JeffersonJHunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0KZH
Just got back from a great trip around lake Superior. It's a fairly popular trip with motorcyclists (I did that back in 2012) and not a real test of a good overlanding rig, but it served as a great shakedown for trips yet to come.

To see more about the route check out Lake Superior Circle Tour we essentially followed that route staying at both Canadian and USA parks. We did spoil ourselves with a two day stop in Sault Ste Marie. There is a bush plane museum in Sault Ste Marie thats worth a visit.

Here are a few photos of the rig setup for a good nights sleep.

Things I learned...

Storing stuff in the cab is a PITA. It drastically increased setup and teardown time. I plan to move to a all weather stacking box setup to try and keep all non-valuable items in the bed.

50 degrees is cold, no matter how much you snuggle! We need to invest in some nice wool blankets. I'm thinking two medium weight ones that can be layered for when it gets really cold.

The Yeti cooler needs ice every 2 days and it tends to get heavy when full of water :)

Storing your water at the back of the bed is a PITA and needs to be relocated to the spare tire carrier.

Mosquito Repellent and Tick Control mosquito repellent devices work very well. It was an impulse buy at the mammoth Cabela's in Owatonna Minnesota. We only had to use head netting once after a rain storm in Wawa, Ontario.

Turn the GPS update feature off on your camera or you will have a dead battery every time you go to use it!

Tearing down and setting up every day gets old quick. Next time I plan to spend at least two nights per location.

70 degrees beats 98 degrees every day of the week. It's way to hot back home it St Louis. My next trip needs to last all of July and August!

Cheers,
JJH

Attachments

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Just got back from a great trip around lake Superior. It's a fairly popular trip with motorcyclists (I did that back in 2012) and not a real test of a good overlanding rig, but it served as a great shakedown for trips yet to come.

To see more about the route check out Lake Superior Circle Tour we essentially followed that route staying at both Canadian and USA parks. We did spoil ourselves with a two day stop in Sault Ste Marie. There is a bush plane museum in Sault Ste Marie thats worth a visit.

Here are a few photos of the rig setup for a good nights sleep.

Things I learned...

Storing stuff in the cab is a PITA. It drastically increased setup and teardown time. I plan to move to a all weather stacking box setup to try and keep all non-valuable items in the bed.

50 degrees is cold, no matter how much you snuggle! We need to invest in some nice wool blankets. I'm thinking two medium weight ones that can be layered for when it gets really cold.

The Yeti cooler needs ice every 2 days and it tends to get heavy when full of water :)

Storing your water at the back of the bed is a PITA and needs to be relocated to the spare tire carrier.

Mosquito Repellent and Tick Control mosquito repellent devices work very well. It was an impulse buy at the mammoth Cabela's in Owatonna Minnesota. We only had to use head netting once after a rain storm in Wawa, Ontario.

Turn the GPS update feature off on your camera or you will have a dead battery every time you go to use it!

Tearing down and setting up every day gets old quick. Next time I plan to spend at least two nights per location.

70 degrees beats 98 degrees every day of the week. It's way to hot back home it St Louis. My next trip needs to last all of July and August!

Cheers,
JJH
Thanks for this! I downloaded the guide and resources from the circle tour link. We just had the thought of doing this trip recently, so I haven't really started planning, and this helps a lot. We may get off the beaten path, but it gives me a great starting point. I'm only a few hours from Sault Ste Marie, so at least we don't have a long drive to start the adventure. I think I'll be buying a fridge for the car before we do this trip. Fortunately I have a small trailer with a RTT so storage won't be a concern anymore.

Good looking rig man! I'm originally from St. Louis, and just spent a week exploring MO this summer (Osage Beach, Johnson's Shut Ins, Elephant Rocks, Hannibal, and finally went to see the arch). Hope to get back down there and spend a weekend in STL with some friends soon.