Survey: Favorite Wrench Type?

• HTML tutorial

If you could carry only one COMPLETE SET of wrenches or sockets, which style is most versatile?...

• Open End Wrenches

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Box End Wrenches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combination Wrenches

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Ratcheting Wrenches

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Ratcheting Flex Wrenches

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Dog Bone Wrench

• Standard Socket Set

• Deep Socket Set

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If you had very little space, and wanted to keep weight to a minimum, but needed more than a couple of Crescent Wrenches, which style would you choose?

Last edited:

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
Short ,Pac-Man ( offset) style combination wrenches. You can Loop the box of one over the open end of another for extra Leverage. This is partially why I do my own wrenching; I tighten things up to spec , so I can get them off with a wrench if need be...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kelly

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If it could be only one it would have to be a set of combination wrenches. They are the most versatile option. But I think a set of sockets is also important.

If anything I would consider the "complete" aspect. Most vehicles are not going to need a "complete" tool kit in order to service them. And they may need some things that are not in a complete tool kit. For instance, changing out the crankshaft position sensor on a 4.0L Jeep requires about 3' worth of extensions. Those are not going to be in a "complete" socket set. It is best to match the tool kit to the vehicle.

Reactions: Kelly and pl626

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Short ,Pac-Man ( offset) style combination wrenches. You can Loop the box of one over the open end of another for extra Leverage. This is partially why I do my own wrenching; I tighten things up to spec , so I can get them off with a wrench if need be...

Can you post a photo of what you're talking about? I can't find the stubby offset combination wrenches. You did mean deep offset, right? Like this...

XSO1618.jpg

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If it could be only one it would have to be a set of combination wrenches. They are the most versatile option. But I think a set of sockets is also important.

If anything I would consider the "complete" aspect. Most vehicles are not going to need a "complete" tool kit in order to service them. And they may need some things that are not in a complete tool kit. For instance, changing out the crankshaft position sensor on a 4.0L Jeep requires about 3' worth of extensions. Those are not going to be in a "complete" socket set. It is best to match the tool kit to the vehicle.
Totally agreed! I've been searching for a vehicle specific list of needed tools, but have had no luck. Do you know a source?

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
Like this. My brother has an angled set he got from our uncle. I guess they are discontinued...

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, that's the direction I'm headed.
I always carry a 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 15mm, for anything bigger I use a socket. I also carry a cheap socket set in the truck. But they are great for all the small fixings especially in those awkward, hard to get at places and there are lots of those on a Defender.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Totally agreed! I've been searching for a vehicle specific list of needed tools, but have had no luck. Do you know a source?
I do not know of any such source. My tools are collected based on experience and bits I can glean here and there from vehicle specific forums.

Some of my best experience comes from pulling parts in the junkyard.

One other point that should be made is GET QUALITY TOOLS!

Junk tools damage fasteners, and potentially even yourself. You might be able to compromise on 6 point sockets, but anything 12 point (socket or closed end wrench) needs to be made well. Otherwise they end up rounding off the heads. And I have no idea how many cheap breaker bars, extensions and adapters I have broken over the years, but I have only broken 1 Snap On adapter and one Cornwall adapter, and both of those involved the use of leverage.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Standard or Metric?

:wink:

Note, that is not a monkey wrench. A monkey wrench is shaped more like a pipe wrench, but does not have the pivot action of the jaws or the serrated faces.

And in case you aren't aware of how to distinguish a standard crescent wrench from a metric one you just have to look at the country of origin. Made in the USA = standard. Made in China = metric. :innocent:

(And yes, my title on one of the forums where I am well known is "Wise A$$". I am very proud of it. It was one of my life goals to make the promotion from "Smart A$$")

Reactions: xnooby63

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

In the UK we have a motor accessory store called Halfords, they have a range of "professional" tools which have proved to be pretty good quality, for spanners and sockets.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I am not sure about a vehicle specific set of tools. I know that most of the sizes on my JKU are 10, 13, 15, and 18 MM. A good set of combination wrenches, sockets, and a couple of sizes of crescent wrenches would go a long way. I would think anything beyond that would mean serious trail damage and need a rescue.