.

I did this for two reasons, mainly because I was too worried about fade on long washboard roads and secondly because I found them on super sale with additional promo coupon.

That being said, I love them. Similar to Cort they do ride rougher than stock on small bumps but they soak up the big stuff like a champ. The DSC really does work and it's nice to crank them up to super stiff when crawling over technical terrain but I don't know if it is worth the $$$.

Accutune has some good information on Kings vs Fox. The latter uses better material and has a longer service life. A lot of people love Icon but I've seen the upper mount break and there are disadvantages to digressive tuning. That said, I love the Icon delta joint UCAs.

Reactions: Cort

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
All shocks should have resi's. Unless they are 4 foot long motorcycle forks. And some of those have resi's as well.

Kings are my go to, for now. Fox might have better materials, but the results I've experienced don't match that.

You have to be careful with coil overs. Some trucks will have LESS up travel with them.

Last edited:

Norcaldude707

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Jermaine
Last Name
B
I got Fox 2.5 front coilovers with resi and matching 2.5 rear shocks coming in the mail. I figure it could not hurt having resi. Especially when it comes to the possibility of fade. From all of the input from my off road friends and research on youtube, it seems that Fox suspension are a smoother ride on the street compared to other systems like ICON due to it being a progressive system. When they're on the trail they can eat up damn near everything you throw at them. Stage 3 Motorsports has a good video comparing Icon vs Fox.

Reactions: Jackson1881