Sunray 109

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

last year I talked with a guy from Louisiana that bought one that was camping at a public camp ground, his comment was nice trailer, zero room barely fits two, one semi comfortably. He stated their was too many RV type appliances that draws a lot of amps on 12v to use offgrid or dispersed camping. He also mention on dirt roads it pulled nice until cambered dirt roads & heavier offroading wasn't its fortay being top heavy. The wife & I looked it over very well & saw exactly what he was stating. Cool looking trailer, but cool doesn't have functionality if you take deep in the woods IMO. His wife complained about it having no room, late night bathroom runs he said who ever is sleeping against the wall the one closer to the door (other side) has to get up too, both have to step outside because their aint enough room to move around inside to let the one who needs to use the public bathroom. By the link you see what I'm saying & what the owner was explaining. http://sunsettrailers.com/sunray-mini-travel-trailers/

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Trinity Florida, USA
Member #

last year I talked with a guy from Louisiana that bought one that was camping at a public camp ground, his comment was nice trailer, zero room barely fits two, one semi comfortably. He stated their was too many RV type appliances that draws a lot of amps on 12v to use offgrid or dispersed camping. He also mention on dirt roads it pulled nice until cambered dirt roads & heavier offroading wasn't its fortay being top heavy. The wife & I looked it over very well & saw exactly what he was stating. Cool looking trailer, but cool doesn't have functionality if you take deep in the woods IMO. His wife complained about it having no room, late night bathroom runs he said who ever is sleeping against the wall the one closer to the door (other side) has to get up too, both have to step outside because their aint enough room to move around inside to let the one who needs to use the public bathroom. By the link you see what I'm saying & what the owner was explaining. http://sunsettrailers.com/sunray-mini-travel-trailers/
Good information thanks. I haven’t seen one in person but this helps, I’ve got to get something after the last trip in the rain my wife she not going to sleep in tent again.
The search continues.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

I found this video about the sunray campers. It goes in depth about some issues this owner had with his camper. Here is the link.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Grey Ghost

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Trinity Florida, USA
Member #

I found this video about the sunray campers. It goes in depth about some issues this owner had with his camper. Here is the link.
I have watched all his videos on the camper. He had a bent axel, this is a guess but to bend an axel and bounce all the water out of your tanks he must have been driving pretty aggressively. That is a guess. The heater problem was probably the loose wire from bouncing as well.
I have pulled lots of 4 wheeler trailer thru the woods and back roads and never bent an axel even when I was younger and a more aggressive driver. I take everything I see on utube with a grain of salt, without knowing the person and their driving style it’s hard for me to make a decision from one guys experience. That’s why I wanted to ask here as well.
I like the layout of the little camper.
Thanks for sharing what you found.

Reactions: MoreGone

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I run a 2000lb axle on my adventure trailer & been in some rough areas, never had any issues of the axle bending nor wheel baring's going bad. I built my trailer from ground up & hand picked every part & installed it.
I know "some" folks will not remove the shipping\packing grease that protects the part sitting on the shelf from the wheel bearings & hubs thinking its a slide on install part. That's when I see wheel bearings on new axle kits, or new hubs go bad using that grease. You have to remove the shipping\packing grease & replace\re-pack with the proper grease which involves of flushing the parts in solvent to clean & removal of the grease. The possibility is that SunRay just used the grease protecting the parts instead of removing it & re-placing it with the proper grease.
The problems with his trailer are reasonable gripes, heater, water storage vent tube, but what "I've" seen in person the room inside of the trailer is like 2 folks shoved into a extremely tight area. The lay out is horrible & the kitchen is no more than RV appliances, well! crap the trailer is a street version with the axle flopped on top of the springs & big tires for ground clearance & for the cool factor.

Grey Ghost

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Trinity Florida, USA
Member #

I run a 2000lb axle on my adventure trailer & been in some rough areas, never had any issues of the axle bending nor wheel baring's going bad. I built my trailer from ground up & hand picked every part & installed it.
I know "some" folks will not remove the shipping\packing grease that protects the part sitting on the shelf from the wheel bearings & hubs thinking its a slide on install part. That's when I see wheel bearings on new axle kits, or new hubs go bad using that grease. You have to remove the shipping\packing grease & replace\re-pack with the proper grease which involves of flushing the parts in solvent to clean & removal of the grease. The possibility is that SunRay just used the grease protecting the parts instead of removing it & re-placing it with the proper grease.
The problems with his trailer are reasonable gripes, heater, water storage vent tube, but what "I've" seen in person the room inside of the trailer is like 2 folks shoved into a extremely tight area. The lay out is horrible & the kitchen is no more than RV appliances, well! crap the trailer is a street version with the axle flopped on top of the springs & big tires for ground clearance & for the cool factor.
I haven’t seen the trailer but person. But I’m inclined to agree with everything you are saying most factory built rv’s are cheaply built and the appliances are not that durable, they are ok for light use in parks but won’t stand the rigors of off road use.

S

SubeeBen

Great video but I will have to say, on his second video when he first bought the trailer he had made a comment about how he had the trailer a foot off the ground in Moab off-roading. So is the trailer not built well or is it someone doing the rubicon trail with a trailer not meant for that. IMO the guy exceeded the trailer specifications & limits. Just saying this from comments on the second video. & glad my wife & I didn’t buy this trailer because we almost bought this exact trailer before we found our T@G trailer . On that note I would still buy this trailer & just not be a dumb arse. Nice looking trailer & great floor plan & has a heater which our T@G does not .

Bailey0311

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
Verrett
Anybody have one of these, or know anything about them?View attachment 81080
I have one and love it. Husband is 6"2' and fits inside relatively well. Just got back from a 10 day off roading trip with it.
Guadalupe National Park
Lincoln National Forest
White Sands National Monument
Gila National Forest
Petrified Forest
Grand Canyon
Canyon De Chelly and a bunch in between.
Held up beautifully with flexing, hills, 20 point turns in mud lol...had ice cream in our freezer 7 days in off grid no hook ups on the Continental Divide. Performed beautifully and has everything we need.
The tires are super beefy, it actually climbed the step we use to get in the camper. Oops. Haha.
Camping/working at a Renaissance Festival now on the weekends, left the gas on for the fridge and came back to cold beer.

Attachments

seraosha

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
CRAIG
Last Name
BELLAND
I have one and love it. Husband is 6"2' and fits inside relatively well. Just got back from a 10 day off roading trip with it.
Guadalupe National Park
Lincoln National Forest
White Sands National Monument
Gila National Forest
Petrified Forest
Grand Canyon
Canyon De Chelly and a bunch in between.
Held up beautifully with flexing, hills, 20 point turns in mud lol...had ice cream in our freezer 7 days in off grid no hook ups on the Continental Divide. Performed beautifully and has everything we need.
The tires are super beefy, it actually climbed the step we use to get in the camper. Oops. Haha.
Camping/working at a Renaissance Festival now on the weekends, left the gas on for the fridge and came back to cold beer.
My wife and I are looking at these Sunrays too, they seem to be pretty loaded on the amenities for the price point, the weight limit towing with my JKU is great too.
How is long-term living in it at the renfest?